While we wait for Orioles news, here’s a challenging 30-question quiz. The answers will be published on Tuesday. Good luck!
In the win and loss column
1. How many times has an Orioles pitcher won 20 or more games in a season?
2. Which of the following Oriole pitchers never won 20 games in a season?
A) Wayne Garland
B) Wally Bunker
C) Mike Torrez
D) Steve Barber
3. Which of these Oriole pitchers have won 19 games more than once in a season?
A) Mike Mussina
B) Jim Palmer
C) Mike Flanagan
D) Scott McGregor
4. The Orioles have had only one pitcher who lost 20 or more games in a season. Name him.
5. From 2006-2011, four different Orioles led the American League in losses. Name two.
6. Brandon Hyde had a four-year minor league playing career. In which organization did he play?
C) White Sox
7. Oriole pitchers were 1-for-15 at the plate last season. Who got the hit?
8. Of the 50 Orioles still in camp, one has a World Series ring. Who is it? h/t @JoeTrezz
9. Only two of the 50 Orioles still in camp haven’t played in the major leagues. Who are they?
10. Which Oriole coach played in the major leagues?
A) Don Long
B) Darren Holmes
C) Tim Cossins
D) Fredi González
Orioles World Series winners
11. In 1966, these two pitchers combined to start 29 games.
A) Moe Drabowsky and Steve Barber
B) John Miller and Eddie Watt
C) Frank Bertaina and Bill Short
D) Gene Bradender and Tom Phoebus
12. Last season, the Orioles used a franchise-record 38 pitchers. In 1970, how many pitchers did they use?
13. In the 1966 World Series, the Los Angeles Dodgers hit one home run. Who hit it?
A) Jim Lefebvre
B) Ron Fairly
C) Wes Parker
D) John Roseboro
14. Which Philadelphia Phillie hit two home runs in the 1983 World Series?
A) Mike Schmidt
B) Gary Matthews
C) Garry Maddox
D) Joe Morgan
15. In the 1983 ALCS, the Orioles faced the Chicago White Sox. On Chicago’s roster was the father of a future Oriole. Name him.
Odds and Ends
16. This Orioles broadcaster doubled as voice of the Baltimore Bullets.
A) Chuck Thompson
B) Frank Messer
C) Jim Karvellas
D) Bill O’Donnell
17. Which Oriole player was the first to serve as a color commentator on television?
18. In 1961, the Orioles had their first interim manager after Paul Richards left to run the Houston Colt 45s.
A) George Staller
B) Vern Hoscheit
C) Billy Hitchcock
D) Lum Harris
19. In 1960, the Orioles had six pitchers win 10 or more games. Name four.
20. This man had one of the most famous hits in baseball history and ended his career with six hitless at-bats with the Orioles. Who was he?
21. On June 22, 1979, Doug DeCinces hit a two-run home run to key a comeback win, the team’s seventh straight. As legend has it, Orioles Magic was born with that homer. What team did DeCinces homer against?
22. For most of the Orioles’ history, WBAL was the rights-holder. More recently, it’s been 105.7 The Fan, but from 1979-1986, another radio station in Baltimore aired Orioles games. What was it?
23. In 1980, the Orioles won 100 games but did not qualify for the postseason. Which player wasn’t a part of that team?
A) Drungo Hazewood
B) Wayne Krenchicki
C) John Flinn
D) Mark Corey
24. Who did the Orioles play in the 1979 ALCS?
25. Who played shortstop for the Orioles on June 30, 1982, the game before Cal Ripken Jr. started at short for the first time?
Home Run Happy
26. This player hit a home run in his first major league at-bat, but because he later played in the continuation of a suspended game, it does not appear in the record book.
27. Who hit the last inside-the-park home run for the Orioles?
28. Which Oriole pitcher was the last to homer?
A) Zack Britton
B) Kris Benson
C) Bud Norris
D) Jeremy Guthrie
29. Who was the first Oriole to hit 20 home runs in a season?
A) Bob Nieman
B) Gus Triandos
C) Bob Boyd
D) George Kell
30. The Orioles hit just 52 home runs in 1954. Their pitchers allowed 78. Who led the team in home runs allowed with 18?
A) Bob Turley
B) Joe Coleman
C) Lou Kretlow
D) Don Larsen
Follow Rich Dubroff on Twitter @RichDubroffMLB
You must be logged in to post a comment Login or Register Here
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.