Dylan Bundy said he's healthy - and that's a good thing - but then what's going on with his command? - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Dan Connolly

Dylan Bundy said he’s healthy — and that’s a good thing — but then what’s going on with his command?

It’s one of those questions in which the answer isn’t encouraging either way.

Is Orioles right-hander Dylan Bundy hurt?

He says no.

“Physically, I’m fine,” said Bundy, who allowed an MLB-record four home runs without recording a single out in a 15-7 loss to Kansas City. “I’m just not executing the pitches I need to right now.”

Orioles manager Buck Showalter also says no.

“He feels good physically,” Showalter said. “I don’t think there’s been many people I’ve had (that’s) less of an excuse-maker than Dylan. He never grabs hold of anything other than the mirror in front of him. It’s disappointing for him as much as anything.”

Bundy had been dealing with some groin discomfort previously, but not Tuesday night.

“I had a little groin tightness in California, but it’s been fine and I was able to pitch (Tuesday),” Bundy said. “It really hasn’t been an issue.”

Maybe, Showalter suggested, Bundy could be dealing with a dead arm period, which many pitchers go through in March after they haven’t thrown for a while.

Showalter admitted he initially wondered Tuesday about the health of his 25-year-old righty, who has allowed 22 runs (19 earned) in nine innings over his last three games after yielding just five runs in 31 2/3 innings in his first five starts of 2018.

“Of course. When you see somebody that’s that good. His shoulder feels good. He had a little groin thing some, but he said that’s fine, not an issue. Like a lot of guys, if I told you every little thing that guys got treated (for) before starts, we’d be in here all day,” Showalter said.

“We’re looking at a lot of different things after every game to see if there’s something we need to make an adjustment with. We’ll continue to do that. If I didn’t know better, it’s almost like was going through like a spring training dead arm period,” Showalter added. “But his pure velocity or whatever is very similar. It’s just the finish on the pitches and some of the command of things. He’s usually a guy with really good command.”

So, Bundy isn’t hurt.

And that’s encouraging.

But Bundy’s not hurt.

And that’s a real concern.

His velocity has been pretty steady this year: Low 90s. He hit 92 mph a couple times Tuesday, but mainly threw his fastball at 90-91.

So, what’s up?

“I feel the exact same. My mechanics feel the same. It just seems like I’m missing off the plate, down or up, and then missing right down the middle and they hit it over the fence,” Bundy said. “Just gotta get better and work on it in between starts.”

What does he need to specifically improve on in those side sessions?

“The ball hitting the glove exactly where I want it to is the main thing, and I should be able to do that and I haven’t been able to lately,” he said.

Bundy is a worker. There’s no question he’ll try and figure things out. And maybe he has no finish on his pitches because he is going through a dead-arm period. That would explain the sudden implosion.

And, given Bundy’s previous injury history and current importance to this team, it’s definitely a good thing he says he feels healthy.

But if he’s fine physically that creates other questions.

Because Bundy didn’t just have a bad start Tuesday. He had one of the worst in baseball history.

1. 54orioles

May 9, 2018 at 7:59 am

His effectiveness drops as his days of rest increases. Someone tell Showalter to pay attention to what the stats show.

• Creatively09

May 9, 2018 at 9:25 am

Are you saying he’d be effective if he pitched today?

• 54orioles

May 9, 2018 at 10:17 am

Pay attention to the stats – every fourth day. He gets killed when he has too much rest.
      What are you a wise guy.

May 9, 2018 at 11:43 am

The career stats: Bundy on 4 days rest in 23 starts 12-8, 4.56 ERA. Bundy on 5 days rest: 7-9, 5.09 ERA in 19 starts. Bundy on 6 or more days rest: 3-2, 2.85 ERA in 8 starts.

• Paul Folkemer

May 9, 2018 at 11:55 am

Three of Bundy’s first four starts this year came on five or more days’ rest, including Opening Day. He pitched well in all of them.

With Bundy’s injury history, I think it makes sense to give him extra rest whenever you can. Remember how he really wore down at the end of last season.

• 54orioles

May 9, 2018 at 10:21 pm

Paul has made a good point but at some lint you need to the player. If he feels strong let him go……just a little and see what happens.

2. JParsley

May 9, 2018 at 8:36 am

Just when you think it can’t get any worse. At least we have Manny!

• 54orioles

May 9, 2018 at 10:18 am

That’s a big part of the problem. Could have gotten a lot of help for the future if he was traded late last year

May 9, 2018 at 11:43 am

True. To both comments.

May 9, 2018 at 9:37 am

I don’t have a professional eye for these things, but it’s obvious that he was laying the ball in the heart of the strike zone on those homers. What concerns me is that I haven’t seen the same sharp breaking balls from the kid lately. Maybe his control issues are keeping him from throwing the curves.

