Dan Connolly

Flaherty pitches for first time since high school — says he was bad then, too

Utility infielder Ryan Flaherty admitted after Saturday’s game that position players all want one chance to pitch. He got his in the ninth inning, giving up two runs on three hits including a homer to Jason Castro, the first batter he faced.

It was the first time Flaherty had pitched in a game since high school.

“Wasn’t very good then, and still not,” said Flaherty, who threw his fastball between 81 and 85 mph.

CONTINUE READING BELOW

Flaherty said he initially wanted to throw a scoreless inning, but once he gave up the homer, he just wanted to get the inning over as quickly as possible.

He’s the first Oriole position player to pitch since Chris Davis was the winner on May 6, 2012 in a 17-inning game in Boston. That one was different; Showalter had run out of pitchers. This time, Showalter said he just didn’t want to put some of his relievers who threw Friday – like Vance Worley and Zach Britton – in a game that was essentially over.

“I don’t like it period, but what are you going to do?” Showalter said. “I started looking at options about four innings earlier because I knew we had a chance to get there.”

The Orioles will add another pitcher for Sunday’s game. Odrisamer Despaigne, who was recalled Saturday and then gave up four runs in three innings, was sent back to Triple-A Norfolk after the game.

CONTINUE READING BELOW

Flaherty, by the way, now owns a strange distinction. He gave up a home run as a position player one season after he hit a home run against a position player (Philadelphia’s Jeff Francoeur).

“I think I had it coming for me after last year,” he said.

Scroll Down to LEAVE A COMMENT

Dan Connolly

Dan Connolly has spent more than two decades as a print journalist in Pennsylvania and Maryland. The Baltimore native and Calvert Hall graduate first covered the Orioles as a beat writer for the York (Pennsylvania) Daily Record in 2001 before becoming The Baltimore Sun’s national baseball writer/Orioles reporter in 2005. He has won multiple state and national writing awards, including several from the Associated Press Sports Editors. In 2013 he was named Maryland Co-Sportswriter of the Year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association. And in 2015, he authored his first book, "100 Things Orioles Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die." He lives in York, with his wife, Karen, and three children, Alex, Annie, and Grace.

Share
Published by
Dan Connolly

Recent Posts

  • Spring Training

Orioles’ Bradish on innings limit; Albernaz on rotation; Ward, Kowar report

SARASOTA-What’s happening? Kyle Bradish started six times late last season after his June 2024 Tommy…

February 15, 2026
  • Spring Training

Orioles’ Trevor Rogers on new additions: ‘This team is so exciting’

SARASOTA—Trevor Rogers hadn’t pitched at Ed Smith Stadium since he was a minor leaguer with…

February 15, 2026
  • Rich Dubroff

Orioles acquire right-hander Jackson Kowar from Twins

SARASOTA—The Orioles acquired 29-year-old right-handed pitcher Jackson Kowar from the Minnesota Twins in exchange for…

February 14, 2026
  • Spring Training

Albernaz says Bassitt will ‘fit in right away’ with Orioles

SARASOTA-What’s happening? Pitcher Chris Bassitt remembers the pain of the Toronto Blue Jays losing in…

February 14, 2026
  • Spring Training

Pitcher Chris Bassitt sets World Series as goal in first day with Orioles

SARASOTA—Chris Bassitt’s first morning with the Orioles was spent meeting his fellow pitchers. Bassitt chatted…

February 14, 2026
  • Spring Training

Orioles’ Mayo, Mountcastle know time at first base will be limited with Alonso’s arrival

SARASOTA—With Pete Alonso’s signing, playing time at first base could be rare for Coby Mayo…

February 14, 2026