Orioles-Mariners postponed; Sceroler goes on injured list, Lakins recalled; Mancini frustrated - BaltimoreBaseball.com

BALTIMORE—The Orioles’ game against the Seattle Mariners was postponed on Wednesday. It’s the second rainout for the teams in three days.

Monday’s game was rained out and made up as part of a doubleheader on Tuesday. The Orioles lost Game 1, 4-3, in eight innings (seven innings are played in doubleheaders) after rallying to tie the score in the seventh. They rebounded to win Game 2, 7-6, on a walk-off single by Ramon Urias in the last of the seventh for the team’s first win at home.

Wednesday’s game will be made up as part of a doubleheader on Thursday. The first game will begin at 12:35 p.m. Matt Harvey will start Game 1 for the Orioles, and Bruce Zimmermann will start Game 2.

Pitching move: The Orioles placed right-handed pitcher Mac Sceroler on the 10-day injured list on Wednesday because of right shoulder tendinitis. The move is retroactive to Tuesday.

Sceroler, a Rule 5 pick, has a 7.36 ERA in two games. In his major league debut on April 5th at Yankee Stadium, he threw 2 2/3 scoreless innings, striking out four and walking two. On Sunday, Sceroler gave up three runs on five hits in an inning against Boston.

To replace Sceroler on the active roster, the Orioles recalled right-hander Travis Lakins from the alternate training site at Bowie. Lakins pitched a scoreless inning in the first game of Tuesday’s doubleheader, striking out two.

Mancini frustrated: Trey Mancini wasn’t in Wednesday’s starting lineup. Mancini is batting .159 (7-for-44) with two home runs and eight RBIs in the Orioles’ first 11 games.

Mancini, who is returning from colon cancer surgery and chemotherapy, hit home runs on Saturday and Sunday but was hitless in seven at-bats in Tuesday’s doubleheader.

“He showed a lot of frustration yesterday,” manager Brandon Hyde said. “I just want to give him a day off where he can clear his head, watch the game and still be available in a big spot, eventually late in the game.

“I think it’s important that when guys are being so tough on themselves that you take it away from them, let them relax and not put so much pressure on themselves. It’s just a day off for him.”

1. BrooksPJs

April 14, 2021 at 5:33 pm

Maybe Mancini will be out both games tomorrow, break might do him some good.

Armstrong might go to injury list next!

2. LonelyUnlovedDudeOfNoIntegrity

April 14, 2021 at 5:43 pm

Test test test, yup I changed my handle

3. geevee3

April 14, 2021 at 6:01 pm

Pretty sure it hasn’t happened yet, but one of these doubleheaders under the new rules will wind up with someone throwing a seven inning no-hitter, and have everyone arguing about whether it should count. Have I mentioned that I HATE the new rules. Sure do love baseball though! Keep up the good work Rich.

• Kjbsball

April 14, 2021 at 6:12 pm

Great point! Totally agree. Of all the “new rules”I liked 7 inning doubleheaders the least. By a mile.

• LonelyUnlovedDudeOfNoIntegrity

April 14, 2021 at 6:25 pm

I dislike the runner starting on 2nd base in extra innings the least myself…shortened games don’t like that much either

• LonelyUnlovedDudeOfNoIntegrity

April 14, 2021 at 6:20 pm

Great point about the 7 inning no hitter. I did not realize that rain shortened no hitters are not official no hitters either.

April 14, 2021 at 6:45 pm

Geevee, in order to be credited for a no-hitter, they must pitch nine innings.

• LonelyUnlovedDudeOfNoIntegrity

April 14, 2021 at 7:39 pm

The no hitter definition of at least 9 innings was put in place in 1991. Could they change it again?

April 14, 2021 at 7:45 pm

It was reiterated last year when the rule was announced, so I don’t think it changes.

• LonelyUnlovedDudeOfNoIntegrity

April 14, 2021 at 8:10 pm

Seems a bit strick IMO and retroactively turn no hitters into not official no hitters in 1991 was a bit cheesy IMO. Out of a pitcher’s control how many innings a game goes. Thanks for the info on the reiteration,

Hope doubleheader and extra inning rule changes get reversed in 2022.

April 14, 2021 at 8:14 pm

I’ll guess the doubleheaders will be back to nine innings next year, but the runner on second has a good chance of staying because they’re trying to keep the length of games down, and it’s probably in no one’s interest to see a 16-inning game, though Chris Davis pitching in the 17th inning at Fenway Park was a highlight for me.

• geevee3

April 14, 2021 at 9:54 pm

How frustrating would it be to have one for seven and not get credit because you weren’t allowed to try.

• Orioles20

April 14, 2021 at 7:15 pm

The seven inning doubleheader bothers me as I prefer the game to be left alone but it doesn’t bother me as much the runner starting on second base rule. That rule seems so unnecessary. Play till someone scores like you would without that runner.

