Scott allows 2 runs in 9th as Orioles lose to Rays, 5-4; Alexander Wells pitches well in 1st start - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Alexander Wells got an unexpected start, and nearly got a win. However, reliever Tanner Scott allowed a two-out, two-strike single to Austin Meadows that scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth to give the Tampa Bay Rays a 5-4 walkoff win against the Orioles on Wednesday at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida.

With a 4-3 lead in the ninth, Scott (3-4) allowed a leadoff single to Francisco Mejia and struck out Joey Wendle. Mike Zunino walked, and Randy Arozarena lifted a pop to short right field. First baseman Ryan Mountcastle and second baseman Pat Valaika chased it, collided, and the ball fell for a single to load the bases.

“I called it pretty late there,” Mountcastle said. “I didn’t know Pat was over there. Here at the Trop, you can’t really put your head down and run. You’ve got to stare at the ball the whole time so you don’t lose it. I think we were both doing that. It was sort of a tough play for both of us and, unfortunately, collided a little bit and let it fall. It’s a tough play, I think.”

Vidal Bruján struck out, and Meadows singled to center to score Mejia and pinch-runner Kevin Kiermaier for the win.

“Tanner’s been throwing the ball great,” manager Brandon Hyde said. “That was my first time putting him in the ninth inning in that kind of situation. [Tyler Wells] was down today, so Tanner was going to close that game if it was a save situation. We were one strike away. Give Meadows credit for putting the ball in play with two strikes against a left-handed pitcher. That one hurts.”

Collin McHugh (3-1) pitched two scoreless innings for the win for Tampa Bay (57-39).

After winning two of three at Kansas City, the Orioles (31-64) lost two of three in Tampa Bay.

“We’re putting guys in spots they really haven’t been in,” Hyde said. “We don’t have high-end, back-of-the-bullpen guys.”

Before the game, the Orioles announced that scheduled starter Keegan Akin had been placed on the Covid-19 injured list — along with rightfielder Anthony Santander. That forced the Orioles to change their plans.

Wells found out about the start in a phone call at 11:30 on Tuesday night from pitching coach Chris Holt. He called his family back in Australia, who set their alarms for 2 a.m. Thursday morning to watch the game.

“I tried to get some sleep last night,” Wells said. “I’m glad it was a day game because I didn’t have much time to think about anything and just get out there and get going.”

The Orioles took a 1-0 lead in the first. Cedric Mullins led off with a double and scored on a double by Austin Hays.

Arozarena hit Wells’ second pitch for his 12th home run leading off the bottom of the first to tie it. Wendle had an RBI triple in the second gave Tampa Bay a 2-1 lead.

Valaika homered against Michael Wacha in the third. It was his second home run and his first since May 5th when he homered during John Means’ no-hitter.

Mountcastle homered in the fourth, his first since June 28 and his 15th of the season to give the Orioles a 3-2 lead.

Arozarena hit his 13th homer in the bottom of the fifth to tie it, 3-3. Arozarena has seven homers, 17 RBIs and is 17-for-37 (.459) against the Orioles in eight games this season.

Mountcastle’s RBI single against Matt Wisler scored Trey Mancini in the top of the sixth to put the Orioles back on top, 4-3.

Wells was removed after he struck out Brandon Lowe and retired Ji-Man Choi on a liner to left for the first two outs in the sixth.

“He really competed,” Hyde said. “Doesn’t have the fastball that he’s going to blow by people or the plus-plus stuff. He does compete with what he has and did a nice job commanding the baseball after the second inning.”

Wells allowed three runs on seven hits in 5 2/3 innings, striking out seven and walking two.

“Third inning onwards, I felt a lot better,” Wells said. “Instead of trying to nibble around the plate, I went out there and attacked the zone, like I normally do. Knowing that my stuff can play here gives me confidence going into my next appearance.”

Cole Sulser struck out Mejia to end the sixth. He allowed a one-out triple to Brett Phillips in the seventh and was replaced by Dillon Tate, who struck out Arozarena and retired Bruján on a grounder to third.

