Orioles make another bullpen move; Smith's injury lingers; September additions - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Rich Dubroff

Orioles make another bullpen move; Smith’s injury lingers; September additions

Photo Credit: Joy R. Absalon

BALTIMORE—After Sunday’s game, the Orioles optioned rookie right-hander Dillon Tate to Triple-A Norfolk. In his place, right-hander Tayler Scott gets his second call to the Orioles this season.

Scott, who was claimed on waivers from Seattle on June 25, had a two-game audition with the Orioles last month. The only native South African to play in the majors, Scott allowed five runs in two innings. Scott has a 12.10 ERA in seven games with the Mariners and Orioles this season.

At Norfolk, Scott didn’t give up a run in 13 innings and struck out 17 while walking one.

The Orioles continue with 14 pitchers because manager Brandon Hyde said that Miguel Castro, who last pitched July 30, was “iffy” for Monday’s game. Castro has been sick, and threw before the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Waiting on Smith: Dwight Smith Jr. is eligible to come off the 10-day injured list on Friday, but he’s still recovering from his left calf injury.

“There’s a little bit of improvement. It’s progressing,” Smith said. “I’m not limping as much. I feel a little bit better than I have last week. I’ve just got to take it easy.”

Smith said he wasn’t sure when he would be ready to play.

“I don’t want to re-aggravate it or have a setback,” Smith said. “Running and stopping might be the biggest thing for me since I pretty much like to move around a lot. I’m pretty active in the field, hitting-wise and on the bases. I’ve got to be able to stop and turn whenever I can.”

Smith hurt the calf on July 27 against the Los Angeles Angels. He was removed from the game, and the injury wasn’t thought to be serious.

“It kind of came out of nowhere with my calf,” Smith said. “It might have been sore pretty much all year. It’ll be alright.”

Smith sat out the next day’s game and hurt the calf more seriously when he was legging out a pinch-hit single on July 29 in San Diego.

“As soon as I took that step, that’s when I felt it,” Smith said. “That’s why I knew there was something wrong, and I had to really rest it.”

Rough stretch coming: The Orioles are 16-15 since June 28. But the next 13 games are against the New York Yankees, Houston Astros and Boston Red Sox.

“The schedule is the schedule,” Hyde said. “This is the big-boy league. You’re going to face good players. You’re going to face good teams … This is August, playing against really good teams, nothing better than that.

“Take it as a challenge. I want our guys to take it as a challenge. I want our guys to play to win and compete like they’ve been doing and not back down from anybody and play hard.”

September roster expansion: This is the final season teams will be able to carry 40 players in September. Next season, the roster limit will be 26 until September 1, when two additional players can be added.

Hyde is looking forward to the opportunity to look at some additional players.

“We haven’t discussed what that’s going to look like,” Hyde said. “But anytime you can add guys [to] the roster, and give guys experience up here, and be able to see some guys that are in Triple-A right now, potentially having the opportunity to play up here, it’s going to be fun to watch.

“Anytime you watch young players you’re interested in, it’s exciting, against major league teams in September that are trying to win. That’s fun. I’m looking forward to the next two months.”

Follow Rich Dubroff on Twitter @RichDubroffMLB

3 Comments

3 Comments

  1. CalsPals

    August 5, 2019 at 6:53 pm

    “It might have been sore pretty much all year”, WTH, makes zero sense to me…wow…go O’s…

  2. Orioles fan 4weaver

    August 5, 2019 at 10:33 pm

    Tonight O’s score 6 runs off Yankee pitching but not enough when pitchers gives up 5 home runs in one game at home. We are scoring enough to win just need a little help on the mound.

  3. Bman

    August 6, 2019 at 10:37 am

    Even with brutal upcoming schedule, it doesn’t seem like Os will catch Tigers for worst record. DET prob gets first pick in draft, Os 2nd. Probably not much of a difference in talent level between the two slots. No phenom that I’ve read about so far.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login or Register Here

Leave a Reply

To Top