Chris Davis' MRI on right elbow shows no structural damage; will be out 3 to 5 days - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Dan Connolly

Chris Davis’ MRI on right elbow shows no structural damage; will be out 3 to 5 days

The Orioles received some good news Saturday when MRI results of Chris Davis’ right forearm/elbow showed no structural damage.

He is expected to be out “three to five days” before potentially returning to action, according to manager Buck Showalter. The results qualify as fairly significant relief.

“Any time you’ve got something that’s not healing in what they think (it should be), you worry about if there’s something structurally (wrong) in there,” Showalter said. “But I think he’ll be OK.”

Initially on Saturday, Showalter said Davis was dealing with a “flexor mass” issue and Davis and the club were more concerned now than they were last week when they thought it was simply a muscular ailment, perhaps from sleeping awkwardly.

“He has a little concern about it and we want to make sure we know what we’re dealing with,” Showalter said Saturday before the Orioles’ game against the Philadelphia Phillies.

Davis was supposed to play first base Wednesday against St. Louis, but was switched to designated hitter before the game. He homered that afternoon and said afterward that the soreness only bothered him throwing.

He was the DH again Friday and was hitless in three at-bats.

[ SUBSCRIBE TO OUR PODCASTS HERE: iTunes / Google Play ]

1. OriolesSuperFan79

March 3, 2018 at 1:55 pm

Hey Dan, if this turns out to be worst case scenario and Crush has Tommy John surgery, what would be the plan moving forward? Move Mancini to first and possibly sign Carlos Gonzalez to play in the outfield (he has the bonus of being a left-handed batter)?

March 3, 2018 at 2:57 pm

All depends on money for Cargo — or any remaining OF — I’d imagine. I think it is more likely Trumbo would play a lot of first. That opens DH, which Showalter prefers. But again you are talking worse-case

2. bickel57

March 3, 2018 at 1:56 pm

If this is more serious than a strain I hope they put Mancini back at first. If we are counting on Alvarez or Trumbo holding down 1st base not a good sign. Neither are that nimble with the glove around 1st.

March 3, 2018 at 2:58 pm

I know I’m in the minority here but I think Trumbo would be fine at 1B. It is his best D position.

• geevee3

March 3, 2018 at 9:45 pm

it is his best defensive position, but I remember seeing him in Oakland (when he played for Cali) and saying “oh, now I know why they play Pujols at first, bad as he was, Trumbo is worse at tracking down foul pop ups. Very small sample size, I know, but he was very unimpressive at 1st, especially compared to the cream of the crop.

March 3, 2018 at 2:54 pm

Wally Pipp moment for Mr. Mancini?

March 3, 2018 at 6:39 pm

Not yet. No worries it seems.

4. deqalt

March 3, 2018 at 4:13 pm

Trumbo at 1st would be ideal. His numbers as a position player vs. DH are huge. Orioles need to step up and get CarGo.

March 3, 2018 at 6:39 pm

I think Trumbo would benefit from first base. But Davis, when healthy, is hard to replace at the spot.

• geevee3

March 3, 2018 at 9:48 pm

If he can’t hit as a DH, him being able to hit as a poor fielding 1B doesn’t thrill.

March 3, 2018 at 8:27 pm

Dan … my mother use to always tell me that if I didn’t have …

6. Eldersburg Enigma

March 3, 2018 at 8:55 pm

Davis ought to hit leadoff. He draws walks and gets on base at a decent clip. His home runs leading off the game while the opposing SP tries to establish the strike zone wouldn’t hurt, either.

March 4, 2018 at 1:23 pm

I guess anything is possible. I wouldn’t. But anything is possible.

7. Teejay

March 3, 2018 at 9:54 pm

Hey Dan my apologies however I don’t see a section for general readers comments (I’m sure it’s on this app somewhere but I’m not tech savvy to find it so I’m just going to post a comment in this story…..I’m not really worried about Davis’ elbow).

I just read of Sammy Stewart’s passing and linked in with The Sun’s article was a link to an article you wrote maybe 4 years ago when Sammy was imprisoned in North Carolina. You told Sammy’s story very well and you also published a letter Sammy wrote the fans concerning Mike Flanagan. It was a tough but good read. Sammy had challenges after his baseball career was over and the death of his children I’m sure contributed to that. I’ll always remember Sammy as always having a beaming smile on his face and having a great time when he was at the ballpark.

Just wanted to say thanks for the article!

March 4, 2018 at 1:25 pm

Thanks Tee. I actually linked that piece to today’s blog entry. Was one of the weirder things in my career. A letter from prison from a guy you cheered for as a kid.