Dean's Dozen: Our updated O's prospects list heading into Thursday's minor league start - Page 2 of 13 - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Dean Jones Report

Dean’s Dozen: Our updated O’s prospects list heading into Thursday’s minor league start

No. 1: Chance Sisco, C, Norfolk

2016 statistics: .317, 6 HRs, 51 RBIs, 28 2Bs in 116 games (Bowie/Norfolk)

MILB.com Player Page

Sisco, 22, enters the season as the Orioles’ top prospect on most experts’ lists. The 2013 second-round pick batted .320 with four home runs and 44 RBIs in 112 games with the Baysox in 2016. Most important, he led the Eastern League with an impressive .406 on-base percentage. Sisco, who batted .292 in 17 games with the Orioles this spring, ended last season with two home runs in four games for Norfolk, where he’ll begin this year.

1. Stacey

April 5, 2017 at 10:01 am

How far off this list is Hunter Harvey? Most lists I’ve seen include him in the top 10 despite his injuries.

• Dean Jones

April 5, 2017 at 11:30 am

Stacey,

Great question. I talked a little bit about Harvey in my initial write-up back in November. Here’s what I wrote…

“Although Baseball America referenced a scout who said, ‘a healthy Harvey showed everything you want in a top-of-the-rotation starter – talent, poise and mound presence,’ you need to keep in mind that the 2013 first-round pick (22nd overall) probably won’t pitch in a game again until 2018. Factor in that Harvey has thrown only 12 2/3 innings since July 2014, and there just isn’t enough on-field production for me to include him. Sure, Harvey still has ‘prospect’ status based on how Baseball America defines it. And he’ll only be 23 years old on Opening Day in 2018, but he has a long road back to prominence.”

And that’s basically it. I think if he were healthy, he’d definitely be on the list. But the fact remains that he hasn’t pitched much over the past few years due to injuries. It’ll be a big step if he can make it back later this year as some are saying and stay healthy. We’ll see.

Thanks for commenting,

Dean

• ZantiGM

April 7, 2017 at 11:42 am

Harvey might be pitching in games in late july

• ZantiGM

April 7, 2017 at 11:50 am

Good top 10, except i think Lee is an over rated prospect…Adrian Marin will be a late bloomer watch him this season .270 12-HR 50-RBI and finishes the season with a promotion to AAA……Hays should be in top 5……………Meisinger? Cleavinger? Reyes?

2. steveboothe12

April 5, 2017 at 10:22 am

Disagree with DJ Stewart being on the list.

Having attended 12 Spring Training games & watching Daniel Ynoa pitch, I’d rate him much higher….ahead of both Sedlock and Akin.

• Dean Jones

April 5, 2017 at 11:28 am

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I look forward to seeing how Ynoa fares. It’s almost certain that he’ll contribute to the Orioles before Sedlock and Akin, given that he’s already at Norfolk and has been in the major leagues before. I ranked Akin/Sedlock on their future potential. But obviously, for Orioles fans, it’d be great if all of them pan out.

As for DJ Stewart, I know a lot of people are down on him. And as I’ve said before, he hasn’t lit the world on fire yet. But his bounce-back play at Frederick last year was encouraging. So I’m willing to hold out hope on him and see how he does at Bowie. If he struggles, I’ll likely replace him at the All-Star break.

Thanks again,

Dean

3. LarryBS

April 6, 2017 at 2:33 am

Does anyone here stream Minor League games using MiLB? I thought about getting it, but it looks like it only works with Apple devices, not with Android, which I use. Anyone know if there is a workaround?

• Steve Cockey

April 7, 2017 at 10:31 am

Hi Larry,

I’ve never done MiLB.TV and don’t have an Android, but this link (for whatever it’s worth) says that 2017 will work with Android for the first time: http://www.milb.com/milb/multimedia/milbtv.jsp

• LarryBS

April 8, 2017 at 6:10 am

Much thanks, Steve! I had searched around a bit, but never found any mention of Android, only IOS. It appears the MiLB FAQ is out of date. And thanks for your contributions to this site, which I love.