Davis again unavailable for Orioles; Means back to start, Carroll back to Bowie - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Davis again unavailable for Orioles; Means back to start, Carroll back to Bowie

Photo Credit: Joy R. Absalon

BALTIMORE—For the second straight day, Orioles first baseman Chris Davis is not in the lineup, and manager Brandon Hyde said again that he was “unavailable.”

Hyde said that Davis worked out with the team on Tuesday, but declined to elaborate on his absence.

“I’m going to leave it at that,” Hyde said in a pregame video conference call on Thursday.

Davis is batting .091 (1-for-11) in his first three games.

Davis, who is the Orioles’ player representative, had said on Tuesday that he’s going to wear a mask when playing first base after the Covid-19 outbreak on the Marlins. The Orioles had their games postponed against Miami this week — two were scheduled for Miami and two at Camden Yards.

It was reported on Thursday that as many as 17 Marlins players had tested positive. The Phillies, the team the Marlins played last weekend, also had two positive tests and their series against the Blue Jays has been postponed.

Major League Baseball scheduled the Yankees to replace the Marlins for Wednesday’s home opener for the Orioles and Thursday’s game. On Wednesday, the Yankees defeated the Orioles, 9-3, for their 17 consecutive win over the Orioles.

Shortstop José Iglesias, who was removed from Wednesday’s game after six innings, is out with a left quad injury. He’s day-to-day, Hyde said.

Pat Valaika will start at shortstop.

Means back, Carroll gone: To make room for John Means on the roster, the Orioles optioned right-handed pitcher Cody Carroll to the Bowie alternate site. Hyde said he expected Means to pitch three or four innings. Tommy Milone and Kohl Stewart are both in the bullpen, and one of them could start on Sunday against Tampa Bay.

In two games, Carroll retired just one of the nine batters he faced, allowing six runs on three hits, four walks and a hit batter. Carroll’s ERA is 162.00.

1. Ekim

July 30, 2020 at 4:51 pm

I had sworn (to myself) not to get involved in this “fake” season and not to watch any games. Last night my wife thought she was doing me a favor and after watching her favorite shows (Jeopardy & Wheel of Fortune) turned to the game. I was in my office working on a project and when she called me into the living room there it was… the O’s down 2 to 1 and before I could blink my eyes it was 5 to 1. Even though I appreciated the thought I just couldn’t stay. Now my wife’s mad at me. So, I’ll read a bit about baseball but that 2 minutes last night was it for me watching… and I can truthfully say that it was not my idea. For you masochists, try to enjoy the misery… just sayin…

July 30, 2020 at 6:08 pm

Jeopardy is one of the few television shows I watch. I watched it nearly every night during the pause and hope they’ll have some new episodes eventually, Ekim

• CalsPals

July 30, 2020 at 7:59 pm

The seasons in Jeopardy, baby…go O’s…

July 30, 2020 at 4:53 pm

162 ERA. ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY TWO? This is getting to be funny. 162 ….. Wasn’t that Crush’s average last year?

Obviously Crush & Hyde are having their issues again. Cut him. Cut him now.

• CalsPals

July 30, 2020 at 6:28 pm

Unfortunately I agree, cut your losses & get some fresh blood out there…go O’s…

July 30, 2020 at 7:09 pm

Just ignore Richard.

• CalsPals

July 30, 2020 at 7:44 pm

Hysterical…lol…go O’s…

3. OriolesNumber1Fan

July 30, 2020 at 6:38 pm

Nice trade Dan Duquette – Cody Carroll (162 era), Dillon Tate and Josh (Tommy John) Rogers for All-Star closer Zach Britton! Just Brilliant!!! And then call Mike Elias the “Tanker”!!!

• BirdsCaps

July 30, 2020 at 10:45 pm

Don’t forget trading for all of that excess international signing money. That was well used to sign none of the top prospects.

4. Budmann

July 30, 2020 at 7:04 pm

What happened to Jim hunter?

July 30, 2020 at 8:43 pm

I believe we were told that being in his 70’s, that he’s simply avoiding the Covid while taking the year off. I understand that Jim Palmer is doing the same. Hope to see them both next year along with a new pitching staff!

5. CalsPals

July 30, 2020 at 7:33 pm

Means, 5 runs in the first, ouch, Alberto two run homer, Severino K’s looking to end the inning, swing the bat…go O’s…

6. BirdsCaps

July 30, 2020 at 7:37 pm

Glad I don’t have to watch Carroll anymore. It is awful when you stick out as bad on a team this devoid of arms.

7. CalsPals

July 30, 2020 at 7:58 pm

Ruiz, 3rd HR, two run dinger, 5-4 Yanks, Ruiz only has 3 hits all yr…Means looked much better…go O’s…

8. CalsPals

July 30, 2020 at 8:07 pm

Unfortunately if Means couldn’t pitch more than 2.1 innings they probably should’ve started someone else, I don’t temper him throwing 96 mph last yr…go O’s…

• CalsPals

July 30, 2020 at 8:07 pm

Remember

• tourswagner

July 31, 2020 at 3:22 pm

He did not. I noticed the “more than once” 96 on the radar gun and said either he’s kicked it up a notch or the gun is wrong. Hope it’s the first.

July 30, 2020 at 9:05 pm

OK … it’s raining. That’s probably it for tonite. Question for everyone regarding the lineup? OK … why does Hyde put Sahntahndaire at DH and Smith Jr. in left? Is it because of Smith’s awesome defensive capabilities? Does Sahntahndaire need a rest after playing in all of 4 whole games?

So now Happ, a lefty is out of the game and a right handed reliever is brought in. The original lineup makes it dang near impossible to bring in Sisco’s left handed bat. The only way to get him in is to pull your catcher halfway through the game, OR take out who I consider to be your best hitter in Santander.

Hyde…what are you thinking? If someone can explain it to me, please do. My Strat-o-matic senses are tingling.

• CalsPals

July 30, 2020 at 9:13 pm

They played Ruiz at 3rd & he hit a two run homer, maybe Hyde doesn’t know that he’s left handed…good lord…go O’s…

July 30, 2020 at 9:33 pm

That I understand. They want him to be an every day player as he’s been Eilas’s boy from his time in Houston. But Smith Jr.?

Speaking of Ruiz .. he’s certainly making me look stupid this 1st week as I never tooted his horn. I may have to re-evaluate him someday.

• CalsPals

July 30, 2020 at 9:38 pm

Oh, I agree with you, was just giving another example of a lefty bat starting against the lefty pitcher…go O’s…

• Birdman

July 30, 2020 at 9:52 pm

Boog, Although I disagree with you on Mountcastle (I’d rather retain an extra year of team control down the road), at least I understand your argument concerning him. But Sisco?? Don’t get your intense enthusiasm for the guy – 346 MLB at bats, and he’s produced a .202 batting average, with a very high strikeout percentage.

July 30, 2020 at 10:29 pm

Ummmmm…..there’s an old baseball axiom saying that it takes 1000 at bats in get it. 346 is a small number, especially considering he’s had a max of only 167 in one of his two seasons.

This boy will hit if given the chance …. no pun intended. If the O’s don’t give it to him, somebody will and we’ll be sorry.

That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it.