What are the internal options for the 2018 rotation? Here's a list (and it's not pretty) - Page 2 of 12 - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Minors

What are the internal options for the 2018 rotation? Here’s a list (and it’s not pretty)

RHP Miguel Castro

2018 Opening Day Age: 23

2017 Team: Orioles/Bowie

2017 Stats: 3-0, 4.44 ERA, 24 1/3 innings (Bowie); 3-3, 3.53 ERA, 66 1/3 innings (Orioles)

Baseball Reference Page

One of the Orioles’ brightest spots, Castro made 15 relief appearances of at least two innings in 2017. The Dominican Republic native only gave up one hit in six shutout innings out of the bullpen on August 3 after the Detroit Tigers roughed Chris Tillman up for seven runs (five earned) in two-plus innings. It was his longest outing since August 2014 with Single-A Lansing in the Toronto Blue Jays’ organization. With Castro atop this list, you can tell a lot about the state of the Orioles’ rotation. He has only made 36 starts in six years as a professional (just six in the past three seasons). One of those starts – his only one in the majors – came against the Tampa Bay Rays in the next-to-last game of 2017. In that outing, Castro suffered the loss after giving up three runs and six hits in 3 1/3 innings. He’s a big question mark, but the Orioles will see what he can do in spring training. Castro is out of minor league options, so at a minimum, he’ll likely have a spot in the bullpen in 2018.

November 24, 2017 at 9:09 am

Isn’t Yankee Stadium a hitter friendly park? Don’t hear complaints there. Think it’s more the team’s direction than it is the park they play in.

November 24, 2017 at 10:11 am

I think we’ve been over this before. But I’ll write it once again. If you are going to pay the most money to win a bidding war there is no concern over ballparks. The Yankees do that. The Orioles don’t. And when the money is even, or close to even, pitchers choose elsewhere. There is no smoking gun here.

2. Tiss

November 24, 2017 at 10:11 am

This has been mentioned as comments to other posts here before, but if the O’s don’t go after one of the real SP prizes in FA (Ohtani, Darvish, Arrieta)–and I wholeheartedly support them not doing so–I am less than enthused about the remaining options. Lance Lynn? Andrew Cashner? I think Jason Vargas might be ok, and I love Alex Cobb, but I’d rather we go with some combo of these young guys than pay FA money to a guy like Lynn or Cashner to become Jimenez or Gallardo version 3.0

November 24, 2017 at 10:55 am

I just don’t think penciling in more than one of these guys in April is a good idea. In fact, it’s a bad idea. They should be 6th starters/depth. I just don’t know how the Orioles add three that are better given their FA philosophy.

3. Birdman

November 24, 2017 at 12:20 pm

The starting pitching situation, as described in this article, is so bad that the Orioles have little realistic prospect of contending in 2018. The best direction for the team is to consider 2018 as a “rebuilding” year, and focus on 2019 and beyond – trade Manny, and Britton or Brach, during the off-season, for pitching prospects, and sign Schoop to an extension.

November 25, 2017 at 9:40 am

That’s certainly a thought. But I don’t see them doing that.

4. steveboothe12

November 24, 2017 at 10:41 pm

The internal list of candidates validates the need to add to the group by free agency, international market, and trades to enhance the competition.

I feel Britton should be dealt for at least one pitcher to add to the competition mix plus it will save salary money to direct towards free agent options. I think Brach should be kept as he’s shown to be adequate as a closer & much cheaper than Britton. If Brach gets injured. O’Day or Givens could fill-in.

Of the group listed, Castro is the most obvious but you’re taking him out of the Long relief role he did well at in 2017.

Mike Wright is who I believe might be the best 5th starter choice as he does have the physical skills (size) to be dominate (unlike Wilson).

Violent Agreement in that no more than one off the internal list should fill a starting role.

To be a legit 2018 playoff team & knowing the Os don’t typically sign high profile Starters, trading Manny to bring back a starter plus a serviceable 3rd/SS (maybe move Beckham over to 3rd due to limited defensive skills) might be the best course-of-Action as his FA price-tag is beyond the team’s likely affordability.

November 25, 2017 at 9:43 am

I’m very curious to see what happens with Wright. He has the stuff to be a major leaguer — and a good one. He just hasn’t been able to put it together. I still would like to see him put in the bullpen and left there to see how he can handle a setup role pitching 3-4 days a week

5. Bkr555

November 25, 2017 at 11:47 am

Time to think out of the box. Starters 1) Bundy, 2) Gausman, 3) Cobb, 4) Britton, 5) Givens 6) Castro….move Brach to closer. Sign one solid middle reliever….you’ll end up having to rely more on O’Day and Hart but it gives bullpen space and only costs for Cobb and a middle reliever. Then resign Manny and teach Trumbo and Davis how to hit that little white thing!

November 27, 2017 at 9:49 am

I just don’t see a move to starter for Britton. His stuff is so much better one inning at a time

• Bkr555

November 29, 2017 at 5:56 pm

and that was established by the same knuckleheads who couldn’t get Arrieta to pitch well. Britton could be one of the top five starters in the league. The ace they are looking for is right there. Teach Britton some swagger and give him the ball. The same for Givens. Those two guys have unhittable stuff when they are on. The more they pitch, the less some bad pitcher will pitch. And if Britton bombs as a starter, resigning him becomes alot easier. Look at it this way…if you were in the other teams dug out….who would you want to see penciled in against you? Asher, Ynoa, Wright or Britton? anybody but Britton. What exactly is the down side?

6. 54orioles

November 27, 2017 at 9:27 am

I’m going to be 73 on opening day and can throw a pretty good curveball and a fast ball the breaks 50 mph. I might fit in with this group. Time for my nap.

7. 54orioles

November 27, 2017 at 9:29 am

I’m going to be 73 on opening day and I can throw a pretty good curveball and my fastball breaks 59 mph. I should get a shot with this group. Time for my nap

8. 54orioles

November 27, 2017 at 9:30 am

I’m going to be…….wait did I say that already?

November 27, 2017 at 9:48 am

Hahahaha. I think you could do it. But I’m not sure you’d give them a lot of innings. Sometimes naps last 3 hours too