Orioles scratch Cobb, place him on injured list; Eshelman starts Game 1 - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Orioles scratch Cobb, place him on injured list; Eshelman starts Game 1

Photo Credit: Joy R. Absalon

Alex Cobb was scratched as the Orioles’ starter for Game 1 of Friday’s doubleheader with the New York Yankees and has been placed on the injured list.

Thomas Eshelman will replace him.

Manager Brandon Hyde said the Orioles are “following protocol, and he’s unavailable today, and that s really all I can say about it at this point. Eshelman is going to start for him, and we hope he’s back soon.”

Cobb is 1-3 with a 4.33 ERA in seven starts.  Eshelman allowed two runs in an inning on Tuesday against the Mets. He’s 3-0 with a 3.48 ERA in seven games, two of them starts.

To replace Cobb on the roster, the Orioles selected the contract of right-handed pitcher Branden Kline from the Bowie alternate site.

Kline was 1-4 with a 5.93 ERA in 34 games for the Orioles in 2019.

Infielders Hanser Alberto (knee)  and Renato Núñez (hamstring) were in the lineup for Game 1. Alberto missed the Mets series because of the knee injury, and Nunez left Wednesday’s game when his hamstring flared up.

The Orioles added infielder Ramón Urias from the Bowie alternate site as the 29th man for the doubleheader.

Hyde said that right-hander Shawn Armstrong, who is on the 10-day injured list because of lower back soreness, will throw on Saturday.

“I would hope we get Armstrong some time this week,” Hyde said.

September 4, 2020 at 2:46 pm

Aaarrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh……..what have you done Cobb? Really? “Following protocol”? We all know what that means. Hopefully none of the other players will need to be “scratched”, but I wouldn’t doubt that we’ll see a few more.

2. TxBirdFan

September 4, 2020 at 2:48 pm

Cobb on the DL! Some things never change I guess! Can’t get excited over this since it happens too often.

3. spwagner44

September 4, 2020 at 2:58 pm

Following protocol, what does that mean? Does that mean COVID-19 positive?

4. CalsPals

September 4, 2020 at 3:08 pm

COVID 19 or a blister…arghhhh…go O’s…

5. Birdman

September 4, 2020 at 3:26 pm

At this point, we don’t know if ts Covid 19, or an injury. Either way, the Ubaldo signing looks like a roaring success, compared to Cobb … a total of 6 wins since 2018, on a $57 million contract … Ouch!!!

• CalsPals

September 4, 2020 at 8:05 pm

0 at OPACY…go O’s…

6. willmiranda

September 4, 2020 at 3:31 pm

Some GM who was trying to trade for Cobb must be feeling pretty good right now.

7. ClayDal

September 4, 2020 at 4:58 pm

Orioles did also make one more roster move-Mason Williams cleared waivers and is back at Bowie. For all the Mason Williams fans

8. CalsPals

September 4, 2020 at 6:33 pm

Stewart is taking ab’s away from Mountcastle…saw that coming, they had yesterday off…nice work Hydey…go O’s…

• Bhoffman1

September 4, 2020 at 6:57 pm

He’s only batting zero but he’s young and we gotta see what he can do. He’s gone once Hays is activated. Seriously shouldn’t we be seeing Diaz instead I guess they have to made a choice whether to let their former number one pick go to the same place as Smith jr and Williams but they will give him more at bats

9. Shamus

September 4, 2020 at 6:35 pm

Same old Cobb .. Following Davis’ lead .. two f ing phonies

10. CalsPals

September 4, 2020 at 7:49 pm

Holiday pinch hits for Sisco & strikes out, never swings the bat, grrrrrr…go O’s…

11. OriolesNumber1Fan

September 4, 2020 at 8:17 pm

Some good news right here: MLBPipeline.com elevating the Orioles to eighth this week.

“It’s incredible just in two years,” Mancini said. “Obviously, the rankings are subjective and everything, but to be eighth, that’s an impressive turnaround. When I was coming up through the minor league system, I think we were consistently 29th every year, so that’s a really good turnaround. It shows the guys we picked up in trades and the draft, how good they are, and I know we’ve been drafting a lot of really athletic kids from what I’ve seen and it looked like the return (Mike Elias) got on these trades, the guys are all athletic and can play multiple positions and look like really good players.”

Yeah, in the last two years moved up to eighth. Seems to be the same timeline someone was hired! I wonder who that could be. And the best part, consistently 29th every year he was coming up through the system or second to last. I wonder who was here working then. So I guess it not just me because in quotes someone else now has said what I’ve been saying. Now someone here on this sight needs to explain how silly Mancini is.

