Wade LeBlanc requests, and receives, his release from Orioles - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Spring Training

Wade LeBlanc requests, and receives, his release from Orioles

Left-handed pitcher Wade LeBlanc has opted out of his Orioles minor league contract and was granted his release on Thursday. He’s now a free agent.

LeBlanc, who signed a minor league contract with the Orioles on February 3rd, was seeking to make the Orioles for the second season in a row.

The 36-year-old, who was the oldest Oriole in spring training, had allowed two earned runs on three hits in eight innings in three Grapefruit League games. LeBlanc walked five and struck out seven.

LeBlanc, who made the team after signing a minor league contract last season, went 1-0 with an 8.06 ERA in six starts before fracturing his elbow after throwing just 13 pitches on August 23rd.

Last month, the Orioles signed veterans LeBlanc, Matt Harvey and Félix Hernandez to minor league contracts. Harvey was added to the roster on Thursday. Hernández, who was been slowed by right elbow discomfort, might not be ready to begin the season.

1. eddierockguy

March 25, 2021 at 4:38 pm

wish wade all the best of luck ..hope he can find another team ..being a lefty helps

2. Icterus fan

March 25, 2021 at 5:17 pm

I wonder if this was his own decision, or “self improvement” wrought by the O’s? I guess we’ll see where/if he pops up on another team

3. Bman

March 25, 2021 at 6:00 pm

He was a long shot to make the team this year.

4. BrooksPJs

March 25, 2021 at 6:18 pm

Bring Wade back! Akins is looking shaking this spring…

March 25, 2021 at 7:12 pm

I’d P.O.’ed too if I had put up those numbers compared to what Matt Harvey has managed in camp. But who get’s put on the 40?

One more example of “spring training doesn’t mean spit” … in the house of Elias. Tell us again Mikey how having these in-house competitions benefits everyone. Better yet, tell it to Mr. LeBlanc.

• Rc2001

March 25, 2021 at 7:26 pm

Oh no, what are the O’s going to do without 36 year old injury prone Wade LeBlanc? In my opinion Harvey has more trade value being younger and showing flashes of his old self

March 25, 2021 at 8:27 pm

Showing flashes of his old self? Bwaahaahaaahahaaa…. Are you referring to that stellar 5.4 ERA? Oh … you must be talking about that 4 inning gem vs. the Yankees AA ball team last Saturday night. Big deal.

Please…he’s washed up and will be off the team before June is over. Earlier if we get offered a bag of chips in trade.

And I wasn’t crying about LeBlanc … I was simply bemoaning the fact that merit is ignored by the boy genius. LeBlanc has outperformed Harvey by a good bit this spring and deserved to put on the 40 way more than Harvey. I’d be P.O.’ed as well.

• BrooksPJs

March 25, 2021 at 10:05 pm

BRR-Bellyaching, Railing, and Reviling! You are permanently PO’d!

Spring training stats means very little unless you feel the need to criticize everything Elias does to the nth degree, then you can make a 36 year olds 8 innings worth of stats into a mountain of evidence to convict a GM you dislike of a crime of your choosing

March 25, 2021 at 11:47 pm

So Pajama boy … are you saying that LeBlanc shouldn’t be upset with losing out to another pitcher who has stunk it up in camp while he acquitted himself quite well?

And I’ll stop criticizing our GM when he actually starts trying to win a few games instead of intentionally throwing entire seasons.

• CalsPals

March 25, 2021 at 7:27 pm

Akins pretty much signing his ticket down with his effort tonight…Elias hasn’t shown yet what you do on spring training really means anything…go O’s…

• Shamus

March 25, 2021 at 8:28 pm

Are you president of the Wade LeBlanc fan club?

March 26, 2021 at 8:41 am

If you’re asking me …no I’m not.

• Rc2001

March 25, 2021 at 8:37 pm

Id rather take Harvey who it actively trying to improve than 36 year old LeBlanc who got blown up by major league hitting across 6 starts then hurt last year.

