Spring Training

Elias says he expects Orioles to have Westburg update ‘very, very soon’

SARASOTA—Orioles president of baseball operations Mike Elias says that he’s aware of reports about further injuries to infielder Jordan Westburg.

On February 11th, Elias said that Westburg would miss the first few games of the Grapefruit League schedule due to a right oblique injury. With the Orioles’ first game coming up on Friday against the New York Yankees, Westburg isn’t close to being ready.

“I’m aware of the reports. He came into camp with an oblique injury so he hasn’t been real visible or real active in camp thus far,” Elias said in an interview on 105.7 The Fan on Thursday night.

CONTINUE READING BELOW

“When it comes to any other injuries or anything else going on, if you’re the club, if you’re management with the club, we can’t get out there and start talking about things until we really have our arms around a diagnosis, a prognosis, a plan,” Elias said.

“Whether it’s his case or any others, we’re just not there yet. We’ll have something to share very, very soon.”

Earlier on Thursday, manager Craig Albernaz declined to elaborate, either.

“I just want to make sure that we do our due diligence and make sure Jordan has the best chance to play this year,” he said.

CONTINUE READING BELOW

Elias didn’t hint at a timeline.

“I’m just not at a point to be able to address anything publicly in a responsible manner outside of what we have already shared as a club, but we’ll do that as soon as we’re able to,” he said. “I expect that we’ll be able to share some news soon.”

Call for questions: I answer Orioles questions most weekdays. Please send yours to: Rich@BaltimoreBaseball.com.

Scroll Down to LEAVE A COMMENT

Rich Dubroff

Rich Dubroff grew up in Brooklyn as a fan of New York teams, but after he moved to Baltimore, quickly adopted the Orioles and Colts. After nearly two decades as a freelancer assisting on Orioles coverage for several outlets, principally The Capital in Annapolis and The Carroll County Times, Dubroff began covering the team fulltime in 2011. He spent five years at Comcast SportsNet’s website and for the last two seasons, wrote for PressBoxonline.com, Dubroff lives in Baltimore with his wife of more than 30 years, Susan.

Share
Published by
Rich Dubroff

Recent Posts

  • Spring Training

Rogers will start Orioles’ Grapefruit League opener

SARASOTA-What’s happening? Trevor Rogers will start Friday’s Grapefruit League opener against the New York Yankees…

February 19, 2026
  • Spring Training

Westburg’s status remains unclear, Orioles’ Albernaz says

SARASOTA—Jordan Westburg isn’t going to play in Friday’s Grapefruit League opener against the New York…

February 19, 2026
  • Peter Schmuck

Peter Schmuck: Tony Clark fiasco has put the players union in a vulnerable position

I don’t have the time or inclination to fret about the tawdry scandal that led…

February 19, 2026
  • Rich Dubroff

Orioles’ Bassitt on Clark’s resignation, contract negotiations, salary cap

SARASOTA—Chris Bassitt, the 36-year-old right-handed starter who was signed last week, is an executive subcommittee…

February 19, 2026
  • App

Do the Orioles strike out too often? | MAILBAG

Churches Hugh

February 18, 2026