Notes: After a day off on Thursday, the Orioles play the Washington Nationals at home his weekend. Jorge López (2-12, 6.04 ERA) will start on Friday night. Spenser Watkins (2-0, 1.65) will start on Saturday, with the game scheduled at 6:35 p.m. The Orioles haven’t named their starter for Sunday. The first 15,000 fans 15 and over will receive an Orioles vintage T-shirt on Friday, and a Jim Palmer bobblehead will be handed out to the first 20,000 fans 16 and over on Saturday. … Konner Wade (2-1) allowed a run on four hits in six innings as Triple-A Norfolk beat Gwinnett, 2-1, in the first game of a doubleheader. Designated hitter J.C. Escarra hit his third home run.

1. CalsPals

July 21, 2021 at 4:18 pm

It is what it is, the O’s don’t have anyone dominant to through only in save situations, Tanner may be the closest, just don’t think he has the mentality to close, at least they were in the game…go O’s…

• CalsPals

July 21, 2021 at 4:18 pm

Good lord, spellcheck, throw…go O’s…

July 21, 2021 at 8:09 pm

Is you’re Schpelcheck out of sink two?

• CalsPals

July 21, 2021 at 8:14 pm

Yes it iz, itz the worste, sew sorry…go O’s…

July 22, 2021 at 9:22 am

“Patients” my friend … (see below)

• Icterus fan

July 22, 2021 at 6:33 am

To write or to speak is to miscommunicate
      🙂

• CalsPals

July 22, 2021 at 1:21 pm

Hysterical Boog…perfect timing…go O’s…

2. foodman

July 21, 2021 at 4:23 pm

When Hyder brought Wells (Tyler) in the game that was 6-1 the other night, I questioned why. That was, I believe, his third consecutive appearance at the time. I thought, uh-oh….hope he doesn’t need him for a real save situation. BINGO!!! O, well. What’s another frustrating defeat for this poor bunch? I felt badly for the players because, although Tanner Scott is good, he is somewhat inconsistent with his control. I know he only walked one, but that one was the winning run. How often do those walks come back to haunt the O’s? Never mind. Don’t answer that. Bring on the NATS.

3. Icterus fan

July 21, 2021 at 4:24 pm

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory always stings.
    A bloop in a tight spot that shoulda been caught, and we’re in the loss column – speechless.
    Time for a day off.

July 21, 2021 at 8:13 pm

Or in our case, it’s time for about 3 to 6 years off.

But hey, it’s a process.

4. dlgruber1

July 21, 2021 at 4:26 pm

I’m not gonna trash anybody about this loss. Sometimes you just gotta tip your hat to your opponent. It’s not as if Scott pitched poorly. The fluke jam shot by Arozarena was the key blow. I thought Wells looked good and absolutely deserves another start. It was just good seeing a game as day games are my only chance to watch a game live. Obviously I was hoping for a better outcome but I thought the effort was good across the board. My other takeaway from the game is that Wynns showed once again that catchers are just a different breed of player. Another half inch farther back on that backswing by Arozarena and I think he’d have ended up in the hospital. Instead he’s like “put some mud on it and let’s get going.”

5. Buzz1979

July 21, 2021 at 4:53 pm

Fringe journeyman Meadows at that!

6. Nellie

July 21, 2021 at 4:54 pm

Really glad to see that there is no piling on ….yet. This obviously had to hurt. What a fun time it could have been flying home for the boys with a day off coming up.

While the talent is limited, they seem to be communicating and rooting hard for each other. Hopefully it will begin to come together sooner rather than later. We all know that you find out a lot about people on the way they handle adversity.

7. Icterus fan

July 21, 2021 at 5:44 pm

I think there’s definitely some positives! Losing sucks, but they are trying and it’s apparent that they can be competitive. We have talent to build on.
    But admittedly it is hard not to be cynical; expecting and anticipating losses after all this bludgeoning.

8. Buzz1979

July 21, 2021 at 6:40 pm

Wells did much better than the Keegonater would have!

