Remake of Orioles' coaching staff continues as bullpen coach John Wasdin departs - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Remake of Orioles’ coaching staff continues as bullpen coach John Wasdin departs

Photo Credit: Joy R. Absalon

The Orioles continued their remake of manager Brandon Hyde’s coaching staff on Friday when bullpen coach John Wasdin was let go.

News of Wasdin’s dismissal was first reported by The Athletic and confirmed by an industry source.

Wasdin joins first base/outfield coach Arnie Beyeler and assistant hitting coach Howie Clark, who also won’t return in 2020.

Wasdin, Clark and major league coach Jose Hernandez were the only members of Hyde’s first staff to come from the Orioles’ organization.

The 47-year-old Wasdin had been the Orioles’ minor league pitching coordinator in 2017 and 2018. Chris Holt replaced him in that role after Mike Elias was hired as general manager.

Wasdin, who pitched in 27 games for the Orioles in 2001, and Clark were the only former Orioles on this season’s staff.

Besides Hernandez, the other members of last year’s coaching staff are pitching coach Doug Brocail, major league field coordinator/catching instructor Tim Cossins, third base/infield coach Jose Flores and hitting coach Don Long.

1. PA Bird Lover

October 4, 2019 at 1:24 pm

I don’t believe the coaches left go will make any difference in the upcoming season. Coaches can/do make a difference with certain prospects. But, if the kids drafted aren’t high octane players coaching won’t work. You need baseball professional and successful scouts to do the job.

2. OriolesNumber1Fan

October 4, 2019 at 7:06 pm

The Orioles farm is moving up again!!! https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/10/where-the-os-were-ranked-in-league-top-20-lists.html
    Very interesting dialog on their ranking of Mountcastle. Seems to be repeating what I said about his defense. I hope 1st base works out for him this year so he can move up.

3. Raymo

October 4, 2019 at 10:00 pm

What exactly is a “Major League Coach”? What are his responsibilities? I never heard of that title before. Do other teams employ one?

October 4, 2019 at 10:50 pm

Hernandez helps out in many different areas. For a time that was Einar Diaz’s tittle. Other teams have coaches without specific responsibilities.

• Phil770

October 5, 2019 at 10:48 am

My guess is that there is an ombudsman type role for the Spanish speaking players, ensuring instruction and feedback are more clearly shared and conveyed.

October 5, 2019 at 11:54 am

Jose Flores, the third base coach, also speaks Spanish, Phil.

4. NormOs

October 5, 2019 at 4:01 pm

This disaster of a bullpen and who loses his job? The poor schmuck that didn’t know what he was getting into. What about the “relievers” (gag) that were responsible for Coach Wasdin losing his job? He had NOTHING to work with. Are the “analytic” mavens ready to have someone put together a bullpen who actually knows what he’s doing? At this point, the O’s will be losing 100+ games for several more years. How many games of the 223 losses the last 2 years were a direct result a non existent bullpen?

• CalsPals

October 5, 2019 at 5:35 pm

You can’t make chicken salad outta chicken $**t…go O’s…

October 5, 2019 at 7:05 pm

Say CP … Seems as though Baseball America is repeating our buddy. Savant I tell you.

October 5, 2019 at 7:15 pm

Say CalPal … Did you see where Baseball America is now repeating your fan?

• Jbigle1

October 6, 2019 at 11:43 am

Not having a great group of guys doesn’t mean you are a good coach. Givens took a massive step backward, whether that’s on Wasdin is certainly up for debate. But nonetheless true. Paul Fry and Richard Bleier had looked very good the year before and also regressed…..When you cant find a pitcher in the bullpen who improved; I’m not going to be crying over the departed the bullpen coach.

October 6, 2019 at 11:54 am

JBigs .. I’m not challenging what you’re saying, I in large part agree … Wasdin’s departure isn’t any great shakes. However, I do have this question. You’re suggesting that there “could” be a link between these 3 relievers regression and the bullpen coach. I haven’t the answer, but wouldn’t more of the blame on the coaching side of things be laid on the Pitching Coach vs. the Bullpen guy? I’ve always thought a bullpen coach was more of a “logistics man for warming guys up” type of position?

• Jbigle1

October 6, 2019 at 2:07 pm

Boog…. I think it’s certainly up for debate how the blame gets spread around. You could put some of it on Hyde, Wasdin, Brocail and the player himself. Wasdin was a holdover from the last regime and the easiest to boot. I think your undervaluing what the bullpen coach does though. He certainly does more than just warm the guys up. He’s brocail’s right hand man for the 8-9 guys down there. I’m not in the position nor do I have enough knowledge to say Wasdin was an issue but from the outside looking in he doesn’t have much of an argument for being any kind of solution.

• CalsPals

October 6, 2019 at 8:49 am

Hahaha, he’s a genius, without a job…go O’s…

• OriolesNumber1Fan

October 6, 2019 at 3:31 pm

You got the genius part right! Anyway, while you and your girlfriend boo keep bringing the rain, I’ll keep being the parade!

• CalsPals

October 6, 2019 at 12:01 pm

I would think the pitching coach would hold more responsibility, the bullpen coach sounds more like a game day, get guys ready kinda thing, really, don’t they get guys ready per the manager?

• CalsPals

October 6, 2019 at 4:31 pm

Sorry, I meant idiot savant, my bad, O’s just canned a bunch of guys, maybe they can change your offices…go O’s…

• OriolesNumber1Fan

October 6, 2019 at 5:10 pm

Well now you got genius and savant right. I’ll leave the idiot to you and girlfriend booster. You two should really just get a room already. Oh, my bad you guys already have!!! That explains a lot!!!

• CalsPals

October 6, 2019 at 6:19 pm

You’re too easy…hysterical…go O’s…

• Camden Brooks

October 6, 2019 at 7:56 pm

Who knows why he was let go…maybe his personality, demeanor, or coaching style didn’t jive with the team.

5. Bhoffman1

October 6, 2019 at 9:02 pm

Exciting watching the Nats play to bad it not the O’s.

• CalsPals

October 7, 2019 at 7:32 am

Especially their youngens, easier to get them in the lineup with their starting pitching…go O’s…