Orioles offer contracts to Mancini, Means, Scott; Re-sign Fry, López, Santander; Sign Odor - BaltimoreBaseball.com

The Orioles are keeping all six of their arbitration-eligible players.  First baseman/designated hitter Trey Mancini, left-handed starter John Means and left-handed reliever Tanner Scott were offered contracts. The Orioles also eached agreement on one-year contracts with three arbitration-eligible players — outfielder Anthony Santander, right-hander Jorge López and left-hander Paul Fry.

Santander’s contract is for $3.1 million, according to MLB.com. FanSided reports that López’s is for $1.5 million. MASNsports.com reports that Fry’s deal is for $850,000.

MLBTradeRumors.com estimated that Santander, who earned $2.1 million in 2021, could earn $3.7 million in arbitration. López’s $1.5 million was MLBTradeRumors’ estimate. Fry’s arbitration number was pegged at $1.1 million.

Earlier in the day, the Orioles released right-handed reliever Brooks Kriske, who appeared in four games after he was acquired on waivers from the New York Yankees in September, so that he could pursue an international opportunity. They also lost infielder Lucius Fox, who was claimed on waivers from Kansas City on November 19th, to the Washington Nationals when they claimed him on waivers.

Infielder Richie Martin, a Rule 5 pick in 2018, was outrighted to Triple-A Norfolk.

Odor signs: The Orioles signed infielder Rougned Odor to a one-year contract on Tuesday night.

The 27-year-old Odor hit .202 with 15 home runs and 39 RBIs in 102 games with the Yankees in 2021. Odor hit 30 homers and drove in 93 runs for Texas in 2019 but hit .205 and led the American League in strikeouts with 178.

He’s entering the final year of a six-year, $49.5 million contract that he signed with Texas. The Rangers traded him to the Yankees last April, absorbing the bulk of the salary. The Orioles are responsible for paying Odor the minimum MLB salary.

That puts the Orioles’ 40-man roster at 38.

1. Icterus fan

November 30, 2021 at 8:13 pm

Ok Buzz, lead this thing off with a complaint about Fry.
    Here we go!

• Buzz1979

November 30, 2021 at 8:59 pm

Got to love baseball, you can perform HORRIBLY, and keep your job, waste of a uniform, he was worthless when they started checking for substances!

2. markakis21

November 30, 2021 at 8:15 pm

Let’s go!!!!!!!

I know Odor doesn’t move the needle as far as baseball skills go, but this man became an Orioles fan favorite years ago before he ever signed this deal.

Plus, importantly, he’s not Pat Valaika.

Also, Martin is gone for those of you clamoring he should go. 37 on the roster now, 38 with Odor, 2 rule V picks?

• CalsPals

December 1, 2021 at 7:04 am

No Bautista to punch around anymore…will be traded…probably get a trade bonus as well….go O’s…

November 30, 2021 at 8:25 pm

Nothing wrong with signing Fry.

I’d have preferred them to have given Santander a longer term contract, other than that, no real complaints.

November 30, 2021 at 8:45 pm

No need to do that, Ken. He was a Super Two, meaning he still has two years of arbitration left, and he’s more attractive as a trade chip without a long-term contract.

December 1, 2021 at 6:49 pm

I realize it’s all about player control … but what about going a bit extra and investing in a good player now and then?

December 1, 2021 at 7:33 pm

I would think that he would be lower on my priority list than Mancini, Mullins, Means and perhaps Mountcastle.

• Buzz1979

November 30, 2021 at 9:01 pm

LOL! Odor had Ruthian numbers compared to the 2B mess the Orioles used last year!

• willmiranda

December 1, 2021 at 10:52 am

Such comparisons are odorous.

• Icterus fan

December 1, 2021 at 11:05 am

We’re in a shambles.

December 1, 2021 at 11:52 am

Shambilicous!

4. Orioles20

November 30, 2021 at 8:40 pm

Odor is almost as bad as Davis. This is disappointing. I’ll play second for free. His last good season was in 2018. He’s only known for punching Bautista. The hell is he gonna provide here. He’s the Pedro Severino of second baseman. You think the pitchers want to be having him turn double plays. If I was means and those guys I would refuse to go pitch unless there was some quality defense behind me which there obviously isn’t.

