Ex-Oriole report: Looking at the departed 2017 Orioles at the midway point - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Paul Folkemer

Ex-Oriole report: Looking at the departed 2017 Orioles at the midway point

Back in April, I checked in on a slew of players from the 2017 Orioles who have gone elsewhere this year, be it another Major League Baseball organization, another baseball league or nowhere at all.

With the All-Star break marking the midway point of the 2018 season, let’s check in again on those ex-Orioles from last year. Who’s been surging? Who’s been slumping? Who’s been hurt?

All told, 21 of the 50 players who suited up for last year’s Orioles are no longer in the organization. Of course, by the time I do my final ex-Orioles check-in at season’s end, that number will likely have grown to include Manny Machado, Zach Britton, Adam Jones and perhaps others.

Prev1 of 12

1. Stacey

July 18, 2018 at 11:36 am

I can’t say I miss any of these guys, although I might miss Richard Rodriguez if I remembered him.

2. boss61

July 18, 2018 at 4:03 pm

Guys, just please lay them out in an article. Clicking repeatedly is a pain. Why do it that way?

• Steve Cockey

July 18, 2018 at 9:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Boss. If you download our free mobile app (link below), the piece is laid out as a single article without the slides. We don’t do this type of format often, maybe once per month at the most.

Link to download our free mobile app: https://baltimorebaseball.app.link/iFXfmcR3VA

• John in Cincy

July 22, 2018 at 11:00 am

Okay, Steve, this may come as a total surprise, but there are still some of us using a desktop. LOL That being the case, could you also have a “view as one page” option?

3. Mau

July 18, 2018 at 8:21 pm

Add Manny to the list now. They got a nice haul in return it appears. All appear to be nice to very nice prospects.

4. John in Cincy

July 22, 2018 at 10:56 am

Arguably the best season by any ex-Orioles is one you neglected to mention, Paul, and that’s David Hernandez, who’s now with the Reds. He could have made the NL All-Star as a reliever. In 30 games, he’s 3-0, 1.85 ERA, 1.06 WHIP.

He’s one player I hated to see get traded. At the other end of the spectrum is Vance “Vanimal” Worley, who’s struggled to an 0-3, 13.50 ERA, for Las Vegas, the Mets’ Triple-A team. Opposing hitters are pounding him for a .382 Ba.

• John in Cincy

July 22, 2018 at 4:14 pm

My bad. I didn’t notice that the players were limited to those who played for the O’s last season. Nevertheless, some fans might be interested to see that Hernandez is doing well, so not a total loss.