Diner question: Which Oriole who debuted in 2018 has impressed you the most? - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Dubroff’s Diner

Diner question: Which Oriole who debuted in 2018 has impressed you the most?

It’s time for another edition of “Dubroff’s Diner,” and with the Orioles off today, let’s ponder the new Orioles of 2018. Eleven players have made their major league debuts with the Orioles this season.

They are outfielder Cedric Mullins, infielders Engelb Vielma, Steve Wilkerson, catcher Austin Wynns and seven pitchers: Pedro Araujo, Cody Carroll, Nestor Cortes, Paul Fry, David Hess, Ryan Meisinger and Yefry Ramirez.

Cortes was sent back to the New York Yankees in April. Carroll, Fry, Hess, Mullins, Ramirez and Wynns are currently with the team.

The club record for most players to make their major league debut is 14, set in 1955, the team’s second year.

The question is: Who has impressed you the most? Who would you like to see back on the team in 2019?

[ SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCASTS HERE: iTunes / Google Play ]

1. Beeb

August 16, 2018 at 8:51 am

Mullins is the most exciting but too early for evaluation. Wynns is a pleasant surprise. Should not be a starting catcher but maybe a solid backup going forward. For now…he is my pick.
    No pitching prospects…unless a new pitching coach would solve some of that. Funny how none of the pitching coaches seem to be interviewed.

August 16, 2018 at 9:29 am

Beeb, I agree with you about Wynns. He seems to make the most out of his ability.

• boss61

August 16, 2018 at 11:47 am

I’m with Beeb too, but I think its too soon to rule out a starting catcher job. Honorable mentions for Paul Fry and David Hess.

• Jbigle1

August 20, 2018 at 10:13 pm

I think wynns could potentially be our catcher. Sisco has really been lost this season. Hopefully he gets back on track but Wynns looks like he might be able to stake a claim to that role. Fry is a nice little lefty out of the pen. Can’t agree with you on Hess though. He’s a future mop up man. Doesn’t generate ground balls or miss many bets. Those guys have a very very small margin of error.

August 16, 2018 at 9:13 am

Rich you sure have been asking some tough questions lately(who is the O’s MVP and now this). Mullins is an option but too little a sample size. My answer–Paul Fry. Please Paul,don’t implode!

August 16, 2018 at 9:30 am

Orial, I’m just trying to keep you on your toes. Fry has been very impressive so far.

3. Section18

August 16, 2018 at 10:06 am

Cedric Mullins is the most impressive so far even though it’s been only six games. I’m a little bit concerned about him pulling up about 10 feet from the CF fence and watching the ball bounce up against it. Twice it’s happened. It’s either a vision thing or experience thing. This problem can be fixed. 4. Doubles in first 6 games? Impressive!

August 16, 2018 at 10:09 am

Learning major league parks is part of the growing experience, and center field is a very difficult position, 18.

4. cboemmeljr

August 16, 2018 at 10:21 am

Mullins seemless transition to MLB is what is most impressive. The bright lights do not seem to faze him.

I agree Rich about the defense; he is learning new ballparks and what must be kept in mind is this is the first time playing in a 3-level ballpark. The sight lines and view is different than in the minor league parks. He will learn the parks: he has a good one in Adam jones to learn from. Crashing into concrete walls is certainly worse than the walls in some of the MiLB parks.

I look for Mullins, Yefry Ramirez, and Austin Wynns to return.

August 16, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Cboe, Mullins, Ramirez and Wynns are interesting choices.

• cboemmeljr

August 16, 2018 at 3:08 pm

“Interesting” as in “good” or as in “why those three, I’m surprised?” LOL I was only dealing with those you listed not others currently on farm. Going into 2019 it will depend on what other positions open up on the 25-man roster. There are bright spots in the minors but who comes up will be dictated by opportunities.

August 16, 2018 at 4:13 pm

I think they sound like good choices who are worth a further look.

5. OsfansinWV

August 16, 2018 at 10:24 am

Fry, Wynns and Y Ramirez are the 3 that have stuck out. A couple of the young flame throwers in the bullpen have been decent other than a little bit of command troubles but that can be ironed out with some experience and coaching. I’m excited for the new generation of O’s!!!

August 16, 2018 at 3:15 pm

WV, I’m glad you’re excited. I think this offseason will be fascinating.

6. willmiranda

August 16, 2018 at 11:07 am

I hope you guys are right about Mullins improving his defense. He had trouble coming in on a fly on Tuesday and going back for two balls on Wednesday. And his arm seemed feeble. Be that as it may, I’ll take Araujo, just based on physical size and ability. I think he has more upside than the other candidates. Like Mullins and the others, he has stuff to work on; but I think he could become a strikeout machine.

August 16, 2018 at 4:14 pm

Will, I think Araujo could use some time in the minors to develop.

August 16, 2018 at 11:37 am

Me again. After reading some of these assessments on Mullins and with Diaz on the horizon I wonder if he will be more suited for LF?

• Steve Cockey

August 16, 2018 at 9:36 pm

I’d like to see Diaz and Hays start hitting at Bowie, Orial. That would get me excited.

August 16, 2018 at 11:39 am

An outfielder who has played less than 10 Major League games is the front runner, while none of the others seems like a viable Major League option outside of a backup catcher and a left-handed reliever. Oof. Can we table this til next August?

August 16, 2018 at 3:11 pm

Maybe we’ll ask it again then, Bancells.

9. Grand Strand Bird Fan

August 16, 2018 at 12:19 pm

Mullins has been the most impressive even though it’s only six games. He adds speed to the line-up and is very athletic. I would say Wynns would be next followed by Fry. Wynns has the makings of being a solid backup catcher. Although Fry has struggled in August, he has done well overall.

August 16, 2018 at 4:16 pm

It seems a number of fans agree with you, Grand Strand.

10. TxBirdFan

August 16, 2018 at 1:15 pm

I agree with Bancells. I haven’t really been impressed with anyone. Unless we are setting the bar really really low. It’s too early to include Mullins or Wynn in the mix, and no pitcher has distinguished himself, regardless of how often Buck might throw them out there.

I can’t believe the O’s pushed Jones through waivers. After Bundy’s latest implosion, Jones is the most attractive reason to go to the ballpark. He should be a lifetime Oriole – and the new guys are still very wet behind the ears.

August 16, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Some interesting points, Tx.

• Paul Folkemer

August 16, 2018 at 4:18 pm

I would guess that the Orioles probably pushed almost every player, or at least every veteran, through waivers. They’re revocable waivers, so what’s the harm? Might as well see who clears in case you want to try to make some August trades. Jones has already made it clear that he’s not going to approve a trade, so I don’t think you have to worry about him being dealt.

11. Hall7464

August 16, 2018 at 4:09 pm

Cedrick Mullins speed to burn good glove and solid impactful.

12. Ikeepem

August 16, 2018 at 8:59 pm

Araujo is garbage, no fture in MLB.

13. Ekim

August 16, 2018 at 10:17 pm

Next question!

August 17, 2018 at 9:55 am

You’ll have to wait until next Thursday, Ekim!

14. SpinMaster

August 17, 2018 at 3:22 pm

For my money, Mullins and Wynns have shown the most promise. The surprise at this is they are both position players, not something that our system has produced lately. For all the hand wringing about production from the young players, I think we all have to realize that for a couple of years some of these guys will be learning on the job and we shouldn’t expect great production from any of them quite yet.

August 18, 2018 at 6:55 am

I think those are valid points, SpinMaster. Some of these players are merely placeholders, and not likely to be around when, hopefully, the team improves.