Adam Jones is staying, and he doesn't care what you think - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Adam Jones is staying, and he doesn’t care what you think

NEW YORK—Adam Jones is staying with the Baltimore Orioles while many of his teammates have departed.

Manny Machado has been gone for nearly two weeks. Zach Britton was sitting in the New York Yankees’ bullpen. Brad Brach left Sunday, and if Orioles Executive Vice President Dan Duquette had his way, Jones would have been gone over the weekend, too.

But Jones didn’t want to accept a proposed trade to the Philadelphia Phillies, and just before the Orioles’ 6-3 loss to the New York Yankees on Tuesday, Jonathan Schoop, Kevin Gausman and Darren O’Day followed the others out the door.

Jones is staying, and he had a strange night.

“You know, me personally, I haven’t played a game without those guys in a few years, so (it’s) definitely different,” Jones said.

“But I see what they’re talking about when they’re talking about us with a rebuild and fire sale. We got rid of some guys that are making substantial money and are probably going to make substantial money next year. That’s they’re going in a different direction. So I wish the best to both of those guys and Brach. They’re all three going to pretty good situations. So, I wish the best for them.”

Jones knows that the Orioles, who fell to 32-75 and had a modest three-game winning streak stopped, may be playing the final two months of the season with a patchwork lineup and with rookies taking some of his playing time.

“It might not look pretty some days, might look pretty some days,” Jones said. “It’s not going to be all grandeur and all that stuff. We are going to struggle the next two months. But you can go out there and control how you play the game, control your attitude, control your energy, control your effort. Just because you don’t get the necessary results doesn’t mean you are not trying.”

Jones refused to elaborate on the reasons he declined to accept the trade.

“When players walked out years ago and walked the picket lines and all that stuff, they did all that for reasons right now,” Jones said. “I earned this, and it’s my decision, thank you.

“Here’s the thing about society. Everyone thinks they know what’s best for the next person. If someone wants to pay all my bills, trust me, they can tell me what to. Until then, shut the hell up.”

Jones said he’s content with his decision.

“A hundred percent. I made the decision,” Jones said. “It’s my decision. It’s my life. There’s the thing. I’m not going around telling other people and dictating other people’s lives. Why do they do that with us? So, no one’s going to tell me what to do. I earned every single bit of it. People before me fought vigorously to get rights like this, and I can invoke them.”

Although Duquette has said the Orioles are going younger, Jones might want to remain in Baltimore beyond this year. He’s not going there yet, though.

“I can’t think that far,” Jones said. “I’m going to weigh every option I have, just like I did this time. There’s still another month in the waiver wire and that kind of stuff, so you never know. But it’s my decision. I appreciate everybody with their two cents. I didn’t ask for it. But I greatly appreciate everybody with how they think Adam Jones should do his career. Thank you, for wasting your own personal time.”

August 1, 2018 at 7:59 am

Thanks for staying Mr. Jones. Strictly from selfish fan’s perspective, I’m hoping that you never wear any other team’s colors. You’re the man and you’re 100% correct that you’ve earned the the right to invoke this rule. Hell, you’ve earned a lot more than that.

August 1, 2018 at 1:50 pm

Boog, there are many Orioles who share your sentiments.

2. bmoreloud

August 1, 2018 at 8:44 am

In Adam’s own words, you can read what the problem was with the 2018 Orioles. I’m looking forward to watching the next generation of Orioles.

August 1, 2018 at 1:52 pm

bmoreloud, I think that if all the Orioles produced as well as Adam Jones did this year, what’s happened recently wouldn’t have happened.

3. musicmanjr

August 1, 2018 at 8:49 am

I love it! Thank you for being a Stand Up guy, Adam. The front office makes terrible decisions (letting Nelson Cruz get away, paying Chris Davis $161 million, signing Ubaldo, etc). There’s no reason for you to take the hit for Dan Duquette’s malpractice as GM.

August 1, 2018 at 1:54 pm

musicman, I think you have articulated what a lot of fans are feeling.

