Orioles activate Hays, put Davis back on injured list; Mountcastle will play first base - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Photo Credit: Joy R. Absalon

BALTIMORE—The Orioles activated outfielder Austin Hays from the 10-day injured list on Monday and put struggling first baseman Chris Davis back on the injured list.

With the return of Hays, manager Brandon Hyde said Ryan Mountcastle would play some first base in the final two weeks so that Hays, Cedric Mullins, DJ Stewart and Mountcastle would get playing time.

Hays, who hasn’t played since August 14th because of a fractured rib, is in left field for the first time in his career and batting eighth against Atlanta in Monday night’s game. Hays is batting .203 with a home run and five RBIs.

To make room for Hays, Davis has returned to the 10-day injured list because of left knee patellar tendinitis. He was activated on September 9th and played one game against the Yankees. Davis is batting .115 with three RBIs in 16 games.

“I don’t see a problem getting all four of them in there quite a bit,” Hyde said of Hays, Mullins, Mountcastle and Stewart. “Everybody needs a day off here and there. I don’t see rotating those four guys, or playing three [in the outfield] and Ryan at first base as any kind of issue.”

Mountcastle, who also played first at Triple-A Norfolk last season, has played only left field since his recall on August 21st.

“He’s been playing infield his whole life,” Hyde said. “He’s been doing some work at first base here. I know he did some at the secondary site. He played some in spring training. It’s not like he’s unfamiliar with the position. It’s just not something he grew up playing … I feel good that he could make the transition there to get all four guys’ bats in the lineup.”

Outfielder Mason Williams has cleared waivers and been assigned outright to the Bowie alternate site. Infielder/outfielder Stevie Wilkerson, who suffered a broken left ring finger on July 19, has been released.

Coming up: Hyde said that Thomas Eshelman probably would start against Atlanta on Tuesday night.

1. Bhoffman1

September 14, 2020 at 5:01 pm

Rich is this the end of Davis days in a Oriole or any uniform

2. CalsPals

September 14, 2020 at 5:54 pm

Is CD’s injury legit, not that I care, just glad he’s out, his attitude doesn’t mesh with the rest of the team, are there rules regarding injuries, real or imagined?…go O’s…

• Bhoffman1

September 14, 2020 at 6:04 pm

Yes but will he reappear in six months with a new swing and attitude. Lol

September 14, 2020 at 6:08 pm

Ya know that Rich frowns on that kind of speculation CPals. I’m sure it hurts.

• CalsPals

September 14, 2020 at 6:11 pm

So, he has an ouchy…go O’s…

September 14, 2020 at 7:00 pm

It’s more of an owie.

September 14, 2020 at 7:30 pm

Ray, there are strict rules. Before a player can be put on the injured list, it must be approved by an MLB-sanctioned physician. When the player says he’s ready to play, he must be activated.

September 14, 2020 at 6:10 pm

And the award for least surprising course of action goes to…

The only issue I have with this is 2021. Joseph Anthony Mancini III is the Orioles First Baseman as far as I’m concerned, so something will have to give. I did mean to ask Rich in his last mailbag though, any word on Trey’s health? We are all operating under the assumption he will be back for Spring Training, but Colon Cancer is a far different recovery than a strained oblique or Tommy John. I hope he is in great health and spending time with his loved ones, and I feel kinda slimy inquiring about a total strangers health, but I can’t help but wonder if early 2021 is too ambitious a timetable.

• Bhoffman1

September 14, 2020 at 6:24 pm

D Strawberry and Eric I can’t of his last name both has colon cancer and recovered and played well. He has to be watched carefully over the next few years look at that young actor who just passed away from CC. I really hope to see him on first base next year and I hope that this is the last we will hear about Davis as a Oriole

• 66OsFan

September 14, 2020 at 7:39 pm

Eric Davis is who you’re thinking about

September 14, 2020 at 7:32 pm

Steve, I spoke to Trey several weeks back for the article on his girlfriend, Sara Perlman, and he sounded energetic and excited. It was the week between cancer treatments, the last of which is scheduled for a week from now, and he’s eager to come back. He’s regularly been playing tennis and running.

• Birdman

September 14, 2020 at 7:47 pm

Glad to hear Rich’s encouraging update on Trey. We all certainly hope that he is able to play by next Spring Taining. But in case there is a delay in Trey’s return, it makes sense to get Mouncastle some work at First. Meanwhile, I have been pleasantly surprised by what I’ve seen of Mountcastle’s defense in Left.

4. spwagner44

September 14, 2020 at 7:46 pm

You know this might be the end of Chris Davis? His stay on the IL list could cause him to run out of days left to play in this season? I don’t think we see Chris Davis next season? I think the manager and the general manager just see No real place for Mr. Davis any more , on the Baltimore team? I could be wrong!

September 14, 2020 at 8:02 pm

Really? The manager and GM don’t see a place for Davis anymore? I think that was evident about a year before those 2 were hired.

• dlgruber1

September 14, 2020 at 8:44 pm

That decision isn’t in either of their hands. If the ownership does not want to pay him to play for another team, and I understand completely if that’s how they feel, then he’s gonna be on the team. If I’m right they can’t even send him to the minors. I’m as disappointed in CD as anyone but again, ownership are the only ones who will decide his future.

September 14, 2020 at 8:57 pm

David, he’s a vested veteran, so he would be put on waivers. He can’t be sent to the minors without his approval.

• Birdman

September 14, 2020 at 9:30 pm

Rich … I’m not being sarcastic – if Davis is put on waivers, do you think any team would claim him? After all, over the past 3 years, he has arguably been the worst hitter in all of MLB.

September 14, 2020 at 9:52 pm

No. That team would have to assume his salary over the next two years.

September 14, 2020 at 9:37 pm

DL … you’re preaching to the choir.

I wouldn’t say I’m disappointed by Davis. I’m about 2½ years past being disappointed. I just feel plain awful for him seeing as what he’s going through. I’ve been resigned to him being what he is for the past 3 seasons.

I am however, disappointed in Elias for his handling of Davis. He & the Angelos brothers sat on a stage when he was 1st hired, and they assured us that he had full autonomy to do whatever he deemed necessary. I believe them. My theory is that Elias saw playing Davis every day as one fantastic way to tank. And I believe this was communicated to ownership from jump. Make no mistake … Elias knows exactly what he’s doing. Even a blind GM would have realized that Davis was done loooong ago.

September 14, 2020 at 10:19 pm

Damn. They brought the sticks tonight. Also, it may be time to reconsider my theory on Mountcastle’s AL ROTY candidacy.

September 15, 2020 at 12:35 am

Definitely a serious candidate. I never stopped considering that. Next year as well!