Hyde hopes Hays is back by Sunday, believes Oriole offense will break out; Kremer gets Saturday start - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Manager Brandon Hyde hopes that outfielder Austin Hays, who has been on the 10-day injured list because of a strained right hamstring since April 5th, can return to the team on Sunday in its final game of the three-game weekend series in Texas or on Tuesday in Miami.

Hyde said that Hays has played in a game at the alternate training site in Bowie on Friday and will play another one on Saturday.

“We’ll see how he recovers,” Hyde said.

“Austin is a good player. He was playing really well [when he was hurt] in Boston. We’re looking forward to getting him back and playing. He adds a lot. He adds speed. He adds outfield defense. He adds the ability to hit the ball out of the ballpark. The guy can really turn on a fastball. He has to keep healthy, and he’ll be a contributor for us.”

Hyde believes the Orioles’ offense will show up soon, too. After 13 games, they have a .218 batting average, a .288 on-base percentage and a .641 OPS.

“I believe in our offense,” Hyde said. “I think if you look at our numbers, six months from now, they’re not going to look like that.

“We have some good hitters on this team. I think we’ve gotten off to a slow start offensively. First three series, I thought we faced really, really good pitching.

“I do buy into ‘hitting is contagious.’ There is momentum in hitting. When you create traffic on the bases, you’re creating longer pitch counts for pitchers. It does make it easier for everyone else. It’s a little bit of a team rut offensively. I feel like if we get a couple of guys going, then we’re going to be in good shape.”

Hyde thinks that first baseman Trey Mancini, designated hitter/outfielder Ryan Mountcastle and rightfielder Anthony Santander are going to get hot.

“I believe in these guys offensively,” he said. “I think they’re going to produce a lot of runs for us this year.”

Saturday start: Hyde said that right-hander Dean Kremer, who threw only 54 pitches in the second game of Tuesday’s doubleheader with Seattle, will start on Saturday night.

“I feel confident that he’s going to be fine for that,” Hyde said. “He wants to pitch. Fifty-four pitches is almost like an extended bullpen. He’s plenty rested, and he’s ready to go.

Severino on offense: Catcher Pedro Severino is batting .250 (8-for-32) with a home run and an RBI. He is batting eighth against the Texas Rangers in Friday’s opener of a three-game series.

“It’s only [13] games, so it’s early,” Severino said. “We work every single day to try to get better. The pitchers are doing a great job, trying to hold the game. Offense right now is just a little off, but I know that it’s gong to be coming because we have very good hitters on the team. We need to help the pitchers to win.”

Welcome to Globe Life Field: Because of the pandemic, the Orioles didn’t play in the Rangers’ new ballpark last season, its first. The Orioles haven’t played in baseball’s three newest parks  in their inaugural seasons– Miami’s Lone Depot Park, opened in 2012; Atlanta’s Truist Park, opened in 2017; and Texas. The last time the Orioles played in a major league ballpark’s first year was 2010, the year that Minneapolis’ Target Field opened.

The Orioles have yet to play in St. Louis’ Busch Stadium, which opened in 2006. They were supposed to play there for the first time early last season, but the pandemic changed that.

Taxi squad: The five-man taxi squad for the Texas series are right-handed pitchers Isaac Mattson and Cole Sulser, catcher Austin Wynns, infielder Richie Martin and outfielder Yusniel Diaz.

1. LonelyUnlovedDudeOfNoIntegrity

April 16, 2021 at 7:06 pm

“ you’re creating longer pitch counts for pitchers” why did Franco swing at the 3-0 pitch yesterday in the 7th inning of G2?

Just ask Hyde the question!

2. CalsPals

April 16, 2021 at 7:51 pm

So the guys on the taxi squad will miss out on game starting on Star Wars day…doesn’t seem very beneficial to them…go O’s…

• LonelyUnlovedDudeOfNoIntegrity

April 16, 2021 at 8:46 pm

Get over it CP…

• CalsPals

April 16, 2021 at 9:13 pm

Get over what?…go O’s…

• LonelyUnlovedDudeOfNoIntegrity

April 16, 2021 at 9:32 pm

Get over your beef with the taxi squad players missing games… got to spell it out for you eh?

• ClayDal

April 16, 2021 at 10:14 pm

Players don’t mind the taxi squad. Get major league meal money. Better restaurants in the majors.

• CalsPals

April 17, 2021 at 12:03 am

Not a beef, made a statement, sorry I didn’t have stats to back it up…go O’s…

• CalsPals

April 17, 2021 at 8:22 am

Thanx ClayDal, appreciate non-middle school rants from common sense baseball people…go O’s…

• Icterus fan

April 17, 2021 at 8:43 am

CalsPals, I wish I could “thumbs up” you’re last comment. Quite a humorous barb, indeed.

• CalsPals

April 17, 2021 at 8:50 am

:)…thx & …go O’s…

3. LonelyUnlovedDudeOfNoIntegrity

April 16, 2021 at 8:48 pm

Mullins on 3rd less than 2 outs, can’t bring him in Oy!

4. LonelyUnlovedDudeOfNoIntegrity

April 16, 2021 at 9:33 pm

Might be a good time to pull Lopez. 5 innings, 2 runs, good job. Turn it over to the bullpen

5. dlgruber1

April 16, 2021 at 10:51 pm

Mancini 0-4 with 4 K’s tonite. I honestly think all the affection opponents and their fans are showing him is hurting him. I’m serious, it’s taken a mental edge off him. You wanna dislike your opponents. That’s just a reality. I’d love to hear what fellow O’s fans think. Am I right or wrong?

• Icterus fan

April 17, 2021 at 12:03 am

Gruber, if I was going to play baseball psychologist, I’d hazard a guess that he feels the weight of the club on his shoulders and is therefore trying to carry the weight of the club. He seems to take everything quite seriously, right or wrong.

He’s also trying to “prove himself” and continue his reputation and carry high hopes etc.

I didn’t pay close attention to tonight’s game but 2 of his strikeouts were on balls well outside and then up

6. millboy

April 17, 2021 at 7:57 am

Mancini is pressing, might need a game off to just sit and watch

• Icterus fan

April 17, 2021 at 8:40 am

He’s pressing for sure. It seems to be fundamentals – swinging at pitches out of the strike zone and looking frustrated while doing it.

I know Hyde has given Mountcastle a day off for the same reason. Not sure if he’s sat Mancini yet.

I’ll take the win, and hope Stewart stays healthy as well as Hays.