Orioles recall Vespi from Norfolk, option Zimmermann; Irvin to start Saturday - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Orioles

Orioles recall Vespi from Norfolk, option Zimmermann; Irvin to start Saturday

Photo Credit: Brent Skeen USA TODAY Sports

The Orioles recalled left-hander Nick Vespi from Triple-A Norfolk and optioned Bruce Zimmermann to Norfolk on Friday.

Vespi, who was recalled briefly by the Orioles last month and returned to Norfolk without pitching, was 2-0 with a 1.77 ERA and seven saves for the Tides.

“With 13 pitchers, your bullpen is always in flux,” manager Brandon Hyde said. “Optioning guys that have options is part of the game now, so it’s always a night-to-night situation. Nick’s earned a promotion. He pitched well in Triple-A last year. We bounced him back, also. He did a nice job when he was here … We don’t have a  ton of bullpen guys that have options. He does as well as some others.

“You want to appreciate these guys coming up and contributing, even Zimmermann what he did for us, really picked up our ‘pen. It gave us an opportunity … People doing their jobs and getting through innings. That’s really, really helpful in the long run.”

Zimmermann allowed four runs on eight hits in five innings in two appearances for a 7.20 ERA.

Irvin gets Saturday start: Hyde said he’s excited to see Cole Irvin get a start on Saturday. A move will be necessary to add him

“He’s throwing the ball well in Norfolk,” Hyde said. “I’m looking forward to watching him start.”

Irvin is happy to be back.

“I’m ready, I’m prepared,” Irvin said. “I fixed some things that I wanted to fix, eliminated some walks, doing my job and put in a good effort to get a win for this ballclub.”

Irvin, who was wild in his first stint with the Orioles, has demonstrated excellent command with Norfolk.

“It was getting back to my strong suit, throwing my sinker, my changeup, which I wasn’t doing much of while I was here,” Irvin said. “Part of my job is to continue to keep working, no matter what level I’m at. That’s the expectation, when your number is called to be ready and take the ball and be ready to go.”

Santander’s 0-for-25 that wasn’t: When outfielder Anthony Santander doubled in the eighth inning in Milwaukee on Thursday, he appeared to break an 0-for-25 slump, but on Friday Major League Baseball announced that Santander was credited with a single in the ninth inning of the Orioles’ game in San Francisco on Sunday.

That change means he broke an 0-for-14 slump, then was hitless in 10 at-bats before the double.

Mountcastle ill: First baseman Ryan Mountcastle is out because of illness, Hyde said.

“He tried to play through it yesterday,” Hyde said. “I can tell he wasn’t feeling well, and he tried to battle through it. He’s still feeling sick today, so I decided to give him a day.”

Rutschman stays in the second spot: With centerfielder Cedric Mullins on the 10-day injured list because of a a strainedright groin, Hyde said he doesn’t plan on to use catcher Adley Rutschman, who has a .399 on-base percentage, in the leadoff spot.

“I considered it, but I haven’t done it,” Hyde said. “With Ced here against righties, that was pretty much a guarantee. With Hays, the way he’s swinging the bat against lefties, I like Rutschman hitting 2.”

RAVENS NEWS from BaltimoreSports.com

To Top