4. OsfansinWV

August 1, 2018 at 9:17 am

He has deserved everything that he’s achieved. Great human on and off the field and has helped the city thru charities and his play on the field. IMO I think he oughtta be extended as long as he wants to play. He may not be beloved as much as Cal, Brooks,Palmer but he is still an Orioles all-time great and the #10 should be hanging in left field some day!!! Let’s go O’s!!!

August 1, 2018 at 1:57 pm

Well, Osfansin WV, Adam Jones has certainly been shown lots of love from Orioles fans recently. I can understand why.

5. bigdaddydk

August 1, 2018 at 9:29 am

Adam Jones invoked a right that is his to invoke. I have no problem with it. Fans forget that players have families and they’re more than just a resource to be reallocated at will once they acquire certain rights. I don’t blame Adam for not wanting to uproot his family or be separated from them for two months, perhaps longer. I’m fine with him remaining with the team beyond this year if he wants to, provided two things happen: he signs a contract that reflects his age (no more $10-15 million contracts for declining players) and he moves to a corner OF position. He can be a great mentor for younger players and a positive clubhouse presence. And he’s still got a lot to offer on the field. But his skills are declining in CF and there are up and coming players who need to see time at the positions they’ll eventually play for us.

August 1, 2018 at 1:59 pm

I think it’s a given, big daddy, that Jones will have to move to right if he remains with the Orioles.

6. 54orioles

August 1, 2018 at 9:39 am

I agree with AJ, he has earned the right to decide where he plays.

7. Creatively09

August 1, 2018 at 10:12 am

I’m happy that Jones is happy with his decision, though from judging his conversation with reporters yesterday, he didn’t sound very happy in general.

August 1, 2018 at 2:00 pm

It’s a pretty tough time when you’re in a losing environment, Creatively09, and longtime teammates are traded.

8. Devereauxisunderit

August 1, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Ditto on everything above; he has earned his right to choose, he’s a great Oriole on and off the field, etc. But why the hostile answers? What am I missing as a fan to read that AJ sounds like a guy who feels forced to defend himself?

Adam: we want you on the field and in this uniform for the entirety of your career. Don’t you know that?

• general81

August 1, 2018 at 2:04 pm

YES! This is exactly what I wanted to say. I understand he is probably frustrated, but why the hostility? Adam, you the fans love you, but what you said and how you said it leave a wee bit to be desired.

August 1, 2018 at 3:00 pm

general81, I didn’t feel hostility. I felt honesty.

August 1, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Devereaux, I was there, and I didn’t think the answers were hostile. Adam is honest. He says what he thinks. They were expressed well.

• Devereauxisunderit

August 1, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Very good to know. Thanks Rich for providing better context. The quotes alone read horribly poor for anyone who is a fan of his, which is a lot of people. But as you mentioned in a comment above, he has every reason to feel frustrated and need to vent a little these days.

9. jkneps63

August 1, 2018 at 8:13 pm

DFA him, he is selfish and is taking a spot a younger player can earn experience in. We don’t need outfielders blowing bubbles while going after a fly ball and don’t need a selfish batter not willing to take a walk for the team. Seems it is really about Mr. Jones and not about the organization IMO.

• bmoreloud

August 3, 2018 at 9:45 am

It’s not popular but I agree turn the page.

• DiamondJim

August 5, 2018 at 9:21 pm

Jkneps63: Right on! Do not understand how many of the entries here are sympathetic to Jones’ veto of the trade. He will not be part of the O’s future and he will only be taking playing time away from younger players who need to be auditioned in the remaining weeks of the season — unless management just let’s him “ride the pine” for the rest of the season, which is what it should do. And how much more considerate could the Orioles have been of Jones than trying to trade him to a legitimate pennant contender located just a 90 minute car ride from Baltimore? The Orioles are moving on, AJ, and so should you.

10. SpinMaster

August 2, 2018 at 8:18 am

I have commented before regarding Adam and I will repeat it again. Adam Jones is the Orioles “Ray Lewis”. He is a leader on and off the field and you can see that in the way he carries himself on the field. His whole demeanor exemplifies the term “follow me, boys.”