SARASOTA—Jordan Westburg isn’t going to play in Friday’s Grapefruit League opener against the New York Yankees, and it isn’t clear when he’s going to play.
Westburg was ruled out of early spring games by president of baseball operations Mike Elias on February 11th because of a right oblique injury. On February 13th, the 27-year-old infielder said he was satisfied with his recovery.
“I feel pretty good now. I’m happy with the way things are progressing,” Westburg said. “Obviously, frustrated and disappointed that I can’t come into spring healthy. Timetable, I’m just trying to take it day-by-day and trust in the athletic training and strength staff’s plan for my rehab. I’m hoping to get back in games. When that is, I can’t really speak to.”
With the first Grapefruit League game a day away, manager Craig Albernaz was unable to provide a more specific update.
“He’s physically unable to participate right now,” Albernaz said on Thursday. “He’s getting evaluated by a medical team and also outside medical people to make sure we have a plan in place and see what’s going on with Jordan, get him going.”
Albernaz also refused to discuss whether it’s just Westburg’s oblique or an elbow injury that’s preventing him from playing.
“Just physically unable to go,” Albernaz said. “I just want to make sure that we do our due diligence and make sure Jordan has the best chance to play this year.”
Westburg was limited to 85 games last year because of hamstring, ankle and finger injuries.
Third base options include Coby Mayo, Blaze Alexander, and Jeremiah Jackson. After focusing on first base for the Orioles in 2025, Mayo has been working out at third early in camp.
Former Oriole Ramón Urías remains a free agent. Mike Elias said last week that an outside acquisition in the infield is possible.
Call for questions: I answer Orioles questions most weekdays. Please send yours to: [email protected].
