Report: Orioles to change left-field dimensions at Camden Yards - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Report: Orioles to change left-field dimensions at Camden Yards

The Orioles have begun construction to move the left-field wall back about 30 feet and increase its height from 7 feet to 12 feet, according to a report by The Baltimore Sun,

Oriole Park at Camden Yards, which opened in 1992, has always been considered a hitter’s park. In 2021, 277 home runs were hit there, the most in baseball.

The distance to left field has been 333 feet, and 364 to left-center.

Construction should be complete by Opening Day, March 31st.

Call for questions: I’ll be answering questions later this week. Please leave them in the comment box below or email them to: [email protected]

1. Greazy Tony

January 11, 2022 at 8:22 pm

I’m sad that it’ll mean the end for the Orange seat in section 86 and the seats that were my season tickets but happy that it should give some relief to the team ERA.

2. Icterus fan

January 11, 2022 at 8:23 pm

Wow. I’m impressed and see this as a positive step. What does this portend?
    Is this the first of more future improvements to come for our 30 year old ballpark? Merely a token move to placate a few easily led fans, or an indication of some systemic change?
    Haters gonna hate, but this is surely not an arbitrary decision.

3. Birdman

January 11, 2022 at 9:36 pm

Rich, the changes to left field sound like a fairly expensive project. Do we know whether that cost is being covered by the Orioles, or whether the Stadium Authority is paying part, or all, of the bill?

4. Buzz1979

January 11, 2022 at 11:17 pm

“Don’t you understand, it’s not my problem?” B Dylan!

5. PC in OC

January 11, 2022 at 11:19 pm

Who cares, about whose paying to move, left field, back 30 feet or raise the height of the wall. Let’s be great full, that it is being done. Maybe now, We can get some really GOOD PITCHERS,Who REALLY, Want to come to Baltimore. Rich, What is the average distance, to Left Field, Center Field and to Right Field.

January 12, 2022 at 10:28 am

Orioles don’t have an exact measurement for left and left-center yet. They were 333 to left and 364 to left-center. Center is 400, right-center is 373 and right is 318.

January 11, 2022 at 11:38 pm

And I though his Cat was joking ……

Hallelujah! We’ve been asking for this for years. A real major league baseball field!

Does anybody know if this move was Mike Elias driven?

January 12, 2022 at 7:59 am

• OriolesNumber1Fan

January 12, 2022 at 3:33 pm

Awesome news – Rich!!! The construction for the changes has already begun and should know soon on if power alley will go from 364′ to 394′ plus the fence to be 12′ high now!!! I stated before this would not be a really hard move to make also!!

January 12, 2022 at 7:53 pm

Once again on my thread. Wanna-be all the way.

• CalsPals

January 13, 2022 at 7:00 am

Wrong table…lol…go O’s…

7. dlgruber1

January 12, 2022 at 1:16 am

I have mixed emotions. For today’s hitters 364 to left center was a joke so I’m glad they moved the fences back, however, I still wished they’d kept the 7ft height as I’ve always thought one of the most exciting plays in all of sports was a catch robbing someone of a HR.
    I’m assuming also that since there’s nothing nowadays that can’t be looked up that ME and Sig thoroughly studied where every HR hit by the O’s and their opponents to LF landed and determined that these new dimensions will benefit the O’s. Rich, do you know what that will drop the seating capacity to?

• CalsPals

January 12, 2022 at 6:37 am

What OPACY will hold now or how many fans will be there?…lol…go O’s…

January 12, 2022 at 10:29 am

Dave, Orioles haven’t announced seating capacity for 2022.

• BarstoolSleeper

January 12, 2022 at 12:15 pm

DL I could be wrong but I assume that they have to raise the fence 5 feet when they take the seats out due to the way the stadium is built and stands are angled. Otherwise you’d have the fans sitting at 12’ above the field and the wall 5’ below them with an awkward gap in between. Rich, will the higher fence lead to more obstructed view seats?

January 12, 2022 at 2:54 pm

Dave, I don’t know. They haven’t announced specific plans.

8. musicmanjr

January 12, 2022 at 8:55 am

Finally, the Orioles are changing the dimensions at Camden Yards. Right now, it’s the most hitter-friendly field in the American League.
    With the higher left field fence and deeper power alleys, maybe a decent “fly-ball” veteran pitcher might consider a trade to the O’s.

9. Zoey Dog Says Throw Strikes

January 12, 2022 at 9:10 am

Finally! I’ve been wanting to see this for years now. Too many lazy fly balls turn into homers out there. Hopefully we see some additional action on the field in the form of more doubles/triples too.

I’m sure the pitching staff welcomes the change too. I’d love to have a peak at the data they collected and analyzed to make the decision.

10. PC in OC

January 12, 2022 at 11:04 am

Rich, What I meant was, Do you know the average distance to Left, center and right field, in all of the other stadiums. I just wanted to compare them , to ours. Thanks

January 12, 2022 at 11:25 am

The distance to left-center was one of the lowest in the majors, and about average to left and center. The distance to right is one of the lower ones.

• Icterus fan

January 12, 2022 at 11:25 am

PC,
      Look up SI.com and search for an article entitled “MLB Outfield Walls, Ranked”
      It’s by Dan Gartland.
      Sorry; couldn’t figure out how to paste the web link.
      It’s one source for the type of info you’re looking for.

• Icterus fan

January 12, 2022 at 2:06 pm

Thanks Boog.
      Yeah, I’m at work – using my phone in the field, so was fumbling around. I’m less than technologically astute.
      Thanks for posting the link. Good info.

• dlgruber1

January 12, 2022 at 6:30 pm

I’m certain I’m the most techno inept person around. I ask my wife to help me and invariably she ends up saying “use the OTHER right click.”

11. 33d St

January 12, 2022 at 11:06 pm

This puts more of a premium on OF range. So no more DJ or Mountcastle in LF. Maybe we can even dream of developing well-rounded line drive hitters who spray the ball to the gaps and don’t strike out 150 times a year!

12. willmiranda

January 13, 2022 at 10:32 am

ME keeps the masses distracted and amused by changing the shape of the ball park rather than the quality of the lineup. Now-you-see-it, now-you-don’t. The beat goes on. i remember a ballpark in Brooklyn that was derided as a “bandbox,” yet good players found a way to win there. But that was before the WAR.