Spring Training

Westburg’s status remains unclear, Orioles’ Albernaz says

SARASOTA—Jordan Westburg isn’t going to play in Friday’s Grapefruit League opener against the New York Yankees, and it isn’t clear when he’s going to play.

Westburg was ruled out of early spring games by president of baseball operations Mike Elias on February 11th because of a right oblique injury. On February 13th, the 27-year-old infielder said he was satisfied with his recovery.

“I feel pretty good now. I’m happy with the way things are progressing,” Westburg said. “Obviously, frustrated and disappointed that I can’t come into spring healthy. Timetable, I’m just trying to take it day-by-day and trust in the athletic training and strength staff’s plan for my rehab. I’m hoping to get back in games. When that is, I can’t really speak to.”

CONTINUE READING BELOW

With the first Grapefruit League game a day away, manager Craig Albernaz was unable to provide a more specific update.

“He’s physically unable to participate right now,” Albernaz said on Thursday. “He’s getting evaluated by a medical team and also outside medical people to make sure we have a plan in place and see what’s going on with Jordan, get him going.”

Albernaz also refused to discuss whether it’s just Westburg’s oblique or an elbow injury that’s preventing him from playing.

“Just physically unable to go,” Albernaz said. “I just want to make sure that we do our due diligence and make sure Jordan has the best chance to play this year.”

CONTINUE READING BELOW

Westburg was limited to 85 games last year because of hamstring, ankle and finger injuries.

Third base options include Coby Mayo, Blaze Alexander, and Jeremiah Jackson. After focusing on first base for the Orioles in 2025, Mayo has been working out at third early in camp.

Former Oriole Ramón Urías remains a free agent. Mike Elias said last week that an outside acquisition in the infield is possible.

Call for questions: I answer Orioles questions most weekdays. Please send yours to: Rich@BaltimoreBaseball.com.

Scroll Down to LEAVE A COMMENT

Rich Dubroff

Rich Dubroff grew up in Brooklyn as a fan of New York teams, but after he moved to Baltimore, quickly adopted the Orioles and Colts. After nearly two decades as a freelancer assisting on Orioles coverage for several outlets, principally The Capital in Annapolis and The Carroll County Times, Dubroff began covering the team fulltime in 2011. He spent five years at Comcast SportsNet’s website and for the last two seasons, wrote for PressBoxonline.com, Dubroff lives in Baltimore with his wife of more than 30 years, Susan.

Share
Published by
Rich Dubroff

Recent Posts

  • Peter Schmuck

Peter Schmuck: Tony Clark fiasco has put the players union in a vulnerable position

I don’t have the time or inclination to fret about the tawdry scandal that led…

February 19, 2026
  • Rich Dubroff

Orioles’ Bassitt on Clark’s resignation, contract negotiations, salary cap

SARASOTA—Chris Bassitt, the 36-year-old right-handed starter who was signed last week, is an executive subcommittee…

February 19, 2026
  • Spring Training

Jeremiah Jackson on making an impression with Orioles: ‘Every day is a job interview’

SARASOTA-What’s happening? A year ago during spring training, Jeremiah Jackson was stuck in the auxiliary…

February 18, 2026
  • Spring Training

Orioles’ spring training — a look back and ahead

SARASOTA--Wednesday marks the beginning of the second week of spring training for the Orioles, and…

February 18, 2026