Orioles are figuring out the best role for López; Injury updates on Hunter Harvey and Mateo - BaltimoreBaseball.com

BALTIMORE—When Jorge López left his last Orioles start on August 19th at Tampa Bay after just two innings, manager Brandon Hyde decided he needed a change. Hyde moved López to the bullpen

In two appearances since then, López has allowed just one hit in three scoreless innings, striking out six and walking one. As a starter, López was 3-14 with a 6.35 ERA in 25 starts. His 14 losses lead the majors.

López pitched the eighth and ninth innings after Keegan Akin’s seven solid innings on Thursday.

“He looked pretty good, 96 to 98 [mph fastballs],” Hyde said. “I really liked the curveballs he threw yesterday. I liked the aggressiveness. His stuff was excellent. It was the best stuff I’ve seen this year … That was electric yesterday. Talked to him after the game. He was excited about it.”

Hyde has had trouble finding dependable starters. He also has had trouble finding reliable relievers.

Even though the Orioles haven’t had a save situation this month, Hyde indicated that Tyler Wells probably will get the next save chance. He pitched the ninth inning on Wednesday in the Orioles’ 10-6 win over the Los Angeles Angels, which broke a 19-game losing streak, but because if was a four-run lead, it wasn’t a save.

“Since Tyler’s been healthy and available here, I’m picking spots for him to pitch because I do have a lot of confidence in him,” Hyde said. “He’s got a lot of confidence in himself. We just haven’t had a whole lot of leads late.

“Lopie’s had two appearances. I’m not sure what role he’s going to be in, what he’s going to do. I was encouraged by his last two appearances. We’ll see how that goes.”

López’s place  in the starting rotation was taken by Chris Ellis on Wednesday night. Ellis went 3 1/3 innings, and the Orioles used six relievers. The Angels managed one hit in the final six innings, enabling the Orioles to come back from a 6-2 deficit.

When López was first acquired by the Orioles in August 2020, he threw twice in long relief, then once in short relief before he was inserted into the rotation.

“Yesterday, I was going to pitch Lopie regardless,” Hyde said. “If Keegan went five-plus or six, I was going to give the ball to Lopie to see how far he could go.” López needed to go only two.

“I don’t really have a plan in place at this point,” Hyde said. “I’m just going to see what it looks like. I’ll see if we’ll use him in short spurts, if he’s going to start again. I’m not really sure … I think we’re looking to see what he looks like at this point, and he’s looked really good in his last two appearances.”

Injury updates: Hunter Harvey, who’s on the 10-day injured list because of a lat strain, will stay at Triple-A Norfolk for now. In three rehab appearances with the Tides, Harvey has allowed two runs on three hits in three innings, striking out two without walking a batter.

“We’re just letting him pitch a little bit,” Hyde said. “We’re evaluating every appearance.”

Jorge Mateo, who was removed from Tuesday night’s game because of a lower back injury, remains out of the starting lineup.

“He’s feeling a little bit better,” Hyde said. “I’m hoping he’s going to be in there the next day or two. He was still sore yesterday … Without an infielder on the bench, I’m hoping he can be available in an emergency today.

“The medical people tell me he’s going to be, hopefully, another day or two and then be back out there.”

Notes: Maikel Franco passed through outright waivers and was granted his release. … Fans who show their Covid-19 vaccine card when entering the ballpark on Saturday night will receive an Orioles cap. … Minor league left-hander Cameron Bishop has been assigned to Low-A Delmarva on a rehab assignment.

1. CalsPals

August 27, 2021 at 5:31 pm

Flying by the seat of your pants coaching anything not a good idea, he should’ve had a plan as soon as he moved him to the bullpen, looks like the way he was used was advantageous for the O’s, maybe that should be his plan…go O’s…

August 27, 2021 at 5:37 pm

This not having a plan …. it’s all part of the process.

Good God man … how can you question Hyde at this point … we’re on a two game heater!!

