Orioles set Bowie alternate site roster - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Orioles set Bowie alternate site roster

The Orioles released their roster for the alternate site at Bowie, and among the 32 players on the list are some familiar names.

All of the players were at spring training in Sarasota, and 10 of them have Orioles experience — left-handers Keegan Akin and Josh Rogers, right-handers Cody Carroll, Thomas Eshelman, Travis Lakins, Evan Phillips and Cole Sulser, catcher Austin Wynns and infielders Richie Martin and Stevie Wilkerson.

Lakins, Wynns and Martin are with the Orioles on the current trip as part of the taxi squad. Sulser was optioned to the alternate site on Monday.

Noted prospects left-hander Zac Lowther, right-hander Isaac Mattson, who’s also on the taxi squad, and outfielder Yusniel Diaz are at Bowie.

Others with major league experience are left-hander Fernando Abad, right-hander Eric Hanhold, catchers Nick Ciuffo and Taylor Davis, infielders Jahmai Jones and Seth Mejias-Brean and outfielder Chris Shaw.

Twelve others who participated in camp are right-handers Marcos Díplen, Jay Flaa, Conner Greene, Mickey Jannis, Konner Wade and Spenser Watkins and left-hander Zach Muckenhirn, catcher Brett Cumberland, infielders Rylan Bannon, Mason McCoy, Tyler Nevin and Ryan Ripken.

The minor league season begins on May 4.

1. CalsPals

April 6, 2021 at 4:05 pm

What is different between the alternate site Bowie & minor league baseball?…go O’s…

April 6, 2021 at 4:11 pm

Minor league baseball won’t start until May 4.

• CalsPals

April 6, 2021 at 4:13 pm

I saw that, that doesn’t answer my question, on May 4 do they all leave…what do they do?…go O’s…

April 6, 2021 at 4:20 pm

The players will be assigned to minor league clubs. This group will mostly be assigned to Norfolk, I’m guessing. Some may go to Bowie.

• dlgruber1

April 6, 2021 at 4:13 pm

Thanks for asking that as I’m wondering the same thing. I’m planning on going to see Bowie okay ehen they come to beautiful City Island to play the Hbg. Senators and u was hoping to see either Rodriguez or Hall pitching and Rutschman catching.

• CalsPals

April 6, 2021 at 4:14 pm

Does the alternate site go away May 4?…go O’s…

• dlgruber1

April 6, 2021 at 4:15 pm

You see what happened there? I got so flustered I didn’t proofread my comment and, well, it shows.

• CalsPals

April 6, 2021 at 4:25 pm

Thanks Rich, go O’s…

2. Bhoffman1

April 6, 2021 at 8:23 pm

Chance Sisco has now struck out 6 times in a row. Severino is also a bum. Sad that Adley is not even playing baseball right now.

• CalsPals

April 6, 2021 at 8:42 pm

Totally agree, Severino is lazy behind the plate, after his yelling issue with Lopez, not sure who really would want him behind the plate, other than Mikey, no Boog, so I’ll say it, the tanking continues…go O’s…

• Icterus fan

April 6, 2021 at 9:23 pm

I’ve been holding back my comments about Severino, but the last two games I’ve watched him closely. I can’t comment on technical aspects of catching, or whether he’s “lazy”, but man he seems to flub a lot of pitches, balls glancing off the glove, even when they are up in the zone. It’s so glaring that Jim Palmer even mentioned it on the air, which is telling. I did see the miscommunication he had with Lopez in the previous game – that was obvious that they got crossed up somehow. I couldn’t tell that that was the reason they had a meltdown and why Lopez subsequently imploded with the walks. I have noticed that he spends no time with the pitchers- few mound visits, little on field banter and I haven’t seen him chumming it up in the bench either. Just my 10 cent opinion.
      Also, Cisco seems lost at the plate.

• Bhoffman1

April 6, 2021 at 10:52 pm

Where is Boog

• VICTORTEE

April 7, 2021 at 8:40 am

He said he is quitting baseball because MLB pulled the ASG from Atlanta. I guess he is wearing his white hood instead of a baseball cap now.

• willmiranda

April 7, 2021 at 12:01 pm

VT’s comment clearly below the belt.

• CalsPals

April 7, 2021 at 9:20 am

Seriously….go O’s…

April 6, 2021 at 9:51 pm

Good take on Severino Iceterus. The ball is constantly bouncing away. After that altercation with Lopez the very next pitch was hit out. That to me is telling. Makes ya wonder why they’ve stuck with Sisco/Severino these last two years as they await Rutchsman. Btw–Akin looks like he’s nursing a beer belly in the above picture.

• dlgruber1

April 6, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Don’t know how old you are but the Tigers had a pitcher named Mickey Lolich who made Akin look like an Olympic decathlete, but he was a helluva pitcher. Being in shape helps but throwing strikes is more important.

• Orial

April 7, 2021 at 8:09 am

Believe me dlgruber I am old enough and definitely remember. Good comparison. Rick Reuschel another one.

• VICTORTEE

April 7, 2021 at 8:41 am

Mickey Lolich pitched 376 innings one year (I think). And his arm didn’t fall off!!!

• Icterus fan

April 7, 2021 at 6:05 am

For some reason, Keegan Akin reminds me of Chris Tillman.
      Just in the face – his appearance – for some reason.
      Mickey Lolich ……certainly remember that name!

• CalsPals

April 7, 2021 at 8:22 am

Luis Tiant & Fernando Valenzuela were a lil on the portly side…lol…go O’s…

4. Elderleo

April 7, 2021 at 9:05 am

I thought Heston Kjerstad was going to the Bowie site but I don’t see his name???

• CalsPals

April 7, 2021 at 9:18 am

Has he been medically cleared yet?…go O’s…

April 7, 2021 at 9:49 am

Kjerstad was supposed to be reporting to minor league spring training in Sarasota, not the alternate site.

• Elderleo

April 7, 2021 at 9:56 am

About a month ago, I thought I read that Kjerstad would not go to Sarasota but would go to Bowie where his rehab could be more closely monitored. Maybe that has changed or maybe I misunderstood.

• willmiranda

April 7, 2021 at 12:04 pm

The Kjerstad saga gets curioser and curioser, beginning with his above-slot selection.

• WorldlyView

April 8, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Rich, what is the difference between the Bowie site and minor league training in Sarasota? Why can’t the players assigned to the former train at the latter?
        BTW, there can be no certainty that Kjerstad’s heart condition will resolve itself sufficiently to allow him to play baseball this year.

5. NormOs

April 7, 2021 at 2:00 pm

This Yankee series seems to be men against boys. Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander, Mullins, and Hays will hit but the O’s will probably need MLB talent at the other positions. At this time they have no MLB infielders or catchers. I’m sorry to be the one that has to tell Genius1 that it ain’t workin’, whatever his plan is. Time to go to Plan B.

• CalsPals

April 7, 2021 at 2:56 pm

Not sure there is a Plan B…lol…go O’s…

• dlgruber1

April 7, 2021 at 4:42 pm

CP I think the B in plan B stands for Bowie.

• CalsPals

April 7, 2021 at 4:49 pm

Ahhh, only thing that makes sense…go O’s…

• WorldlyView

April 8, 2021 at 11:48 pm

The “plan,” if you want to call it that, is to shrug off the 2021 season, spend as little money as possible, and try to gear up for a competitive season in 2023. It’s not so much tanking as not caring about wins and losses in the here and now. As long as some fans continue thinking the O’s are going to surprise on the upside, management can get away with short-term indifference.