It's a done deal - Orioles name Hyde manager - BaltimoreBaseball.com

It’s a done deal – Orioles name Hyde manager

Photo credit: Bryan Lynn - Icon Sportswire

Three days after reports surfaced that the Orioles were prepared to make Brandon Hyde their manager, Hyde was named as the team’s 20th manager.

Hyde, who was the Chicago Cubs’ bench coach in 2018, didn’t play in the major leagues but has been with the Cubs for the past seven years as minor league field coordinator, director of player development and, for the past five seasons, as a major league coach.

He was Chicago’s bench coach in 2014 and first base coach from 2015-17 before returning to the bench last season.

The 45-year-old also spent nine seasons in the Marlins’ organization as a minor league coach, manager and major league coach. Hyde was interim manager for one game in 2011.

“After conducting an intensive search, I believe that we have found the ideal leader for the next era of Orioles baseball,” Mike Elias,  Orioles executive vice president and general manager said Friday.

“Brandon’s deep background in player development and major league coaching, most recently helping to shape the Cubs into a world champion, has thoroughly prepared him for this job and distinguished him throughout our interview process. I look forward to introducing him to our fans next week and to working together with him to build the next great Orioles team.”

Hyde will be introduced at a news conference on Monday at noon.

He played four seasons in the Chicago White Sox organization and one season of independent ball.

1. jkneps63

December 14, 2018 at 4:26 pm

Good pick for manager IMO, hopefully Brandon Hyde will bring a large positive influence to the entire Orioles organization.

The way Mike Elias handled the situation Tuesday was not very good IMO, I hope he learns from this and can be more straight forward, frank and honest in the future.

December 14, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Looking forward to meeting him, jkneps.

2. Bhoffman1

December 14, 2018 at 5:51 pm

They are finally going in the right direction. It might be ugly next year but the future with Elias and Hyde look bright

December 14, 2018 at 6:13 pm

bhoffman, next year may well be challenging.

• PA Bird Lover

December 15, 2018 at 4:17 pm

I’m betting it will be much better than most here. Of course there are (“if’s”) and I am not figuring on a wild card position

• PA Bird Lover

December 15, 2018 at 4:22 pm

Sorry about the break in my response. I guess my fingers are to big to type on IPhone.
      However, if Trumbo and Davis happen to have come backs, the offense might be respectful. Pitching is another if. The infield and outfield better help the pitchers.

3. cedar

December 14, 2018 at 8:15 pm

Front Office and Field Manager are in place. I hope the coaching staff will come into focus a little more quickly but there is still plenty off-season time left.

December 14, 2018 at 8:31 pm

I think the coaching staff will come together fairly quickly, cedar though with the holidays approaching it will probably be early next year before it’s finalized.

4. Mlretiree

December 15, 2018 at 9:55 am

If he’s not signed, consider bringing back Ryan Flaherty as manager of Norfolk or Bowie and build back with young managerial talent as well.

December 15, 2018 at 10:38 am

I kind of like that suggestion.

December 15, 2018 at 9:20 pm

I’ll pass that one on to Flash, mire.

December 15, 2018 at 10:17 am

I guess the media was right after all.

• willmiranda

December 15, 2018 at 12:58 pm

A refreshing break from fake news! I wonder who the leaker was. Pet Rock Anderson? Do analytics people
      work as plumbers? This new administration could be fun, especially since no one cares about losses for the near future.

December 15, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Will, I think this new administration could be endlessly fascinating.

6. JK in EC

December 15, 2018 at 1:55 pm

I really appreciate BaltimoreBaseball.com and the sensible, well-informed comment section that goes with the articles (the Orioles Facebook comment section has practically declared that all hope is lost because a former Oriole great or an experienced retread manager hasn’t been hired). I like these recent hires and, even as a lifelong O’s fan who loves, Eddie, Cal , Dempsey, Bordick, etc., I’m ready and willing for the O’s to take a completely new approach. Nostalgia isn’t going to help anyone get on base or cross the plate. I haven’t embraced analytics and Statcast as my preferred way to consume baseball stats — I still prefer counting statistics. But, I do recognize they are proving to be the best way to construct and run a team on the field. The Orioles Way produced a lot of success for many years but I don’t think that is how today’s players or teams operate. I am ready to find a new Orioles Way so that my 9 year old might get to experience the same feeling that the 13-year-old me had when Cal caught the final out of the 1983 World Series.

December 15, 2018 at 9:22 pm

I appreciate your support of our section, JK.