• CalsPals

August 27, 2021 at 5:45 pm

My bad…;)…go O’s…

• 33d St

August 27, 2021 at 10:26 pm

Hard for Hyde to have a plan when the people compiling the roster for him don’t have one.

2. Buzz1979

August 27, 2021 at 6:26 pm

Bullpen, maybe even a closer, that 8th inning was awesome yestwrday!

• Kjbsball

August 27, 2021 at 7:09 pm

Agree. Love to see him close! He’s always lights out for one time through a lineup. Curious if he has mental makeup for it. My hunch is yes.

3. VegasOriole

August 27, 2021 at 6:41 pm

Hopefully Jorge can stay in the pen, or take over the long relief role from Plutko.

4. OriolesNumber1Fan

August 27, 2021 at 8:20 pm

Awesome clip by Ben McDonald regarding former teammate Arthur Rhodes: “During Thursday’s broadcast, MASN’s Ben McDonald reflected on his former teammate, Arthur Rhodes, the longtime Oriole who had a 5.81 ERA as a starter and a 3.43 one as a reliever in his 20-year career. Rhodes had tried to make it as a starter, but according to McDonald, the night before he pitched, he’d get too nervous. Out of the bullpen, without a lot of anticipation and buildup, his nerves were calm.”
    Orioles are doing the same for Jorge Lopez an others as well. No flying by the seat of your pants BS. The Orioles are still in a rebuild and are auditioning, trying some guys in different roles to see where they might fit in for the big picture down the road. And finding what position/roles for them to best succeed!
    After 2 plus years of games after this year and telling fans during this entire time it’s a complete teardown/rebuild you would think they would finally be able to get it by now. Apparently some still don’t get it!!!

• CalsPals

August 27, 2021 at 8:32 pm

Excuse me, Hyde was the one who said he didn’t have a plan for Lopez, I am assuming you read the whole article…go O’s…

• OriolesNumber1Fan

August 28, 2021 at 4:37 pm

I did read the entire article and excuse me, Hyde never said he was “flying by the seat of his pants”. He did say “I’m not sure what role he’s going to be in,”. So he’s trying to see where the best fit/role would be best for Lopez and to see if it would work for the team and for Lopez. These things take time. Lopez is also going through a lot due to his son needing bone marrow transplant surgery and can’t be there for him. I feel for the guy and I pray his son will hopefully get better soon. But just like Buck did with Zack Britton when he didn’t work as a starter and moving him the bullpen and eventually moving Zack to the closer role, it’s a process. There’s always a trial and error on these things.

• WorldlyView

August 28, 2021 at 3:57 pm

No.1, Please be understanding. Realize that those of us who are unable “to get it” have not been endowed with your level of baseball intelligence. Some of us are so thick as to believe that there is a difference between a rebuild and a scorched earth approach that produces multiple 100 loss seasons and a pitching staff of uncommon ineffectiveness. Please continue trying to lead us down the right path.

• CalsPals

August 28, 2021 at 4:43 pm

Never said Hyde said he was flying by the seat of his pants, READ closely, he said he had no plan, no plan indicates to me he was “flying by the seat of his pants”, unfortunately by putting it in writing I can’t say it slower for you, Hallelujah to a higher baseball thinker than me, please take Mikeys job so we can get beyond his horrific tenure…go O’s…

• OriolesNumber1Fan

August 28, 2021 at 6:21 pm

You stated “Flying by the seat of your pants coaching anything not a good idea” in your berate of Hyde and his managing. He did say “I’m not sure what role he’s going to be in,”. I can’t say it any slower for you. So if that’s the “plan” by not knowing what role Lopez will be in during a rebuild year with a team that will lose close to 100 games in a lost season so be it. Buck Showalter did the same thing by moving Zack Britton from a struggling starter to the bullpen and then moving him again to the closer role which benefited the Orioles tremendously. I’m sure Buck didn’t “PLAN” for that to happen either. But in the end, it was a great move for the Orioles. You try and put players in the best position for them by evaluating their strengths and for the best interest for each player to help the team win games. That’s what happens during a rebuild.

