The Ex-Os Report: Looking at the 2017 Orioles that are elsewhere - or nowhere - this season - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Paul Folkemer

The Ex-Os Report: Looking at the 2017 Orioles that are elsewhere — or nowhere — this season

While the Orioles’ scheduled game in Boston was rained out Monday, their regional rivals in Washington caught my eye. The Nationals’ starter was right-hander Jeremy Hellickson, who pitched 10 mostly disastrous games for the Orioles in 2017, going 2-6 with a 6.97 ERA.

Hellickson signed a minor league deal with the Nationals just 12 days before the start of the regular season and recently replaced A.J. Cole as the club’s fifth starter. In his Nationals’ debut Monday, Hellickson pitched 4 2/3 innings and was lucky to give up just two runs, considering he allowed eight baserunners.

That got me thinking. What have the other departed 2017 Orioles been up to this season?

Throughout the year, we’re going to run an occasional series checking in on last year’s Orioles who have flown the nest. Which players are excelling in their new homes? Which ones are struggling? Which ones haven’t found a new team at all?

Last season, 50 players made an appearance in an Orioles uniform. At the start of this season, 20 of those players, Hellickson included, were no longer in the Baltimore organization.

Four of those 2017 Orioles cracked the Opening Day roster of other MLB teams in 2018. Plenty of others are kicking around in the minors, overseas or elsewhere. Let’s take a closer look.

Prev1 of 9

1. Dblack2508

April 18, 2018 at 8:31 am

The loss of Flaherty stands out the most to me. I am not buying his hot start offensively. The loss of his versatility cannot be denied. For a player that was the brunt of many jokes, the defense has suffered tremendously.

April 18, 2018 at 8:37 am

He is one of those players that you miss more when they are gone.

2. jimcarter

April 18, 2018 at 8:45 am

I’m glad Paul mentioned the “inexplicable attention”. It was beyond strange.

April 18, 2018 at 9:30 am

Yeah. Usually the lightning rods are much higher profile.

April 18, 2018 at 8:47 am

I’m wondering where all this love Flaherty is now receiving was for the 1st 2 years of BB.com’s existence? I do remember our hero Mr. Connolly defending him on more than one occasion, and I always wondered aloud why he didn’t get more of a shot at 2nd before they brought Schoop up. (I admit was wrong) Honestly, all I remember is the disdain and vitriol he received from our fan base up until this year. I also remember his power numbers in the ½ year he actually had a chance to play every day. Heck, I loved the guy in a Mark Belanger kind-of-way! Are we really that fickle?

April 18, 2018 at 9:32 am

The guy had one of the more difficult assignments in baseball. Don’t play for days or weeks and then fill in for three days or five days as a starter while someone is banged up. To be able to do that and not make mistakes was a credit to Flaherty. Love seeing him do well. He deserves it.

• willmiranda

April 18, 2018 at 11:22 am

Little detail: When a starter gets a day off for rest, it’s usually against a good pitcher. Nobody sits against a number 5 pitcher.

4. jimcarter

April 18, 2018 at 8:48 am

Kim wasn’t one of Buck’s chosen ones (see Flaherty, Andino, Lough, Davis).

April 18, 2018 at 9:33 am

I’m not sure Lough makes that list.

• Dpsmith22

April 18, 2018 at 10:11 am

Kim was an atrocious outfielder, that’s why. His hard contact rate was far below major league average as well.

5. Dpsmith22

April 18, 2018 at 10:12 am

Many of the ex-O’s are not on other teams because no one wanted them, when Duquette acquired them.

April 18, 2018 at 11:43 am

OK, I’ll bite because, hey, I like being enlightened. Who specifically are you talking about? Because I’m not sure of anyone that fits that category. And please don’t say Jimenez. Yes, 4-$50M was an overpay but he was coming off a half season in which he was the best P in the AL and his old team made him a $14 million qualifying offer which he rejected.

6. TxBirdFan

April 18, 2018 at 12:26 pm

Outside of Flaherty and maybe Smith, I don’t think any of these guys would have improved upon the O’s woeful start this year, so good decision to let them move on. Flaherty and Smith probably wouldn’t have changed it either although they would have made the starting lineup a mite better. Anyone else worried about what this list might look like next year?

April 18, 2018 at 12:40 pm

It could change substantially. Thank goodness the Internet has unlimited space.