March 26, 2021 at 8:46 am

I’m not advocating LeBlanc…I’m just saying that he outperformed Harvey this spring..and I’d be asking from my release if I were him as well. What happened to Elias “open competitions” he speaks so freely of?

• BrooksPJs

March 25, 2021 at 10:04 pm

BRR-Bellyaching, Railing, and Reviling! You are permanently PO’d!

• Eastern Sho Joe

March 25, 2021 at 10:52 pm

BRR, thanks for reassuring me that I’m not missing out on any insightful discussions by not reading the comments on this site.

I decided to load the comment section tonight, and behold, I see the same dribble and asinine comments from you.

Letting Leblanc go, or even if it was Harvey, is no big loss either way and if you made an unsubstantiated comment like this on almost any other baseball site the commentators would swarm you with stats, comparisons and legitimate insults. It’s been done here but you either ignore it or can’t understand how wrong you are.

I remember you bashing Elias when Cashner was traded, how are his numbers this spring? Oh that’s right, he has none because no team wants him. You bash Elias but praise DD. DD is so good that he doing youth camps. lol.

We get it, you don’t like the ‘boy genius’ and I don’t agree with everything, but I would feel pretty pathetic if I disliked a team’s management as you do with the Os, and I still commented everyday stating it. Here’s a suggestion, find another pastime until Elias is gone. Your steady bashing is played out.

It’s sad because I’ve seen a lot people who are very knowledgeable comment on this site and after a few discussions with you or a few other haters here they’re gone. We could be learning from each other, but people who have a lot to offer won’t get involved with these ridiculous discussions.

March 26, 2021 at 12:03 am

You again? Read what I write son. I never stated losing LeBlanc was a big loss. That’s the problem … people really don’t read that closely what is written.

If my steady bashing is so played out, why are you so upset, and why are you back?

• Eastern Sho Joe

March 26, 2021 at 1:00 am

I answered these questions in my comment above.

March 26, 2021 at 8:45 am

You didn’t specify anything. Just attacked me.
            Can you actually tell me who we got for Cashner and where they are?
            Give me one example of what I’m so wrong about and provide those numbers you referenced.
            Geeze son…you promised to disappear from this site a few weeks ago…we’re not smart enough for you etc etc …why are you back?

• Hallbe62

March 30, 2021 at 11:20 am

You are a CLOWN Ken ! John Powell would probably slap you across your mug for dishonoring his good name. Brooks & Frank would join right in.

You act as if you are the supreme Orioles fan on Planet Earth. Whoever informed you that Orioles Baseball starts and ends with you Kenny boy……..LIED TO YOU.

Now do the rest of us a solid here and just disappear already.

Yoy grossly opinionated MORON !!

• Hallbe62

March 30, 2021 at 11:26 am

*You

March 26, 2021 at 11:41 am

Dribble? Do you mean “drivel”?

• CalsPals

March 26, 2021 at 7:19 am

I liked it better when ESJ wasn’t here, hasn’t he said multiple times “this is my last post”, also think it’s funny how bold PJ’s is after a few posts, nothing like breaking in a newby…LMAO…go O’s…

• Eastern Sho Joe

March 26, 2021 at 8:22 am

Of course you like iit better, bullies don’t like getting stood up to.

Oh, and I did write once that I wasn’t going to post here anymore. I’m just stopping by to see if the trash is still here. Sadly, it is.

March 26, 2021 at 10:27 am

He’s harmless. He writes well. But never really backs up what he says. Just likes to trash the Elias critics.

• CalsPals

March 26, 2021 at 8:37 am

Lol, now it is…go O’s…

6. Camden82

March 25, 2021 at 7:54 pm

LeBlanc should have started over Akin. Akin is garbage. What does the analytics department see with this kid? Akin can’t possibly be on the major league squad, if this team has any expectation of competing this year.