9. OriolesNumber1Fan

July 21, 2021 at 7:56 pm

Yeah, this was a tough loss but they battled and competed against a team fighting for first place with Boston! You would of thought these teams were battling for a playoff spot or first place if you didn’t look at the standings!!!
    I saw the possibility of another starting pitcher with Alexander Wells who didn’t have much time to prepare for the Rays and their lineup. Usually the starting pitcher will have 5 days to prepare and go over the lineup he will be facing. So, getting called up at 11:30 pm to make his first start the next day and also be a day game had to be tough on Wells trying to fall asleep!!! More so then he lead on. Especially after he had contacted his family and girlfriend back home in Australia!
    So yeah it was a tough loss, but they’ll bounce back.

• dlgruber1

July 21, 2021 at 8:58 pm

OriolesNumber1Fan, that’s funny you say that about getting the call at 11:30 the night before a day game. I was thinking g the exact same thing. In fact, I had to re-read it to make sure I read it correctly. Nothing like giving him pre game jitters. Through all that he performed very admirably. I am trying my best not to get too excited about Watkins and now Wells gave me some hope. Maybe, just maybe, through all these trials and tribulations they’ll find some answers for the starting pitching.

• OriolesNumber1Fan

July 22, 2021 at 7:18 am

Yeah, but with no fault to the Orioles. Covid19 strikes its ugly head again. But once Mike Baumann, D.L. Hall and Grayson Rodriguez and maybe some others start pounding on the proverbial door, they should really start getting good again. I know they have signed a kid from D.R. that was throwing 95 plus and showing some early signs of being really good also!
        Then you add in the next wave of overseas signings and next years draft maybe at number 2 and you’ll have the number 1 farm team ranking with some more really good players. Then things will start looking up as far as the standings go. Patients my friend, things are looking up and will be here before you know it!

10. Buzz1979

July 21, 2021 at 9:41 pm

Getting the call, like on Manifest?!

11. dlgruber1

July 21, 2021 at 11:16 pm

Adley Rutschman has 2 homers, a double, a walk and 7 RBIs tonight as the @BowieBaysox are cruising to a double-digit win.

Adley’s OPS is now .904.

I’m glad the O’s are so deep at catching that they don’t need him now. I’m sorry, I just can’t help myself sometimes.

• CalsPals

July 22, 2021 at 6:52 am

Nice:)….get ready DL:)….go O’s…

• Bhoffman1

July 22, 2021 at 7:59 am

Yes deep in you know what . It smells terrible

• Tileman

July 22, 2021 at 9:00 am

Call him up what more does he have to prove

• CalsPals

July 22, 2021 at 1:22 pm

Nothing…go O’s…

12. Balt mp

July 22, 2021 at 7:21 am

This typifies what I and others have said fir awhile . First the defense is really bad at 2nd and 3rd any mlb regular 2b baseman makes that play Valika is a utility guy good enough to fill in for a day but not a regular . Secondly it effects your staff’s numbers and also how you judge what you have .
    Lastly good to see them give Alex a chance another pitcher not a thrower once the nerves go away you might be surprised at what you have . He might benefit by doing the John Means throwing program where he picked up 1-2 mph .

13. Bhoffman1

July 22, 2021 at 7:57 am

With two strikes and if I remember no
    balls after Meadows had a few good swings why did Scott just groove a fastball over the plate. I knew we were going to lose he looks like a thrower not a pitcher to me . Definitely not a closer

14. NormOs

July 22, 2021 at 9:51 am

Since there is no bullpen, there certainly is no closer. Lopez easily saves this game. Hyde (or probably Elias), do everybody a favor and make Lopez the Closer unless you are really TANKING for the 1st draft choice because in my “few” years of watching MLB I truly have never seen a team that purposely puts 4 to 5 minor league players in the lineup every game. At least bring up the kids. This country will never run out of kids playing baseball. So if these don’t work out, the O’s have oh, maybe, MILLIONS of kids out there who can play this game. The O’s have a multitude of players that they would trade but those people came here via “the waiver wire” so they have NO trade value. Oh, by the way, I wouldn’t object if the Astros wanted Elias back, in fact I’d help him pack. End of rant!