May 13, 2022; Detroit, Michigan, USA; Baltimore Orioles manager Brandon Hyde (18) looks on before the game against the Detroit Tigers at Comerica Park. Mandatory Credit: Raj Mehta-USA TODAY Sports
NEW YORK—The Orioles are playing a day/night doubleheader at Boston’s Fenway Park on Saturday, and Orioles manager Brandon Hyde is trying to figure out his starting rotation for the unusual five-game series.
The Saturday doubleheader was scheduled to help make up the three games scheduled at Fenway Park from April 4th-6th. That series was postponed because of the Major League Baseball lockout.
The Orioles will get a 27th man for the doubleheader, and Hyde said it was “definitely probable or possible” that one of the starters will be recalled from Triple-A Norfolk.
Norfolk’s scheduled game against Gwinnett was rained out on Wednesday, and two of the three starters with the Tides who are on the 40-man roster, DL Hall and Zac Lowther, are scheduled to pitch on Thursday.
The other starter on the 40-man is Denyi Reyes, who was with the Orioles for a few days earlier this month. Reyes pitched two perfect innings in Detroit on May 13th.
In order to make up the other two games, the Orioles will have an even more unusual one-day stop in Boston on August 11th on their way to a three-game series in Tampa Bay, and will play on September 26th, the first of a four-game series.
The Orioles will be off on Thursday after playing each day since consecutive rainouts on May 6th and 7th. That necessitated a doubleheader on May 8th and a makeup game on May 9th.
“Everybody’s ready for an offday,” Hyde said.
Vallimont claimed: The Orioles claimed right-handed pitcher Chris Vallimont on waivers from the Minnesota Twins. Vallimont, a 25 was-year-old from Erie, Pennsylvania, went to Mercyhurst College. Former Orioles outfielder David Lough also went there.
Vallimont was 0-2 with a 9.95 ERA in seven games, six starts. for Double-A Wichita. To make room for Vallimont on the 40-man roster, left-hander Alexander Wells was transferred from the 10-day to the 60-day injured list. Wells has left elbow inflammation.
Orioles on AppleTV+ on Friday: The Orioles-Red Sox game on Friday night will be shown exclusively on AppleTV+. It will not be shown on MASN. Orioles broadcaster Melanie Newman will call the game along with Cliff Floyd and Hannah Keyser.
BALTIMORE—The Orioles activated Samuel Basallo from the 10-day injured list for Wednesday night’s game against…
BALTIMORE—For the 11th straight start, Shane Baz wasn’t the winning pitcher. He’s delivered eight quality…
The longtime American League umpire had me laughing when I asked him about arguing with…
BALTIMORE—Catcher Samuel Basallo, who’s on the 10-day injured list with right shoulder inflammation, will play…
When Trey Mancini played for the Orioles, he was one of the most popular players…
For the fifth time since June 5th, the Orioles were just two games below .500,…