Mancini wins another Comeback Player of the Year Award - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Mancini wins another Comeback Player of the Year Award

Orioles first baseman and designated hitter Trey Mancini was named the American League Comeback Player of the Year by Major League Baseball.

Mancini, who missed the 2020 season because of colon cancer surgery and chemotherapy, is the first Oriole to win the award.

The 30 beat reporters from MLB.com vote on the award.

Mancini appeared in 147 games for the Orioles, hitting .255 with 21 home runs and 71 RBIs. Only centerfielder Cedric Mullins appeared in more games than Mancini.

In July, Mancini finished second in the Home Run Derby at Colorado’s Coors Field, which was held the night before the All-Star Game.

Mancini has become involved with the Colorectal Cancer Alliance, advocating earlier colon cancer screenings. He also began a foundation that bears his name to aid those who are facing illness.

It’s the third comeback player award won by Mancini. Last month, he was named the AL Comeback Player in the 2021 Players’ Choice Awards and by The Sporting News.

November 22, 2021 at 6:54 pm

Rich … with all due sensitivy and seriousness here .. were there any other ‘finalist’ in this vote as there were in the ROY vote? I coudn’t imagine.

November 22, 2021 at 7:05 pm

I can’t imagine any voting for anyone else.

2. dlgruber1

November 22, 2021 at 7:03 pm

Rich, as long as I’ve been a baseball fan, over 50 years now, I’ve never truly understood if the award is more performance based, meaning someone simply having a big year following a bad year, or based on someone coming off an injury or, as in Mancini’s case, an illness. Are there guidelines for the award?

November 22, 2021 at 7:06 pm

As far as I know there are no guidelines.

3. TxBirdFan

November 22, 2021 at 7:23 pm

Guidelines or no guidelines, what Trey accomplished was nothing short of exceptional!! Congratulations and Well deserved Trey!

4. Buzz1979

November 22, 2021 at 8:34 pm

Lots of baseball moves, but crickets at the Warehouse!!!

5. Buzz1979

November 22, 2021 at 10:24 pm

The money these fringe starters are getting so far indicates it’s far more than the Grinchelos clan is willing to pay. Pair that with a bandbox of a stadium that is worst in MLB for pitchers, we are doomed!

6. mmcmillan1123

November 23, 2021 at 12:53 pm

There’s always hope Buzz! That may be all the O’s have going for them in the here and now.

7. dakhd1

November 26, 2021 at 4:30 pm

A well deserved award. I would like to thank and express my appreciation to Trey for the personalized signed photo thanking me for my military service and encouraging me to stay strong in my current battle with cancer. I am a long time fan of the O’s and Trey has been on my long list of those l enjoy watching because of their grit, enthusiasm and readiness to play the skill ridden difficult game of baseball. Even at 78 your words of encouragement have along with many others helped me stay positive in this long battle. I am still recovering from the chemo and radiation treatments but the prognosis looks favorable for a successful battle. Your message helped me “stay strong”. Thank you Trey!