Diner Question: Which Oriole minor leaguer are you most eager to see? - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Dubroff’s Diner

Diner Question: Which Oriole minor leaguer are you most eager to see?

Photo credit: Scott Sears

It’s time for another edition of “Dubroff’s Diner,” and now that you’ve had a chance to digest your meal after the trade deadline, let’s look ahead.

My colleague, Dean Jones, is off this week and since there won’t be a “Dean’s Dozen,” we have a minor league-themed question.

In the trades for Manny Machado, Zach Britton, Brad Brach, Kevin Gausman, Darren O’Day and Jonathan Schoop, the Orioles received 15 players. Thirteen are in the minors.

Our question is: Which player (or players) from those trades are you most excited about? Or, which player who was already in the minor league league system are you most eager to see get called up?

August 10, 2018 at 8:30 am

It appears that Mullin’s chance is closed at hand so I’ll skip over him and jump right to Mountcastle. The O’s keep close tabs on player options/tenure so I doubt he’ll be up not to mention his questionable fielding. Tate and Diaz both acquired in recent trades also hold a curiosity for me. But my feeling is that Mullins will be here soon,Hays and a few pitchers in Sept.

• Jack Gibbons

August 10, 2018 at 3:35 pm

Good call on Mullins, Orial. He received his promotion today and will be in center field tonight, with Adam Jones moving to right.

2. Creatively09

August 10, 2018 at 8:31 am

Aside from being eager to see him, I’m perplexed why Mullins hasn’t been called up yet.

• JCO

August 10, 2018 at 9:28 am

He’s been in a slump, so that delayed him. He should be up pretty soon.

August 10, 2018 at 4:47 pm

The Orioles obviously heard you, Creatively.

3. 54orioles

August 10, 2018 at 8:45 am

I want them all and I want them now. Get on it.

4. boss61

August 10, 2018 at 8:52 am

Diaz, I feel we know what Mullins brings to the table. (Younger and maybe speedier Gentry).

5. bigdaddydk

August 10, 2018 at 8:59 am

Honestly, just based on pure anticipation, I’m most anxious to see Hunter Harvey. My interest there is in seeing if he’s been worth the wait. The guy has been like a Greek tragedy with regards to injuries, and I really hope this ends better for him than one of those aforementioned works. I guess saying I’m anxious for him to be called up may not be quite accurate. But he’s the player I want to see more than any other in the system.

August 10, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Bigdaddy, I have no idea when we’ll see Harvey, although it looks as if we’ll have to wait until 2019.

• bigdaddydk

August 11, 2018 at 8:19 am

As it stands now, I’m not interested in rushing him to the majors. It’s not like he’s the last piece of the rebuild puzzle and we’re just waiting for him to get there.

6. Creatively09

August 10, 2018 at 9:02 am

I’ll add on to my previous entry, that I feel like Garabez Rosa deserves a call up. Not because he’s the future of the team, but because he’s been toiling in the Orioles minors since 2007. He’s not a prospect, but for the love of god give him his day in the sun.

August 10, 2018 at 4:53 pm

Had Rosa had a bigger season in Triple-A, I think he would have been called up already. The Orioles and other major league teams generally call players up, not to reward them, but to see if they can help them.

7. Tzuk

August 10, 2018 at 10:17 am

Please give Little Yaz a shot. He’s batting better than Mullins and Stewart and it could peak fan interest. With all the OFers on the way, this could be his last and only shot.

August 10, 2018 at 5:03 pm

Tzuk, overall, Mike Yastrzemski’s minor league numbers are not compelling, and I would be surprised if he got a call.

8. JustWin8

August 10, 2018 at 11:16 am

If like to see anyone but Beckham or Davis in the lineup. :). Time to give Stewart a shot. He has been grinding at each level. Let’s see what he can do in the bigs

August 10, 2018 at 5:05 pm

DJ Stewart’s numbers at Norfolk, haven’t been great, JustWin. Entering tonight, he’s batting just .238 although he has a .338 OBP. He’ll probably get a call next month.

9. Grand Strand Bird Fan

August 10, 2018 at 11:22 am

I think most people including myself want to see Mullins. He is very athletic with base stealing ability. I would like to see DJ Stewart along with Brandon Kline. Stewart’s average has been down lately and he has had injuries. However, he still leads Norfolk in home runs, rbi, obp, and steals. Kline was a high pick several years ago. He like many drafted Orioles pitchers has been injured but seems to be healthy now with a power arm. They need to make room for these guys and let them play.

August 10, 2018 at 5:07 pm

You’re getting your wish on Mullins, Grand Strand. I am eager to see Kline, and I think there’s a decent chance you’ll see him in September.

10. deqalt

August 10, 2018 at 11:22 am

How about Ryan Ripken!!!

August 10, 2018 at 5:08 pm

Ryan Ripken is batting 248 at Delmarva, deqalt.

11. Ekim

August 10, 2018 at 12:39 pm

Put all their names in a bowl and pull one out. Mullins is an “Eh… maybe” but the only reason Stewart is in Norfolk is they have so much $ invested in him. All the others need “seasoning” and doing it in the majors is a tough row to hoe. Face it, the cupboard is bare.

August 10, 2018 at 5:10 pm

Ekim, I think you’re being a little too pessimistic here. There are some good pitchers at Frederick and Bowie, and overall the talent is better than it has been in the past though it still needs to get better.

• Ekim

August 11, 2018 at 5:01 am

Rich… after last night (19 runs) they should bring them all up, right now. That was unbelievable!

12. SpinMaster

August 10, 2018 at 2:06 pm

On a general note, here it is August 10 and none of our prospects have been called up. Now I read that Craig Gentry is ready to re-join the team. Are the auditions going to take place before the rosters expand? If I have to watch another game with Beckham at shortstop, I think I will puke.

August 10, 2018 at 5:12 pm

You’re getting your wish, Spinmaster, Mullins is on hand.

13. Tswayne11

August 10, 2018 at 2:10 pm

With out a doubt… Ryan Mountcastle. The ball makes a different sound when it comes off his bat. He’s going to be a beast!

August 10, 2018 at 5:13 pm

The only question, Tswayne is where does Mountcastle play?

14. Allen Carbaugh

August 10, 2018 at 2:40 pm

Going to say Ryan McKenna! Not as an outfielder either. I can see a move to second base in the near future with how many young outfielders the O’s have. He’s a young guy, only 21 and he’s already holding his own at Double-A. Very hard nose player who I don’t think will blow anybody away but will be a valuable piece in the future.

August 10, 2018 at 5:16 pm

Allen, I think McKenna has real potential. i saw him at Bowie last month, and I think he’ll more likely be an Oriole in 2019 than 2018.

15. Lynn

August 12, 2018 at 12:02 pm

I personally believe TJ Nichting is being overlooked. He is a lead off hitter and his OBP is great. He can powerhit aswell. He is consistent and dependable! Give him a shot call him up. He is also a switch hitter do I need say more. I guess we wont have a chance to see him til 2019!

16. Maka

August 13, 2018 at 6:11 pm

Austin Hayes. Had a monster year in 2017. If he regains the 2017 form, he could be the type of stud player we need to eventually compete in the AL East. He seems to have the potential to be above average both offensively and defensively. Ryan Mountcastle also is intriguing with the bat and could be another potential stud.

17. GSISDANNO

September 2, 2018 at 4:59 pm

Ryan Mountcastle. we need a power hitter ar third base.