• Ekim

April 14, 2021 at 10:57 pm

Not that anybody cares, but I have not watched (TV) a game since the last game in 2019. The rules changes have totally messed up the game… and from my readings, more are coming. The “progressive” is just not for me… just saying…

4. Birdman

April 14, 2021 at 6:38 pm

Yes, the new doubleheader rule will result in some statistical inconsistencies (as occurred when the MLB schedule went from 154 to 162 games per season) … however, I think reducing the excessive time it used to take to complete a doubleheader, often 7 hours or more, makes the change a good idea.

• Icterus fan

April 14, 2021 at 7:07 pm

For some reason, the starting with a man on second rule I think is crap. But the 7 inning doubleheader game? OK by me. I’ll let the nerdy cerebral people figure out the statistical anomalies. For me, I just want to enjoy some fat dumb and happy TV time watching the O’s!
      Bottom line is that we can’t control the changes anyway.

• geevee3

April 14, 2021 at 10:07 pm

If they want to shorten games by 36 minutes apiece it’s simple: shorten the between innings breaks by two minutes each. If they truly believe that shorter games will enhance the product they can bank on that increased popularity being reflected by increased viewership and higher prices per minute for their ad time. Put the money where the mouth is. At least experiment with doubleheaders.

5. dlgruber1

April 14, 2021 at 7:25 pm

I find it very curious that twice in a week the O’s cancelled a game well before starting time. I can hardly ever remember them doing that since OPACY has opened as it has one of the best drainage systems in all MLB. I’m not suggesting anything nefarious, I just find it strange. Hopefully more than 4000 some odd folks show up tomorrow, unlike yesterday.

• LonelyUnlovedDudeOfNoIntegrity

April 14, 2021 at 7:31 pm

First cancellation was well after scheduled start time

6. dlgruber1

April 14, 2021 at 7:28 pm

Are players on the IL allowed to attend home games, or do covid restrictions not permit that? I’d like to think CD could at least be in the locker room to give some encouragement to his mates.

April 14, 2021 at 7:40 pm

Players on the IL do not attend games, Dave.

• Icterus fan

April 14, 2021 at 8:12 pm

“CD” has a positive public persona and tries to be upbeat, but I truly wonder how he would carry himself in the dugout these days given his situation. It’s such a shame. He seems like a nice guy, but he’s so…………done. Would he bring any encouragement to his mates?
      Just a rhetorical question.

• CalsPals

April 14, 2021 at 8:26 pm

Brought this up last year when someone was talking about chemistry, in the dugout he always sat by himself or by the steps, didn’t really chat with anyone other than Hyde…said it then, he just doesn’t seem to fit in, I find it very hard to believe he gets two at bats & ends up on the 60 day…seems like more manipulation…go O’s…

• Bhoffman1

April 14, 2021 at 9:07 pm

I don’t know how Davis can look any of his teammates in the eye or himself in the mirror. He is really in raining Baltimore and in the clubhouse with the team or is he enjoying the beautiful weather we are having in Florida now on his make believe rehab of a strained back after two at bats.

• Bhoffman1

April 14, 2021 at 9:11 pm

I see he’s not allowed in the dugout. So where is he doing his rehab of a poor strained back

• Icterus fan

April 14, 2021 at 10:07 pm

I wonder how it will work when the 60 day period is up? Is there any way he’s spelling Mancini at first? That would be a travesty. Or does he just lurk in uniform, waiting for some DH possibilities?
      We’re hemorrhaging money while he floats between the IL and unproductive time with the team avoiding exposure.
      It’s the biggest debacle. Cant someone end it, already?

• Bhoffman1

April 15, 2021 at 7:12 am

Rich said he might spend the whole year and next on the DL like Albert Belle did

7. LonelyUnlovedDudeOfNoIntegrity

April 14, 2021 at 8:26 pm

Rich,

Is the box score for the Orioles alternate site game available anywhere online? I read Hanhold struck out five in 2 IP. Would be great to keep up with the alternate site.

LUDONI

April 14, 2021 at 8:48 pm

Before the game was rained out, it was on my list of things to find out. Unfortunately, the media is barred from there, so I too would like to see some box scores. Feel free to remind me about it tomorrow.

• dlgruber1

April 14, 2021 at 9:04 pm

LUDONI, I’m glad you mentioned Hanhold. I’ve felt he pitched well enough in spring training each of the last 2 seasons to make the club. His overall numbers might not have been the best as he had an outing or two to skew those numbers negatively but overall I thought he was impressive and I really would like to see him given a chance to pitch in Baltimore this season.

• LonelyUnlovedDudeOfNoIntegrity

April 14, 2021 at 9:16 pm

I look forward to seeing Hanhold and others rotate through the MLB level this season, will be interesting to see how everyone performs.

Would Love to see Baumann and Lowther get some starts too.

• Bhoffman1

April 14, 2021 at 9:34 pm

I’d like also to see these pitchers along with Diaz and Martin at SS . I hope they can find a team that will take Galvis

• dlgruber1

April 14, 2021 at 9:35 pm

I’ve heard that both Lowther and Baumann are expected to debut this year but I really hope they give Hanhold an opportunity as well. They have more invested in Lowther and Baumann but that shouldn’t be used against Hanhold.

April 14, 2021 at 10:38 pm

Dave, Hanhold is a reliever. Baumann and Lowther are starters, so there’s no comparison.