7. dlgruber1

March 25, 2021 at 8:45 pm

Anyone else notice that Bundy AND Gausman have been named their respective teams starters for Opening Day? I know the O’s received a bunch of prospects for Bundy but I honestly can’t remember what they got for Gausman. Anyone out there to refresh my memory I’d appreciate it.

• Icterus fan

March 25, 2021 at 9:30 pm

Boy, the vibrant positivity is overwhelming tonight!

• BrooksPJs

March 25, 2021 at 9:54 pm

Go to baseball reference, find Gausman’s page, click on transactions…

March 25, 2021 at 10:03 pm

Dave, they received Bruce Zimmermann, Evan Phillips, Matt Cumberland and JC Encarnacion.

• BrooksPJs

March 25, 2021 at 10:06 pm

And the Orioles trade Darren O’Day to the Braves along with Gausman

• dlgruber1

March 26, 2021 at 4:57 am

As I stated last week, one thing I love about this site is the varying viewpoints. Agree or disagree I know we’re all hoping for the same thing, O’s success. If by simply stating Bundy and Gausman are their respective teams starters is somehow perceived as negativity well, that wasn’t the intention. I’m happy for both of them, I just couldn’t remember what they got in return for Gausman. BTW Rich, thank you for answering that. Heck, Zimmerman alone might make that a good deal. So, in closing, whether I agree it disagree I’ll respect everyone’s opinions. I hope it’s not asking too much for the same in return. I’m still a relative newbie to the site but I plan on staying a while.

• CalsPals

March 26, 2021 at 7:20 am

Stat boy is getting all pissy…lol…go O’s…

March 26, 2021 at 8:47 am

Got ’em all riled of this stupid little post ‘eh?

8. geevee3

March 26, 2021 at 12:33 am

Rich, I love reading your stories consistently, I visit several times a day to make sure I haven’t missed anything. Thank you so much.
    That said, I am very tempted to stop reading the comments. I enjoy most of them, and there was a time when I enjoyed all of them, but it seems lately that the excess of negativism presented constantly by BRR and echoed by one or two others on occasion is annoying, trite and childish.
    I don’t say this because I disagree with the points being made or feel that there is no value in discussing the particular perspectives, but because it is no fun to read someone’s writing when they have characterized themselves into an ill-willed tone of voice and have no other.
    Sorry. It just got to the point where I had to say something.
    Thanks again and keep up the good work. I do look forward to it!

• CalsPals

March 26, 2021 at 7:22 am

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I like some, not others, it’s entertaining, if it bothers you then don’t read them…go O’s…

• CalsPals

March 26, 2021 at 8:39 am

One positive thing I noticed about Mikey was since his hair started going gray he hasn’t dyed it…go O’s…

March 26, 2021 at 11:05 am

One positive thing about Mikey is that he HAS hair. He’s also smart. He knows exactly what he’s doing. No doubt.

• VICTORTEE

March 26, 2021 at 8:56 am

Please tell us all the positives moves the Boy Genius has made.

March 26, 2021 at 12:24 pm

I have indeed been accused of being childish before on more than one occasion. But trite? I’m going to have look that on up.

• WorldlyView

March 26, 2021 at 4:14 pm

“on”? Do you mean “one”?

March 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm

You’re quick. Yes I meant one.

9. Tileman

March 26, 2021 at 9:00 am

I’m a relative newbie and like the comments good and bad. I come for Rich’s insights and look at the comments as entertainment.
    BRR and his posse do come up with some good one liners, we have others that post great stats.
    Keep it coming can’t wait for opening day.

• CalsPals

March 26, 2021 at 8:43 am

Love that post Tile…go O’s…

10. geevee3

March 26, 2021 at 10:56 am

My point wasn’t that they were wrong or not entitled to their opinion, just that their takes are tedious, repetitive and predictable and do not move the conversation forward. Interesting that someone would use the “entitled to opinion” line in an attempt to forestall criticism, but I knew exactly who would do it. Not reading is an option, but not after the fact, I was describing my reaction to having read them and did not suggest they cease writing.
    Sorry if this went off the tracks Rich, that wasn’t my intention.