• JerseyO

November 30, 2021 at 8:49 pm

Odor won’t make it through spring training.

• ClayDal

November 30, 2021 at 8:56 pm

Odor is only 27. The Orioles are only paying him the minimum salary-Texas is paying him 11.76 million. If it doesn’t work out they release him. No risk involved

• Buzz1979

November 30, 2021 at 9:02 pm

3 years younger than Wilkerson, who proved 3 times he’s not an MLB player!

• TxBirdFan

November 30, 2021 at 8:57 pm

I agree Odor is a bad move. The Rangers couldn’t wait to get rid of him and the Yankees made a bad move when they picked him up. So he’s been tossed by the Yankees and the Rangers, but the O’s sign him anyway. I’d rather give the job to somebody with a passion to play and improve. The O’s will regret this.

• ClayDal

November 30, 2021 at 9:06 pm

The Orioles will regret this? They are paying him the league minimum. If he doesn’t make the team they aren’t out anything. Not like he’s going to cost them a playoff spot. Literally no risk.

5. OriolesNumber1Fan

November 30, 2021 at 9:27 pm

Taking a flyer on Odor for the league minimum doesn’t hurt anything. If he should get close to the player he was a couple years ago, you could flip him at the trading deadline for a possible prospect. If not, like I said league minimum for 1 year where he maybe platoons at 2nd base with either Ramón Urías/Jorge Mateo against a tough right handed starter or at 3rd base with Kelvin Gutierrez for the same.

6. OriolesNumber1Fan

November 30, 2021 at 9:44 pm

Man, Texas paying the price for 2nd baseman – Marcus Semien’s 25 mm annual plus Rougned Odor’s 13.5 mm to not to play for them, wow!!! It’s like ARod @ SS all over again!

7. MacGromit

November 30, 2021 at 10:06 pm

Cost of 2022 Rangers SS going to be what our whole payroll will be. Yikes.

December 1, 2021 at 7:48 am

Cost of 2022 Rangers SS = 32.5mm
      Cost of 2022 Orioles = 55mm
      Almost 60%

• willmiranda

December 1, 2021 at 10:56 am

We haven’t finished trading veterans for prospects yet. That percentage could rise.

December 1, 2021 at 3:18 pm

It’s the price of a full rebuild!!! You can thank Dan Duquette for that!!! The Orioles got nothing in return for the clearance sale of DD!!! The Orioles got pennies on the dollar for all the moves done during his time here or for all the draft picks he selected. Some posers are full of bile or are constantly crying for that.

• WorldlyView

December 1, 2021 at 10:04 pm

#1, Given your superb insights into the Orioles, please tell us, the less informed, who are the proven MLB-level players that Elias has obtained in trades. A list of incoming players with the demonstrated talent to turn the O’s into contenders would make your case that Elias has “out-traded” Duquette. I’m so thick that I think Elias’s continuing reliance on low-cost castoffs and the churn of mediocrity means that we are at least three years away from being a winning team.

• CalsPals

December 1, 2021 at 5:07 pm

You keep saying that, you’re the only one I’ve constantly seen crying…go O’s…

December 1, 2021 at 5:42 pm

Stating FACTS on WHY the Orioles are where they are and WHO the real culprit to blame is just that – FACTS!!! Blaming mediocrity on the person left holding the bag IS crying on NOT SEEING the big picture and is a disservice to the one trying to fix this mess!!! Go O’s

• CalsPals

December 1, 2021 at 6:26 pm

If you truly want to move forward stop complaining about DD, been quite awhile since he’s been around, move forward my friend…go O’s…

December 1, 2021 at 6:51 pm

Shambles …. will the shambles never end? He’s a clown CPs.

December 1, 2021 at 7:37 pm

Facts are facts – The backstabbing trader DD should have taken you with him to Toronto when we had the chance. Now go change your diaper crybaby!!!

December 1, 2021 at 7:45 pm

traitor – dam spell check.

December 1, 2021 at 8:57 pm

Spell check on the BB.com app? Since when? You’re not IT

December 1, 2021 at 9:06 pm

It’s my work phone moron. How many times must you be told before it sinks into your thick skull!!! I use an app on my work phone first then add it to the bb.com app. Man you’re a moron!

December 1, 2021 at 9:10 pm

Work phone or not … you still use the bb.com app. to comment on bb.com. It does not have a spell check. You’re not texting. Your phone has nothing to do with it.