• CalsPals

September 4, 2020 at 8:25 pm

I got hired about that time, you’re welcome…go O’s…

12. Ekim

September 4, 2020 at 8:57 pm

It was only a matter of time with Shaw… and, if it’s Covid related, it, too, was only a matter of time for the team. Other responders have covered my thoughts on Cobb but one brought up another one of my least favorite O’s… DJ Stewart. I’ve followed him right from his start in the minors at Aberdeen. His performance, at each level, was abysmal and I couldn’t believe he got moved up as fast as he did year in and year out. The ONLY reason I could come up with was to save face as he was a #1 pick. To me, he’s a shining example of DD’s incompetence… which Mancini’s quote (above) has so eloquently stated. This is his 6th year and they’re “still evaluating” him. Give me (and some others here) a break! Just saying…

• VICTORTEE

September 5, 2020 at 8:37 am

Is Mountcastle an example of Duquette’s incompetence also?

Since ZERO of the Boy Wonder’s draft picks are in the majors we have no idea yet how well he has drafted, do we?

• CalsPals

September 5, 2020 at 8:56 am

Agree Vic, some want to anoint him as the 2nd coming, not saying he hasn’t picked up some good players, don’t know how much was luck or skill, but most of the top minor league players this yr were DD’s…go O’s…

13. Hallbe62

September 4, 2020 at 9:00 pm

Tough loss. Good middle innings relief from Kline, Phillips, & Tate.

14. OriolesNumber1Fan

September 4, 2020 at 9:08 pm

Did I leave out the breadcrumbs for someone to follow the trail of thought. I guess I need to be redundant with the word “here” in the same damn paragraph for some people to grasp the point!

• CalsPals

September 5, 2020 at 2:39 pm

You don’t need to be any more damned redundant than you are…go O’s…

• OriolesNumber1Fan

September 5, 2020 at 4:57 pm

And neither do you, with the ONLY 2 positive words you ever have to state “go O’s”

15. OriolesNumber1Fan

September 4, 2020 at 9:15 pm

And what I mean by “hired here” is hired by the Orioles! Just in case you get lost again.

16. OriolesNumber1Fan

September 4, 2020 at 9:27 pm

And “here on this sight” should be “here on this site”. Damn spellcheck.

September 5, 2020 at 9:25 am

Another lie. Spell check doesn’t change sight to site.

• OriolesNumber1Fan

September 5, 2020 at 4:49 pm

My app I have automatically reads in what you’re typing and puts in common used words. Something we designed here, it’s not technically just spellcheck but a grander version, something beyond your comprehension. So, no lying here.

September 5, 2020 at 7:45 pm

BS….you write like a 5th grader, and you’ve used that excuse too many times. We both know you used the wrong word. It’s what you do. 🙂

• OriolesNumber1Fan

September 5, 2020 at 9:23 pm

BS, and you’re full of it!!! And I knew you couldn’t comprehend the software we designed here. It’s kind of like having what’s called autocomplete. It puts in words as you type. And a little secret for you, my older sister hated when I used the word “ain’t” when we were growing up. But the more she hated it, the more I would secretly use it and it would really bug her. Kind of like when I use the word “your” instead of “you’re” with you. I know this gets under “you’re” skin so I do it all the more. Lol This was a lot of fun while it lasted. I guess need to find something else now that I let he cat out of the bag and told you. But I can’t stop laughing at you.

September 4, 2020 at 10:12 pm

Anything else Scoutmaster Mort? 🙂

• CalsPals

September 5, 2020 at 7:50 am

Sooo easy, sorry, was wondering how you knew I’d gotten hired, it was a retire/rehire, that probably threw you…go O’s…

• OriolesNumber1Fan

September 5, 2020 at 5:09 pm

This is nothing about YOU and your Mickey mouse job! But, while you brought it up, did you get a promotion to answering phones yet? I hope so for your sake.

• CalsPals

September 5, 2020 at 5:20 pm

Thanks for the compliment, never understood the negativity of Mickey Mouse, they seem to have it all together, I know it’s out of your wheelhouse, but thanks …& go O’s…

September 5, 2020 at 5:41 pm

Scoutmaster Mort has quite the wit.

• CalsPals

September 5, 2020 at 5:25 pm

Did you know Mickey Mouse was originally called Mortimer Mouse, but Walts wife had him change it…kind of ironic isn’t it Mort…go O’s…

18. mmcmillan1123

September 5, 2020 at 9:53 am

Shades of the early 1960’s! Bring up the Kiddie Corps and let them start some games! Enough with Cobb.

• CalsPals

September 5, 2020 at 11:27 am

Double thumbs up……go O’s…

19. OriolesNumber1Fan

September 5, 2020 at 8:47 pm

The nickname came from the last name Mortensen. As in “Chris Mortenson” the football analyst, who is often called “Mort” for short, and not from the first name Mortimer, which is totally different. And you not “understanding” something as simple as a Mickey mouse job is not surprising to me. You probably won’t get that nickname thing either. But you went as far as you could in life, taking a Mickey mouse job, I understand that’s all you can handle. And maybe you can even join the Mickey mouse fan club if there is no age limit. One of my best friends 6 year old young daughter might know, I can ask for you. And that would be an outstanding accomplishment for you, so you can make it the highlight of your next resume for your next job! If you even need a resume for the job you do.