May 9, 2018 at 4:46 pm

His slider, which is a swing-and-miss pitch, definitely hasn’t had the same finish either.

4. Baltimos687

May 9, 2018 at 10:04 am

Dan, out of all the embarrassing things the O’s have displayed this season, how has no one been fired? You can’t be 8-27 after a last place finish in 2017 and just do nothing. It’s infuriating. I got annoyed last night and did some research into the Peter Angelos regime…since 93′, the O’s have the fewest amount of winning seasons with the exception of Miami and KC (I didn’t count expansion teams, although Ariz has won a WS and Tampa been to one). Both of Miami and KC have a WS. Therefore, I would say the O’s have been the worst MLB franchise the past 25 years.

May 9, 2018 at 4:47 pm

There have been some brutal years, no doubt.

5. jonniebmore

May 9, 2018 at 10:08 am

Bundy’s hurt. He just doesn’t want to use it as an excuse. No pitcher rips off 5 excellent starts and then completely loses it in the next 3. He’s hurt. Put him on the DL.

May 9, 2018 at 4:48 pm

I think you’d need more than your hunch to put him on the DL.

6. Zoey Dog Says Throw Strikes

May 9, 2018 at 10:23 am

Theres no way he’s healthy. Something is wrong. Anyone who has watched baseball has seen this 100 times before. When someone starts this kind of immediate struggle, injury is the most plausible explanation, and the player’s denial is nothing more than hand waving distraction.

May 9, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Sure. Seen that plenty. Also have seen dead arm plenty. Look st his July last year.

7. Dblack2508

May 9, 2018 at 10:31 am

I happened to be at the game last night, clearly something is off with his push from his legs. I didn’t get one bite of my sandwich in and we are down 2 to 0.

8. Jbigle1

May 9, 2018 at 10:33 am

Perhaps he has been taking pitching advice from his buddy Tillman.

May 9, 2018 at 4:49 pm

They definitely are close friends.

9. JerseyOsFan

May 9, 2018 at 11:55 am

This is where the pitching coach needs to pull Bundy aside and watch him throw his day after a start routine. Maybe have him throw a bit more “with anger” than normal since he didn’t get to throw that much last night. Listen and watch his reactions. If the mechanics are the same, it’s an injury… get him on the 15 Day DL.

May 9, 2018 at 4:50 pm

No 15day DL anymore. And I’m sure he’ll be closely monitored

May 9, 2018 at 12:49 pm

I know I have said the Orioles are in a good position to rebuild, but if Dylan Bundy turns out to be Jake Arrieta 2.0, that is false. The future lies in ruin without his being at least a competent Major League pitcher. Couple that bleak an outlook, the paltry attendance and loss of thee MASN case together and you have a recipe for the Las Vegas, Nashville or Montreal Orioles.

• ubetonit

May 9, 2018 at 3:29 pm

“Montreal Orioles” I have wondered about that distinct possibility & the irony that a local Baltimore owner was at the nexus.

May 9, 2018 at 4:51 pm

Yeah. I don’t see that happening.

• Bancells Moustache

May 9, 2018 at 5:01 pm

Why not?

• ubetonit

May 9, 2018 at 7:21 pm

i agree. Attendance continues spiral down. Angelos family needs to sell for tax reasons. New owner has excuse.

• PA Bird Lover

May 9, 2018 at 8:50 pm

Be serious here please. The O’s will never move out of Baltimore regardless who owns them. The city is one of few strong baseball towns.

• Bancells Moustache

May 9, 2018 at 9:33 pm

I am being serious. And this team couldn’t sell 20,000 seats to a weekend series against Boston with the playoffs on the line two years ago. The fact that the stadium is always 3 quarters empty now has garnered national coverage. This is not a strong baseball town PA, no matter how bad we want it to be.

May 10, 2018 at 11:25 am

Attendance is down in a lot of places and it is particularly noticeable at Camden Yards. Getting people to come into Baltimore is a tough draw for anything these days. And MASN’s presence at every game makes that less necessary. For the fans and ownership. The Orioles are a solvent team. Camden Yards is a jewel. Nothing to see here folks

11. PA Bird Lover

May 9, 2018 at 8:30 pm

Dead arm, that happens.

12. jkneps63

May 9, 2018 at 9:44 pm

Pete, Dan, Buck: Please don’t give Bleier a chance to start, we need that #1 draft pick next year!

May 10, 2018 at 11:26 am

I’d bet money they don’t end up as overall Number 1. Only happened once. I could be wrong but there are plenty of bad teams vying for that spot.

• PA Bird Lover

May 10, 2018 at 8:45 pm

Although any hopes of post season looks off the table our guys have track records and every one of them is a better producer then what’ve seen. Attendance always goes up after school is out.