December 3, 2021 at 7:44 pm

Try “right click” in the reply box you’re typing in on the bb.com app and select “Check Spelling” for those slow learners.

December 3, 2021 at 10:33 pm

Futher proof that you are a stinking LIAR.

You can’t “Right Click” on your phone … duh….. the right click you’re talking about is using your PC’ browser such an MS Edge, to run spell check. I’ve never seen a phone with a mouse! hahahhaa

You’re using a PC browser NOT a phone as you clearly stated before. And a manual spell check (right-click) is not the same as a phone replacing your words on the fly.

You simply used the wrong word.

Why can’t you admit when you make a mistake or are wrong. Real men own their mistakes.

You see sonny boy….I’ve been a programmer/engineer/whaterver you want to call it since 1982. I know info techology…I’m no 6th grade English teacher. I KNOW tech when I see it …and you you aint’ IT.

December 4, 2021 at 10:38 am

Further showing you have NO CLUE and CAN’T FOLLOW SIMPLE DIRECTIONS!!! You Stated – “to comment on bb.com. It does not have a spell check.” THE DD.COM app DOES HAVE “CHECK SPELLING and I gave you simple instructions on how to apply it on the BB.com app using your PC. My work phone has a lot more than a simple “spell check” and that’s all I can say. And I’m done with you. My God you’re a simpleton and a moron and a name calling azz hole!!!

December 4, 2021 at 11:22 am

Yeah right …I’m sure that’s all you can say. Caught dead-red in another prevarication Dario. Spin it any way you want, but we both know you simply misused the word, and so does every other person that’s bothered or bored enough to read this thread.
            🙂

December 4, 2021 at 11:34 am

Furthermore, and for the last time, I do not use the BB.com app to enter my comments directly. I use an app on my phone to enter my comments and THIS APP IS NOT BB.com!!! God you’re a moron!!! It’s a real nice writing tool we use at work when I’m not in my office. God you’re a moron!!! I’m looking to have something similar installed to my PC to save me the trouble. When I’m done using this app I save the file and attach it to an email to my work email and transfer/copy/paste to the BB.com app. And God you’re still a moron!!! And to quote a moron that could really use a writing tool and who IS A TOOL – “and you you aint’ IT.” God you’re a moron!!! And now go back to the 80’s and don’t forget to change your diaper!!! Lol

December 4, 2021 at 12:13 pm

Might I suggest cut & paste from MS Word? Really simple. No email involved. (and I’m the moron)

And if you’re “tool” is so great, why does your writing consistently stink?

Prevarications don’t become us.

December 4, 2021 at 12:33 pm

MS Word doesn’t have the advanced writing tools of this app, Kenny!!! And my writing is just fine, it’s moron’s like you that are the trouble!!! Glass houses, moron – “and you you aint’ IT.” – Glass houses!!! And YES, you’re still a moron.

December 4, 2021 at 1:17 pm

More advanced that MS Word? Toooooo funny Dar.

December 4, 2021 at 2:49 pm

MS Word. News flash for you – It’s not 1982 anymore!!! Still a moron. No wonder you cannot grasp today’s game!!! You’re too funny!!!

December 1, 2021 at 7:20 pm

You’re right CalsPals!!! It’s been a while since he’s been here. How about something more up to date like 2 days ago – Jaylen Ferguson, a ninth-round draft bust from the 2015 draft, (Jeez, I wonder who drafted him??) has been hired as a hitting coach in the Rookie-level Florida Complex League. I believe he was released in June of this year while playing for Bowie, where he batted a whopping .150/.235/.535 in 28 games. This is what I’m referring to when the signs are still going to be here when the Orioles get little to NO help from the drafting of players just 3 years ago and back!!! These are the players that should be helping the parent team NOW and are not!!! OK, OK maybe I had one more. But you’re right my friend!!! Go O’s

December 1, 2021 at 7:27 pm

My bad – Not three years ago – The 2018 draft is considered 4 drafts ago…

• WorldlyView

December 4, 2021 at 3:55 pm

1, I’m still hoping you will answer the question I posed to you on Dec. 1 (see above). Tell us how you concluded that the players received in trades over the past three years by ME have been superior to those received in DD trades. Which of the players ME traded for have, or are clearly about to, contributed to the O’s’ turnaround. I’m so thick, I can’t think of any. Thanks.

