SARASOTA, Florida—Trey Mancini underwent surgery to remove a malignant tumor from his colon on Thursday. The Orioles said the surgery was successful.
The tumor was discovered last week during a colonoscopy. Lab results and a timetable for Mancini’s recovery won’t be known until next week.
Manager Brandon Hyde announced that Mancini, 27, had left the team after Saturday’s game but declined to provide further details.
Mancini and his family have asked for privacy as he recovers.
“The outpouring of love and support I have received has made an extremely tough week so much better,” said Mancini in a statement.
“I have the best family, friends, fans, and teammates imaginable. I am also eternally thankful for the Orioles’ front office, our athletic trainers, and the entire medical staff for everything they have done to help me during this time. Finally, I would like to thank everyone for their prayers and kind words, which have furthered my excitement to get back to playing the game I love.”
Orioles general manager Mike Elias added:
“We are doing everything in our power to ensure Trey recovers fully, and we can’t wait to see him back on the field as soon as possible.”