Mailbag

Could Orioles re-sign Burnes and Santander? | MAILBAG

Question: Do you see any scenario where the Orioles re-sign both Corbin Burnes and Anthony Santander? If not, who is most likely going to still be with the team in 2025? From: Adam

Answer: Adam, I can’t imagine that the Orioles are going to be able to re-sign Burnes and Santander. Signing one of them would be hard enough, and I think both would be cost-prohibitive.

I think there will be a new starting pitcher from another organization and a right-handed hitting outfielder acquired to replace them. I think a few new relievers will be on the team, too.

CONTINUE READING BELOW

The guess here is that most of the team that ended 2024 will be with the Orioles for spring training in 2025 with perhaps five or six new players mixed in.

Question:  Do you think the organization’s hitting philosophy of “Do damage” type swinging to more of a situational approach is being adjusted with the removal of the hitting coaches? Or do you think they are simply getting new voices for their philosophy? I personally would like to see better situational awareness on offense. Curious about your take on that. From: Jeff Baker

Answer: Jeff, I know Mike Elias said he would look closely at the 2024 season, and he’s made changes so far, but I don’t know if the hitting philosophy will change.

I would like to see some more small ball mixed in, an occasional sacrifice and more bunting for hits. They do use the hit-and-run on occasion, and I like that.

CONTINUE READING BELOW

The Orioles have some excellent hitters, and they finished high in most offensive categories, but I think they needed a different outlook in those games against Kansas City. A more varied approach might have helped.

Most weekdays, I’ll be answering at least one Orioles question. If you’d like to submit a question, send it to: Rich@BaltimoreBaseball.com. Questions may be edited for clarity, length and style.

Scroll Down to LEAVE A COMMENT

Rich Dubroff

Rich Dubroff grew up in Brooklyn as a fan of New York teams, but after he moved to Baltimore, quickly adopted the Orioles and Colts. After nearly two decades as a freelancer assisting on Orioles coverage for several outlets, principally The Capital in Annapolis and The Carroll County Times, Dubroff began covering the team fulltime in 2011. He spent five years at Comcast SportsNet’s website and for the last two seasons, wrote for PressBoxonline.com, Dubroff lives in Baltimore with his wife of more than 30 years, Susan.

Share
Published by
Rich Dubroff

Recent Posts

  • Spring Training

Orioles’ Bradish on innings limit; Albernaz on rotation; Ward, Kowar report

SARASOTA-What’s happening? Kyle Bradish started six times late last season after his June 2024 Tommy…

February 15, 2026
  • Spring Training

Orioles’ Trevor Rogers on new additions: ‘This team is so exciting’

SARASOTA—Trevor Rogers hadn’t pitched at Ed Smith Stadium since he was a minor leaguer with…

February 15, 2026
  • Rich Dubroff

Orioles acquire right-hander Jackson Kowar from Twins

SARASOTA—The Orioles acquired 29-year-old right-handed pitcher Jackson Kowar from the Minnesota Twins in exchange for…

February 14, 2026
  • Spring Training

Albernaz says Bassitt will ‘fit in right away’ with Orioles

SARASOTA-What’s happening? Pitcher Chris Bassitt remembers the pain of the Toronto Blue Jays losing in…

February 14, 2026
  • Spring Training

Pitcher Chris Bassitt sets World Series as goal in first day with Orioles

SARASOTA—Chris Bassitt’s first morning with the Orioles was spent meeting his fellow pitchers. Bassitt chatted…

February 14, 2026
  • Spring Training

Orioles’ Mayo, Mountcastle know time at first base will be limited with Alonso’s arrival

SARASOTA—With Pete Alonso’s signing, playing time at first base could be rare for Coby Mayo…

February 14, 2026