December 4, 2021 at 6:17 pm

DD had the best of players in Manny Machado 300MM, Britton 60MM+ and Gausman 110MM to trade and got nothing in return. Not to mention CY Young Jake Arrietta for 2 month rental. Can’t say ME had the same quality of players to trade now can I.

• CalsPals

December 1, 2021 at 7:24 pm

On his good days…lol…go O’s…

• CalsPals

December 4, 2021 at 7:22 am

I’d like to see #1 reply to WV, would require some thought as I’m not sure the O’s have gotten anything back of that caliber, but he won’t touch it…go O’s…

• CalsPals

December 4, 2021 at 4:08 pm

I think #1 is much more like #2…cannot have a difference of opinion with him & when he is obviously wrong on something he won’t address it, kinda sounds like Mikey…lol…go O’s…

8. Buzz1979

November 30, 2021 at 10:22 pm

Sad, huh?

9. DcOsfan

November 30, 2021 at 10:22 pm

Difference between Os and Nationals – we are only willing to pay the minimum and we get Odor – they are willing to pay $4m plus $1m incentives for Hernandez- gold glove with pop

10. BenSch

November 30, 2021 at 10:34 pm

I gotta admit, I do get tired of picking up castaways. Seems like they never improve! Let’s get some guys with real potential.

11. Bmoreravens3

December 1, 2021 at 2:28 am

Odor does strikeout a lot but can hit homers. We’ll see how many he can blast in Camden.

12. jimcarter

December 1, 2021 at 6:14 am

I love how easily some are placated by the moves made by the front office. “No risk” guys aren’t building blocks for a competitive team. I just don’t see a reasonable path to a playoff caliber team in the next 3 or 4 years.

• Icterus fan

December 1, 2021 at 11:24 am

That’s true, and we seem to have become conditioned to accept mediocrity. Tolerating middling performance and offering contracts to underachieving veterans will only continue to assure the ongoing status quo.
      I am enjoying the rebuild initiatives, but at some point we need to progress from building a stable foundation to actually start some framing and build upwards in a competitive way.
      I truly hope we offer extensions to quality players and that the purse strings are loosed and we see some progress in 2023.
      We’ve come a long way but haven’t gone very far.

13. dlgruber1

December 1, 2021 at 6:34 am

Odor stinks! You see what I did there? I can’t believe no one beat me to it. Seriously tho, as many others have stated, the O’s are only paying him the league minimum. This is certainly worth a shot. As someone else stated, he’s sorta like CD. As soon as he signed his big contract he stopped performing. The biggest difference between the O’s and the Rangers is that Baltimore would not trade CD while the Rangers swallowed the pill and dealt Odor. If he figures something out great, if not, move on. I wonder what his career numbers are at OPACY?

December 1, 2021 at 7:37 am

Dave, in 28 games, Odor has hit .294 with two homers and eight RBIs.

December 1, 2021 at 10:46 am

Can Odor pitch?

• Icterus fan

December 1, 2021 at 11:47 am

That doesn’t pass the sniff test.

December 1, 2021 at 11:55 am

Smelly shambles.

15. Tileman

December 1, 2021 at 2:22 pm

At what point does Elias start to make additions to the team that are pert of the final product vs just a bridge until the Calvary from the minors arrive.
    With a couple of studs making their way North next year logically you would’ve believed that we would’ve pulled the trigger on somebody

• Icterus fan

December 1, 2021 at 6:16 pm

Now THAT is a great question. Like to see a legit FA here soon too! In order to do that, though, there would have to be a legit (overpay) type offer extended.
      Hopefully it starts to happen next year?

16. WorldlyView

December 1, 2021 at 2:38 pm

Repugnant is the Odor of bottom fishing. It amazes me that some fans remain enthralled–hook, line, and sinker–with the near term prospects for a team that still seems to give priority to minimizing the payroll and is indifferent to putting a “respectable” team on the field in the short term. (Maybe define ‘respectable’ as a team with an excellent chance of losing less than 100 games.)

• CalsPals

December 1, 2021 at 3:59 pm

Many have bought into mediocrity at this point, I may if we become mediocre, becoming more & more disillusioned in the O’s…please, go O’s…