Rule 5 pick Tyler Wells impresses Orioles - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Rule 5 pick Tyler Wells impresses Orioles

The Orioles have used the Rule 5 draft to find talent. This year, they hope they’ve found a pitcher with staying power in 6-foot-8 Tyler Wells, who was one of two selections in last December’s Rule 5 draft.

Right-hander Mac Sceroler was the other pick and is on the 10-day injured list because of tendinitis in his right shoulder.

Wells, who allowed one run three hits in two innings on Friday night against the Nationals, has become an asset for manager Brandon Hyde.

“Really impressed with Tyler right now,” Hyde said. “This is a guy who didn’t pitch for a couple of years, had a couple of major issues, hadn’t pitched above Double-A and really is holding his own in the big leagues with no Triple-A experience.”

Wells has a 5.14 ERA in 21 innings. Wells is able to work multiple innings, which is valuable to a team with an overworked bullpen. In seven of his 12 outings, Wells has worked at least two innings.

“He’s pitched better than his numbers show,” Hyde said. “He picked us up [on Friday night] going two innings, saved me from using another reliever. I think he’s getting a lot of valuable experience.”

Wells hasn’t been put in close games. Only once, in his major league debut on April 4th when the Orioles beat Boston, 11-3, has he pitched in an Orioles win. He usually comes in after a short start and attempts to keep the game from becoming more lopsided.

“Every single day it gets better,” Wells said. “There’s a lot of learning experiences that come along with being a rookie. In those 20 innings, you learn so much about yourself. You learn so much about your stuff, a lot about the hitters.

“Each and every time I go out there, confidence grows and I learn more about myself.”

Wells said that pitching in spring training helped convince him he could be a major league pitcher. He points to two scoreless innings on March 20th against the New York Yankees, when he struck out three.

“You sit there and you’re facing the heart of the lineup,” Wells said. “You’re really pushing and building the confidence in yourself. At every single point in the season, I never felt like I haven’t belonged here. Guys made me feel extremely welcome. I’m trying to build confidence within the coaching staff, to be able to put me in higher-leverage situations.”

Wells, who had Tommy John surgery in 2019 and didn’t pitch last season, has struck out 26 while walking seven in those 21 innings. Only Adam Plutko has thrown more innings in relief.

“I think the guy’s got big-time confidence,” Hyde said. “His stuff has ticked up. I think you’re seeing command of his offspeed stuff. The slider, the changeup improved, which really was a question for me in spring training.

“The guy’s fastball is 93-96 [mph] … It’s kind of a tough angle for the hitter,” Hyde said, referring to Wells’ height.

Wells has started to rely more on his changeup.

“My changeup used to be my fourth-best pitch,” Wells said. “A lot of that came from the lack of actually throwing it. When I got Tommy John surgery, one of the big things that I focused on and dedicated that rehab to was the health of my arm and developing a better changeup.”

During last year’s down time, Wells worked on the changeup.

“I was really dedicated to making it a better pitch,” Wells said. “I think I’m seeing the fruits of that labor now.”

Wells has allowed six home runs, the most by an Oriole reliever.

“It’s like a bad pitch every time out that’s hurt him,” Hyde said. “I don’t know if he’s going to be a bullpen guy or a starter at this point. I think we’re going to find that out during the course of the season.”

1. CalsPals

May 23, 2021 at 8:09 am

Really impressed, he’s doing ok, but I know we’ve got to find something to write about, odds on when they dump Plutko?…go O’s…

May 23, 2021 at 8:53 am

Yes Wells has been a bright spot. BUT weren’t Plutko,Valdez,Scott,Zimmerman,Fry,Lakins also bright spots at one time or another? What happens to these guys? Just when we get on their band-wagons they tank. Rich not sure how long he’s been away but doesn’t it seem there may be a correlation between Chris Holts departure and the pitching staff’s demise? Or pure coincidence?

May 23, 2021 at 9:32 am

Yes, Orial, the string of losses has coincided with Chris Holt’s absence for a personal matter.

3. 900E-33rdSt

May 23, 2021 at 9:22 am

Bright spot Wells last 7 days ERA 6.23
    Plutko last 7 days ERA 27.00
    Valdez last 7 days ERA 4.50
    Scott last 7 days ERA 10.80
    Zimmerman last 7 days ERA 6.23
    Fry last 7 days ERA 16.20
    Lakins last 7 days ERA 23.14

Orioles entire team last 7 days ERA 9.17 ugh…

• jimcarter

May 23, 2021 at 9:32 am

Baseball is evolving to new, lower standards. Now an ERA in the neighborhood of 5 is OK and a .250 batting average is enough to keep a starting role. The talent pool is shallow and there are too many major league teams. Thank goodness they killed off some of the minor leagues.

May 23, 2021 at 9:35 am

Well what d’ya know? Imagine that. So now you’re telling me that players can simply skip a league and learn on the job at the major league level? Minimal development? Not worried about his confidence? Up to this point in the Elias/Hyde era, it’s been simply a ‘no wine before it’s time’ policy. But now a rule 5 forces their hand, and we’re witnessing how a player with talent, can actually learn the game while playing at it’s top level. Imagine that.