• CalsPals

August 28, 2021 at 8:03 pm

Just can’t admit you’re wrong, not even nitpicking, more things change the more they stay the same…go O’s…

• OriolesNumber1Fan

August 28, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Like talking to a wall.

5. CalsPals

August 27, 2021 at 8:24 pm

Richard, why is it ok for someone to be condescending, call Boog & I names, we make a comment, it gets deleted…can’t figure the difference in your application of your rules…go O’s…

• CalsPals

August 27, 2021 at 8:26 pm

If you need another obvious example look at the last comment in the previous article…go O’s…

August 27, 2021 at 10:36 pm

Am I Misery?

• CalsPals

August 28, 2021 at 7:30 am

Funny, hard to tell, different day we could be either, funny part was we said nothing negative, gave some examples of portly players for examples for another poster, not like you or I started it…not my litter box…go O’s…

• He Hate Me

August 28, 2021 at 9:27 am

I know what you’re saying. The boy just can’t, EVER make a comment about anything without including at dig a either of us. Nothing to do with what he said, he’s obsessed or something.

• OriolesNumber1Fan

August 28, 2021 at 6:00 pm

First off, I don’t “dig” either one of you so called Oriole fans. Not when you are both are constantly “digging” as you call it, on how the Orioles are running their business, spending their money, who their hiring, or how their managing or coaching players or players play in general. It seems you know how to both dish it out and berate on Mike Elias, Hyde and a slew of players too many to count but just like little “boys” you both can’t take it when someone says anything to either of you.
          Maybe just once I would like to hear something positive in the direction of the Orioles from either of you. When the Orioles were rated the number 1 farm system a few days ago, I didn’t hear one thing regarding this accomplishment. Not anything. Now I hate to see the Orioles lose more than anyone and I’ll defend them til the day I die. And I’m sure no Oriole fan likes to see them lose either but to pile it on and kick a team when it’s down and when things get bad is just not right in any instance in life or if you’re an Oriole fan. Maybe just once, one of you can show me that you’re both Oriole fans and not just critics. That’s all I’m saying. Not asking a lot here but just once I would like to hear something positive without any “digs” or sarcasm from either of you.

• WorldlyView

August 28, 2021 at 7:04 pm

CP & BRR, Please say something positive. Maybe that will halt these tedious harangues.

• He Hate Me

August 28, 2021 at 11:33 pm

Stay off my threads #2. Rich asked us not to respond to each other. I’ve complied. I have not jumped on any comment you’ve made in quite a long time. Just stay the heck away for me. I’ve tired of making you look foolish.

If you’re tired of reading me ….. THEN STOP. Don’t read me .. and type you own comments, which if you haven’t noticed, I’ve stopped reading and commenting on.

Please leave me alone.

• CalsPals

August 28, 2021 at 9:45 am

Agree, like another with me, creepy…whatever…I like your other name better, but get the message…go O’s…

• CalsPals

August 28, 2021 at 8:07 pm

Apparently you didn’t read Rich’s latest article, check out the first comment…& if you didn’t notice I close EVERY post with a positive note…go O’s…

• CalsPals

August 28, 2021 at 8:12 pm

Another thing Onesy, how’d you know the references were to you?…if the shoe fits….go O’s…

6. willmiranda

August 27, 2021 at 8:29 pm

Thanks for the extended coverage of Jorge. Any quotes from the player himself
    or personal info?

August 27, 2021 at 9:21 pm

With no clubhouse access, quotes from players are harder to get this season.

7. VegasOriole

August 27, 2021 at 9:37 pm

You’re doing a great job Rich, wish you had more access to the team.

August 28, 2021 at 7:44 am

Thank you, we’ve had some this year, just not as much as we’d like and need, perhaps in 2022.

8. Buzz1979

August 27, 2021 at 9:40 pm

Biggest mistake of the season, holding on to Fry and Scott at the deadline. 1-16, hard to do, even on purpose!

9. Buzz1979

August 27, 2021 at 10:23 pm

Johnny Hustle, .268, we still did well for a 2 month rental!

10. millboy