Hyde says Orioles reported in good shape, ready for 60-game 'sprint' - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Rich Dubroff

Hyde says Orioles reported in good shape, ready for 60-game ‘sprint’

Photo Credit: Joy R. Absalon

For Orioles manager Brandon Hyde, it was a strange feeling. After not seeing his team on the field since March 11, when the Orioles played the Toronto Blue Jays in Dunedin, Florida, he had most of his team on the field Friday at Oriole Park. It was the Orioles’ first workout after the delay caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

“It’s new for everybody, and not just for us, but for the other 29 teams,” Hyde said in a Zoom conference call.

“It’s obviously different to hold a three-week summer camp before a sprint season of 60 games. I just feel really good about the communication that we’ve had as an organization, as a team, as a coaching staff, over these past few months, and I think we’ve dealt with it as well as we possibly could have, and I’m really looking forward to watching our guys play.

“Our guys were really anxious to get out on the field today. They’re already talking about [Opening Day on July] 24th.”

Hyde said that with the exception of some of the players from the Dominican Republic, who were still being tested for the virus, all of his players were on the field. Because of Major League Baseball protocols on the coronavirus, he declined to comment if any player had tested positive. He did say that no player or coach has opted out.

Hyde said he has spent a lot of time familiarizing himself with MLB rules about Covid-19.

“We’ve had a lot of conversations about staying safe and really taking care of ourselves,” Hyde said. “We’ve had a lot of conversations as a team, as a coaching staff, to really be smart on and off the field and follow the guidelines, handle all the protocols and do everything that’s asked.

“So far today, we’ve done all those things, and we feel good about it going forward.

“When you’re out on the field, it feels normal. It’s definitely different in the clubhouse. It’s different in the coaches’ room. There’s just a lot of protocols we’ve bought into to make this a safe, healthy season and do everything we can to make us safe as well as the players and coaches.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Three weeks from now, the Orioles will begin the truncated season. First there will be some intrasquad games and three yet-to-be-scheduled exhibition games.

“We’re just looking forward to competing and seeing what happens,” Hyde said. “The next three weeks is a really important time to see where we are physically, get our guys in game shape as fast as possible, which is unique and something that we’ve never done before.

“We’re going to listen to the players and see how they’re feeling on a daily basis … hopefully we’re ready to go on the 24th.”

Hyde said the Orioles had added right-handed pitcher Evan Phillips to the player pool, which is at 45. Phillips was slowed during spring training by a right elbow injury, and he’s behind the other pitchers, he said.

Outfielder DJ Stewart, who’s expected to compete for a spot on the initial 30-man roster, didn’t play during spring training because he was recovering from right ankle surgery. He’s a full-go, Hyde said.

Even though it has been more than 3 ½ months since the Orioles were together, Hyde isn’t going to forget what he saw in the first month in Sarasota.

“We’re still trying to find out about a lot of guys on our roster,” Hyde said. “I really was encouraged by the momentum that we had in camp. I thought we played well. I thought our work days were fantastic. We’ve talked about that, trying to capture that momentum again here in these next three weeks.”

Hyde has kept in contact with his players and says they’re excited.

“Our guys are itching and ready to go,” he said. “They really want to play. I feel really good where our team is mentally. I thought we’ve done a really nice job of keeping up on them physically and they’ve done a nice job of taking accountability for themselves and their careers and come in here in really good shape.”

Follow Rich Dubroff on Twitter @RichDubroffMLB

11 Comments

11 Comments

  1. OriolesNumber1Fan

    July 3, 2020 at 5:50 pm

    Here’s hoping the entire Oriole organization can get through this 60 game season healthy!!!

    I read in the Baltimore Sun that the state of Maryland had 500 new Coronavirus cases for the second day in a row. Not good.

    I’m glad Mike Elias is taking his time on the 60 man roster. The roster is currently at 45 with the addition of Evan Phillips added today. The Orioles used 58 different players last year without this virus. So, for example if they should have 15 players test positive from now until opening day and say Cobb, Phillips and 5 others get hurt again and they had already designated Rutschman on the 60 man, they would have to pass Rutschman through waivers (good luck) to put him on the 40 man roster.

    • ClayDal

      July 3, 2020 at 8:53 pm

      Rutschman would not have to be exposed to waivers to be added to the roster. If they placed him on the 60 man roster and then tried to remove him, it would be the equivalent of designation for assignment exposing him to waivers. In the event of a mass COVID-19 epidemic, a team can go over 60. The Blue Jays have 62 on their 60 man roster. In the unlikely event that the Orioles put Rutschman on the 40, it would be for the express purpose of putting him on the active 26 man roster. They wouldn’t put him on the 40 and then waste an option on him. Another thing to keep in mind is that the 40 man roster is at 38. If they add LeBlanc and Millone, they would be full. Anybody they add, someone would have to come off. So I think they try to keep the 40 at 38 so they can claim players on waivers

      • Boog Robinson Robinson

        July 3, 2020 at 10:38 pm

        Yeah what he said.

    • CalsPals

      July 4, 2020 at 8:28 am

      Totally what he said…go O’s…

      • OriolesNumber1Fan

        July 4, 2020 at 4:01 pm

        My understanding would be to take Rutschman off the taxi squad would result in exposing him to waivers before they could add him to the 40 man roster. Which was my point.

        • Boog Robinson Robinson

          July 4, 2020 at 5:17 pm

          Wrong again #1. I may not understand all these things, but at least I don’t profess to.

    • ClayDal

      July 4, 2020 at 4:07 pm

      If Rutschman were added to the 60 man camp roster he would be like any other non roster invite- such as LeBlanc and Stevie Wilkerson. To be added to the roster he wouldn’t have to be removed from the 60 man roster-the Orioles would just purchase his contract.

    • CalsPals

      July 4, 2020 at 5:30 pm

      Totally why Boog said…go O’s…

  2. Bhoffman1

    July 4, 2020 at 12:25 pm

    He adds David Hess to the roster who has shown he’s not a big pitcher over and over again. He picks Smith jr even though Mason Williams has a better abbreviated spring training then him and does everything better then him. If I was Williams I would be pissed

    • CalsPals

      July 4, 2020 at 12:46 pm

      Agree, but we can’t question Mike, just keep hoping he lucks into something…go O’s…

    • ClayDal

      July 4, 2020 at 12:54 pm

      Mason Williams has a few things working against him. Not on the 40 man roster would have to be added before he could play in a game. Has no options left so could not be removed without going through waivers. Doesn’t play the infield and looks like 2 of the Opening Day “outfielders” will be infielders. Most likely Williams will wind up at the satellite camp in Bowie. Once Williams is here, he stays. They can’t send him down. At this stage they want to maintain roster flexibility. As for Hess, he is down to his last option. If they send him down this year, they can’t send him down next year. Same with Sisco. Suspect the Orioles keep them up this year so they can send them to the minors next year when they can actually play

You must be logged in to post a comment Login or Register Here

Leave a Reply

To Top