• CalsPals

May 23, 2021 at 10:45 am

Elias/Hyde will always say whatever pushes their agenda, Hyde said a few weeks ago that AAA wasn’t necessary, but it is with certain players, they sound like politicians…go O’s…

May 23, 2021 at 11:27 am

It’s a process ya know.

• Orioles20

May 23, 2021 at 11:45 am

Well there’s a difference between rushing a top prospect and trying to keep a rule five guy. Manny came up from double a because the orioles were in the thick of a race and needed an upgrade over Wilson betemit. If the orioles were somewhat competitive then the rustchman would be up or at least close to it. But why rush him to the big league when your ten games under? Rushing players is what has been our downfall.

May 23, 2021 at 1:13 pm

Yeah sure. Manny came up because he was a superstar talent and was ready. Who exactly have they rushed causing our downfall?

• Orioles20

May 23, 2021 at 1:17 pm

Gausman was rushed into a reliever roles and never developed a third pitch that he could’ve had he been in the minors. They rushed guys like matusz and arrieta causing them to struggle at the big level.

May 23, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Now we’re talking pitchers, which frankly, I’m willing to go a bit slower on but only because I believe you should build up the arm over time. Example Dylan Bundy. He’s was ready at the age of 19….unfortunately his UCL wasn’t

I’ll give you Matusz since he was 22 when he first showed up, although he had a nice little career, but Arrieta spent 3 full years in the minors and was 24 when he showed up. I’d be more will to blame the cozy confines of OPACY on their struggles.

Well, as for Gausman, he had pretty good ERA’s with the O’s and primarily as a starter. I hardly say that they caused his downfall.

But again … I”m willing to wait on the arms. But let’s move some of the hitters along already!

5. Crazyhend

May 23, 2021 at 2:50 pm

Does anyone else notice how bad Brandon Hyde is with managing the pitching staff? Not to mention just managing in general; he pulls starters when they need to push through and puts in relievers with no thought to how they matchup to lineups. He has to be the worst manager I’ve ever seen as an Oriole fan.

6. Crazyhend

May 23, 2021 at 3:01 pm

Freddy Galvis is the worst fielding shortstop in baseball, hopefully it’s not a new trend for the O’s to invest in crap on such an iconic position.

• CalsPals

May 23, 2021 at 3:12 pm

You’re preaching to the choir on both of your last posts, won’t get an ounce of disagreement here…go O’s…

• BarstoolSleeper

May 23, 2021 at 3:53 pm

Galvis is 3rd in the league among SS with an OPS of .809 and 8th in On Base Percentage. Galvis also ranks 3rd in the league among SS for fielding percentage at .985.

May 23, 2021 at 3:56 pm

I don’t think Galvis is that bad. He’s been our only decent offseason addition.

• CalsPals

May 23, 2021 at 5:05 pm

Can’t field what your not getting to…go O’s…

• CalsPals

May 23, 2021 at 5:13 pm

Boog, can’t argue that, BUT that really isn’t saying much this year, lmao….go O’s…

• BarstoolSleeper

May 23, 2021 at 6:03 pm

Keep ignoring the stats if it doesn’t fit your opinion CP… I know I know, we only care about the eye test on this site, not the fact that he’s ranked 3rd in fielding percentage for SS

• CalsPals

May 23, 2021 at 6:14 pm

Part of the reason his fielding % is where it is is because he can’t get to balls, no range, that IS part of the eye test, it’s not all in the #’s, if he’s doing so great I’d imagine the phone is ringing off the hook for him, NOT…go O’s…

7. Crazyhend

May 23, 2021 at 3:22 pm

Sorry I needed to vent. I watch every game, hoping to see some sunshine. Go O’s. Mancini breaks through, but man it’s frustrating.

May 23, 2021 at 3:57 pm

Now that’s the truth. Very frustrating.

• Icterus fan

May 23, 2021 at 5:08 pm

Both Galvis and Fraahnko are as advertised, and have been ok. They are merely late minute signings to fill obvious gaping holes until Jones/Henderson, Bannon, Mayo etc develop enough to promote.
      They ain’t making the all star game. You know, the one we’re boycotting.

May 23, 2021 at 5:28 pm

So you’re with me on the boycott?

• CalsPals

May 23, 2021 at 5:38 pm

No need to apologize, I’ll join you guys on the AS game…go O’s…

8. Birdman

May 23, 2021 at 4:45 pm

Orioles have 51 hits in their last 6 games, and couldn’t get one win … tells you where the big weakness of the team is.

May 23, 2021 at 7:36 pm

Yeah … the front office.

• Birdman

May 23, 2021 at 8:54 pm

Actually, the $9 million 14 man pitching staff … and that’s a decision made above the front office by ownership.

May 23, 2021 at 9:47 pm

Hey, Elias says he has full autonomy. This is Elias’ ship, whether he wants it or not.