After a Dodgers detour, Conner Greene is back with the Orioles - BaltimoreBaseball.com

After a Dodgers detour, Conner Greene is back with the Orioles

BALTIMORE—Conner Greene’s long trip to the major leagues took two unexpected turns in the last two weeks. Greene, who was a seventh-round draft choice of the Toronto Blue Jays in 2013 and then was traded by the Blue Jays to St. Louis for future Orioles tormentor Randal Grichuk, moved on to the Kansas City organization before signing with Baltimore last November.

After several road trips as a member of the taxi squad, Greene finally got to make his major league debut on July 27th.

He pitched three times for the Orioles with a 14.73 ERA and was designated for assignment and claimed on waivers by the Los Angeles Dodgers on August 9th.

“A designation for assignment is always the best thing,” Greene said. “Your initial thoughts are negative. I don’t think anyone can help to have those initial negative thoughts. Immediately, I turned my thoughts to, ‘I’m going to go down to Triple-A. I’m going to do what I need to do. I know what I need to do to get back up here with the O’s.

“I was confident that I was going to do what I needed to do to come back. To get a call from [assistant general manager Kevin Buck] to say that I was claimed by the Los Angeles Dodgers was a spectacular feeling, being a Los Angeles native and just to be a part of a major league team.”

Greene met the Dodgers in Philadelphia and put up two scoreless innings in two outings before he was designated for assignment again.

“The reigning World Series champions, I was speechless,” Greene said of being claimed by his favorite team while growing up. “I was just as honored putting on the Orioles jersey as putting on the L.A. Dodgers jersey.

“I think the aspect of being a homegrown kid, though, was what made it nostalgic and made it surreal. The Dodger hat that I used to buy to wear to just go to school is now what I get to put on as my uniform. I was happy I learned some good things while I was there and came on back.”

The Orioles claimed Greene on Monday, and he was back in the big leagues a day later.

“I live day-to-day, and I don’t try to think too far ahead,” Greene said. “I knew Joe Kelly was out, and I knew the second he comes back, I’m not going to beat out Joe Kelly for his spot.”

His two outings were at Philadelphia’s Citizens Bank Park and New York’s Citi Field, but not Dodger Stadium.

“I got to take a bunch of photos, but no pitching,” Greene said.

On Wednesday, Greene pitched two scoreless innings in the 10-6 win over the Los Angeles Angels that broke the 19-game losing streak. He started a run of six scoreless, one-hit innings that allowed the Orioles to overcome a 6-2 deficit.

“I was excited to come back to the Orioles because now I know the guys,” Greene said. “They’re familiar faces, and I wanted to share some of the things I learned over there. Hopefully I can just keep on delivering quality innings, keep that momentum going in my direction.”

Greene is eligible to receive a partial postseason share from the Dodgers, and perhaps a ring if they repeat as World Series champions.

“I know it costs a lot of money. If I didn’t have two weeks in the big leagues, I probably couldn’t afford it,” Greene said of the ring.

Each member of an organization who receives a ring must pay taxes on it.

“I’m always rooting for my team first. Once playoffs happen and we don’t have any more games, I will be rooting for them over other teams,” he said.

Notes: For the third time in the last four games, DJ Stewart is starting in left field over Austin Hays. “I’m picking my spots with both those guys,” manager Brandon Hyde said. “Stew works really hard on his defense. He’s out here almost every single day, trying to improve defensively. He’s had a few misplays this year. There’s room to get better. He understands that. It’s something that he works hard on to improve. … The Orioles will take a five-man taxi squad with them to Toronto for the six-game road trip that begins on Monday. Hyde said that the two players the team adds when the rosters expand on September 1st will be on the taxi squad. … Jorge Mateo returns to the lineup after missing three games because of lower back discomfort. Mateo will be playing second base. … Bruce Zimmermann, who’s on the 60-day injured list because of a sprained right ankle, has been with the team, and Hyde said he still hopes he can get a start or two at the end of the season.

1. CalsPals

August 28, 2021 at 6:46 pm

Wish he could’ve pitched at Dodger stadium, being a hometown boy…best of luck…go O’s…

• OhMy!

August 28, 2021 at 10:00 pm

Nice sentiment CP, maybe someday he will get the opportunity…

2. Buzz1979

August 28, 2021 at 7:00 pm

Conner? Connar? A year of Conners, where is Sarah?!

3. Bhoffman1

August 28, 2021 at 7:39 pm

He’s had a few missed plays. Hyde is now doing stand up comedy

• OhMy!

August 28, 2021 at 10:01 pm

You miss this part BH? “Stew works really hard on his defense. He’s out here almost every single day, trying to improve defensively.”

4. CalsPals

August 28, 2021 at 8:09 pm

Hey Onesy, check out the first comment here, it was put on quite awhile ago, without your prompting, I’ll wait for the apology…lol…go O’s…

• CalsPals

August 28, 2021 at 8:10 pm

Sorry, meant to say I won’t wait for the apology…lol…go O’s…

• OhMy!

August 28, 2021 at 10:04 pm

Geez, this almost enough for lesser man to delete his complimentary comment. But not being a lesser man, I will let the complimentary comment stand…Rise above yourself CP! You can stop being so negative and petulant, I know you can!

• OhMy!

August 28, 2021 at 10:11 pm

It’s Onesie dude, you wrestling folk need help with spelling…

• CalsPals

August 28, 2021 at 10:38 pm

A Onesie is what a baby wears, not a name, obsessed…wow…go O’s…

5. Mof357

August 28, 2021 at 9:02 pm

For the life of me I can’t understand why Stewart is still getting all of this playing time.

• OhMy!

August 28, 2021 at 10:06 pm

Pretty sure it has to do with his career OPS+ being 101, his career OPS against RHP being 0.773 and Hays career OPS against RHP being 0.704. Hope that helps you understand…

• Jersery O

August 29, 2021 at 10:23 am

What about his defense? You didn’t post those numbers.

6. Buzz1979

August 28, 2021 at 9:19 pm

Fringe players doing the damage again! Meadows is a lesser version of Ty Wigginton!

• OhMy!

August 28, 2021 at 10:10 pm

Meadows (All Star in 2019) has played in 117 out of 128 games this season for TB and has an OPS+ of 120 this season and 126 for his career and you want to characterize him as a fringe player? And compare him to Ty Wigginton? No and no sir! That’s a “full of baloney” post!

7. Buzz1979

August 28, 2021 at 10:38 pm

Wiggentons career numbers are far better, you must be his brother! Hey Hyde, ever think about pitching around a guy who is batting .500 against you??? GONE after this year, nice guys finish LAST! Did not learn your lesson from Torres and Grichuk? Guess not! FRINGE JOURNEYMAN HE IS!

August 29, 2021 at 7:48 am

Wigginton had a 2.8 WAR in his career with a -11.2 defensive WAR. His career lasted 12 seasons.

In Meadows’ four seasons, he has a 5.8 WAR with a -3.3 defensive WAR.

8. Bman

August 29, 2021 at 1:26 am

Early returns: Cowser seems mediocre. I hope that’s wrong.

August 29, 2021 at 7:44 am

Have you seen him play? I have not, but in his first 10 games with Delmarva, Cowser is batting .324 with an .885 OPS. Is that mediocre?

9. Estero.jack

August 29, 2021 at 9:36 am

What did Greene learn in his few days as a Dodger that helped him and that he now wants to pass on to others. Perhaps Holt! That should have been someone’s response!

10. millboy

August 29, 2021 at 10:30 am

Cowser just out of college, 10 games at low A, and you can say he’s mediocre?