Diner Question: How much postseason baseball will you watch? - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Dubroff’s Diner

Diner Question: How much postseason baseball will you watch?

The Orioles’ season ends Sunday, and Dubroff’s Diner will be transitioning to offseason hours. We’ll still be around with questions every week.

Since we have many TVs, some will be tuned into football, others to postseason baseball.

After watching 122 Oriole games so far this season, you might think I’ve had enough. But I enjoy well-played baseball, and I’m looking forward to the postseason.

The Orioles have just seen the Athletics, Yankees and Red Sox and will conclude the season with four games against the Astros, so the AL playoff teams will be familiar.

This year, the only NL playoff team the Orioles faced was Atlanta, and they took two of three against them.

Some Orioles fans may be tired of watching subpar baseball and want to check in on the players traded in July. The Braves have clinched a spot, and fans of Kevin Gausman, Brad Brach and Nick Markakis will tune in.

There’s a possibility the Dodgers and Brewers could face each other, which would put Manny Machado and Jonathan Schoop on the same field.

This Week’s Diner Question: How much of baseball’s postseason are you planning to watch?

[ SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCASTS HERE: iTunes / Google Play ]

1. VaOsFan

September 27, 2018 at 7:57 am

I will follow the Indians closely, rooting against the Yanks and especially Boston. I admit it will be interesting if the Yanks and Boston end up playing each other. Aside, so the Os finished up against the Sox ‘second team’ with Sale pitching and beat up on them.

September 27, 2018 at 6:19 pm

Va, there are certainly a lot of Orioles fans rooting against the Red Sox and Yankees.

September 27, 2018 at 8:40 am

This all depends on MLB’s penchant for playing these games while attempting to appease the West Coast.

Frankly, I could say that I’d watch almost all the games were they to be played during daylight hours and in the early evening hours on the East Coast. But my bet is that in order to watch this year’s World Series, we’ll have to stay up well past midnight on the East Coast, and frankly, I’m not going to commit my time to watching the 1st half of a games, knowing the meaningful part of the contest will to take place well past my bed time. So, I guess my answer is, “not much”.

The really sad part of this is that MLB will continue to alienate a generation of children that have school in the morning in order to sell more beers on the west coast.

September 27, 2018 at 8:46 am

This all depends on MLB’s penchant for playing these games while attempting to appease the West Coast and their corporate sponsers.

Truthfully, I could say that I’d watch almost all the games were they to be played during daylight hours and if they started in the early evening hours of the East Coast. But my bet is that in order to watch this year’s World Series, we’ll have to stay up well past midnight on the East Coast to catch the end of the contest. Frankly, I’m not going to commit my time to watching the 1st half of a games, knowing the meaningful part of the contest will to take place well past my bed time. So, I guess my answer is, “not much”.

The really sad part of this is that MLB will continue to alienate another generation of children that have school in the morning in order to sell more beer and automobiles, all the while allowing Soccer and Quidditch to take control of the future of our country’s sports landscape. Very shortsighted in opinion.

• Orial

September 27, 2018 at 8:56 am

Appease the West Coast by putting them on east coast prime time?

September 27, 2018 at 6:23 pm

Boog, a huge part of the country lives on the West Coast. While I would love more day games in the postseason, many kids can’t watch them. Some could watch after school, but for those in the Mountain and Pacific time zones, those games begin in the morning and are played when they are in school and others are at work.

It’s hard to please the whole country, and yes, I don’t like games that end after midnight, I realize they’re just trying their best to please everybody–and their studies show that starting games a little after 8 Eastern gets them the largest audiences.

4. Creatively09

September 27, 2018 at 8:55 am

I honestly haven’t even thought about it much, and I’m not sure I even have a cable package that will get most of the games. As is my custom, I will always root for the Yankees and the Red Sox to lose.

September 27, 2018 at 6:24 pm

Creatively, you raise a good point. It’s shortsighted for baseball to put some games on FoxSports1, a network few people watch, and MLB Network, which fewer people watch.

I have all those channels, but I’m in the business to watch. The casual fan shouldn’t be mystified about where all the games are.

September 27, 2018 at 9:00 am

I’ll root against Red Sox,Yankees,Dodgers,Cubs. Is that an anti big market trend or what? I’ll root for Cleveland as Ramirez,Lindor start looking at impending free agency(sound familiar?). Come on Mesa brothers give us a second thought!

September 27, 2018 at 6:26 pm

Orial, there are the Indians, Athletics, Brewers who are representing the smaller markets.

September 27, 2018 at 9:33 am

As much as I can. I’m still a baseball fan, even if the team I invest my time and money into is a complete trainwreck. Effective October 2d, I am officially the biggest Oakland A’s fan this side of the Mississippi, though I’m also pulling for the Braves for Markakis sake.

September 27, 2018 at 6:26 pm

I think there are a lot of fans who agree with you, Bancells.

7. DevoTion

September 27, 2018 at 10:27 am

I don’t see myself watching very much postseason, this season has been such a downer for the O’s, it has me hardly interested in the game at all. But, the postseason has been so good the past couple of years my interest may change. I would like to see the Dodgers and Indians in the world series. So, I will let you know in a couple of weeks if I’m watching so maybe you should ask this question again

September 27, 2018 at 6:27 pm

Devo,, I’ll be here, so make sure and let me know if you’re watching. The guess here is that you will be.

8. 5Hero19

September 27, 2018 at 10:37 am

Not having seen a lot of quality baseball on MASN this year, I’m kinda looking forward to it!

September 27, 2018 at 6:28 pm

5Hero, I am really looking forward to some more interesting story lines.

9. wuffah

September 27, 2018 at 11:36 am

All of it, every single inning. no more baseball after that. Plus every single Oriole we traded away is on a postseason roster (assuming LA and their 92% odds get in), so plenty of our guys to cheer for.

September 27, 2018 at 6:29 pm

wuffah, wouldn’t you love to see the Dodgers and Braves or the Brewers? I think there’s more to watch this year than ever before.

10. deqalt

September 27, 2018 at 11:59 am

I will watch hoping to see Yankees and Red Sox lose!!!

September 27, 2018 at 6:30 pm

You’re apparently not alone, deqalt.

11. SpinMaster

September 27, 2018 at 12:52 pm

I will watch as much as I can. I don’t really have a strong routing interest in any of the teams, will pay a lot of attention to the National League playoffs since so many of our exes are there.
    I do agree with Boog that TV has ruined the playoffs. The only games that will be on in the afternoon are the ones that the networks think are not marque games. The Yankees and Dodgers will be in prime time no matter who they play. Money always wins out over appeasing young fans.

September 27, 2018 at 6:40 pm

Spin, to me all playoff games are marquee games. The Dodgers will be in prime time, and so will the Cubs, who have proven to be a national draw. If the Yankees and Red Sox play, and they would if the Yankees win the wild-card game, you can bet they’ll be in prime time.

• SpinMaster

September 28, 2018 at 12:47 pm

Rich: Call me strange, but as a baseball fan, I would love to see a Red Sox – Yankee playoff series. The only disappointing thing about their chance to meet is it would be in the Division Series (best 3 of 5) instead of the LCS. But given that it would be a shorter series, it may just be “must watch” TV.