Unveiling our 2018 Dean's Dozen: The Top 12 prospects currently in the Orioles' system - Page 2 of 13 - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Dean Jones Report

Unveiling our 2018 Dean’s Dozen: The Top 12 prospects currently in the Orioles’ system

No. 1: Austin Hays, OF

2017 Statistics: .329, 32 HRs, 95 RBIs, 32 2Bs in 128 games (minors); .217, 1 HR, 8 RBIs, 3 2Bs in 20 games (Orioles)

MILB.com Player Page

A year ago, the 2016 third-round pick ranked as an intriguing yet unproven prospect. But Hays, 22, catapulted to the top of the organizational rankings with a dominant 2017 season. After hitting .328 with 16 home runs and 41 RBIs in 64 games with Frederick, he somehow did even better at Bowie. In 64 games with the Baysox, Hays batted .330 with 16 homers and 54 RBIs. The club’s no-brainer choice as the Brooks Robinson Minor League Player of the Year only hit .217 and struck out 16 times in 20 games during his first taste of the major leagues in September. But that’s an extremely small sample size. He’s easily the best of the club’s prospects. Hays isn’t a lock to start 2018 with the Orioles, but that’s where I’d put him.

February 2, 2018 at 8:28 am

Looking at Mountcastle(who I’m up and down on) and Harvey as helpers for 2018/2019. Hays and Sisco are here already. Quick off topic(if you don’t mind) question. I see where Milwaukee and Minnesota are big FA players. Tell me how those markets CAN and Baltimore CAN’T.

February 2, 2018 at 9:25 am

Keep in mind both had terribly low payrolls last year and in recent years. Much lower than the Orioles. Wouldn’t be surprised if Os is still ahead of the Twins when dust settles.

February 2, 2018 at 9:01 am

I’m high on Santander. I understand that he may not be the next coming of Dave Winfield in right field, but give him some time and I’m betting he’ll be just fine. No way does he not make the roster coming out of camp this year.

February 2, 2018 at 9:25 am

He has to stick for 44 Days. Lots of upside. I think they will weather the 44 Days.

• thebookdoc

February 4, 2018 at 9:43 am

BRR, we agree on a lot of stuff. if they check him off like Delmon Young, I’d be disappointed.

3. OsFanStuckInNY

February 2, 2018 at 9:22 am

I’d put Santander at least at #6, but other than that *great* list! (Because we agree so much.)

February 2, 2018 at 9:26 am

A solid argument can be made for him being higher. All of those in that group have untapped upside.

4. Bird Man 8

February 2, 2018 at 9:36 am

With Hays, how does “starting his clock” work? If he is on the opening day roster, compared to lets say May, does that “start his clock” earlier, and possibly bump him up a year closer to free agency? With our wait until free agency team philosophy, if waiting until May(hypothetical time) extends us a year, I’d hope we’d wait.

February 2, 2018 at 10:04 am

Technically the service time clock stated in September. But that’s basically incidental. If he starts the year with the Orioles he has six full seasons before free agency. If they hold him back a few weeks — at any point — he’d still get that 6th year. The Memorial Day date — roughly — is about arbitration and preventing Super 2 status. Which would save money. Intriguing that Santander needing to stay in the majors and Hays not getting Super 2 coincide around the same time. Just saying. … But if Hays is absolutely the best guy, I think the Orioles probably will go with him and worry about the other stuff later. We’ll see.

5. phildell

February 2, 2018 at 12:08 pm

It’s nice to see 6 pitchers on this list. However, Tanner Scott despite his velocity, doesn’t impress me. If you can’t find the plate who cares how hard you throw? I’m much more intrigued by Alex Wells. I hope he continues to develop because it would be refreshing to see a guy who can get hitters out without pushing the limits of the radar gun. As you well know Dan, it’s all about pitching. And as much as we’ve heard about pitchers not wanting to pitch in Camden Yards, if you can make hitters earn their way on base you’ll minimize damage. Nothing hurts more than a couple of walks and a three run homer.

February 2, 2018 at 12:51 pm

Totally agree. I know Dean has struggled with where to put Scott. Upside is huge — but only if he can throw strikes

6. Dblack2508

February 2, 2018 at 1:32 pm

I like Santanders potential as a hitter a lot. I watched him in the outfield and he wasn’t Mark Trumbo but needs work. Aiken reminds a bit of Danny Jackson, which would be a good thing for the Orioles. Harvey would be the story of the year if he were a September call up. I think it would better suit Hayes if he played every day .

February 2, 2018 at 3:09 pm

Honestly I’d be surprised if we don’t see Harvey in Baltimore in September. If he’s not up, it would mean either he struggles or gets hurt or the Orioles other pitchers have stepped up tremendously. I wouldn’t imagine it will be the latter.