AL East Positional Rankings: Pitching, managing - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Paul Folkemer

AL East Positional Rankings: Pitching, managing

It’s time for the grand finale of my three-part, AL East position rankings series, where I’m grading how the Orioles compare to their division opponents. Part one covered the infield and part two the outfield.

Now, on to the pitchers and managers. You can probably guess where the Orioles’ starting rotation ranks.

Prev1 of 4

1. OsFanStuckInNY

March 28, 2018 at 7:17 am

(You’ve insulted blind tortoises everywhere, but especially those stuck in molasses.)

Aaron Boone: maybe the Skankees want to try a TV guy to manage the celebrity mentality in the club house? This could be an interesting sideshow. Then again, they may run away with the AL crown and no one will care.

March 28, 2018 at 9:07 am

I’m really curious about how that dynamic will work.

• Paul Folkemer

March 28, 2018 at 10:09 am

Yeah, I think even if Boone has his struggles, it’d be really hard for him to screw up that team. That seems like a roster that could manage itself.

2. Stacey

March 28, 2018 at 8:55 am

I wish you had started this series with pitching so that we wouldn’t have to go into opening day on such a downer! I guess that’s the Orioles fault though, not yours.

March 28, 2018 at 9:08 am

Don’t shoot the pessimistic (realistic) messenger.

March 28, 2018 at 9:10 am

Paul that was an excellent assessment of the Orioles starting rotation. I initially like a lot of fans will feel-“they’re much improved at least on paper”. BUT when you were that bad you have to prove your self.

• Paul Folkemer

March 28, 2018 at 10:12 am

Thanks, Orial. One thing that separates the Orioles’ staff from the others is that they don’t have an ace on the level of Sale, Severino, Stroman, or Archer. It’s not too late for Bundy or Gausman to develop into a guy like that, but they both had ERAs above 4.00 last season.

March 28, 2018 at 10:48 am

It could be argued that 4.0 is the new 3.0.

Especially in the parks like OPACY.

4. Dblack2508

March 28, 2018 at 10:11 am

I can’t argue too much with rankings. except I think our starting rotation is 4th, not 5th.

March 28, 2018 at 10:43 am

Maybe the quality makes it that, but based on numbers, the Rays always do better than Os because the Trop is a great pitchers’ park. One of the best. And no matter the newer ways to evaluate, we all still look at ERA, right?

• willmiranda

March 28, 2018 at 4:14 pm

Maybe I’m being optimistic, but I agree with Dblack.. Except for the Yankees, there are questions about the full five-man rotation for all the clubs, and I wonder about Sabathia when he’s not pitching against the Orioles. Except for Tillman, I think we have a pretty solid idea of what to expect from our starters, and we have alternatives for number 5, although not very appetizing. I worry more about the defense: not many gold gloves or quality backups. Mostly I’m hoping that one or two other teams falter.

5. jkneps63

March 28, 2018 at 12:27 pm

Buck is great pitching and defense manager, but he has let his batters swing freely during most of his tenure in Baltimore. Not sure why the Orioles’ hitters cannot be more disciplined and use the entire field – I guess it is easier to rely or hope for the ole three run homer! I believe with their lineup they should perform a lot better than 16th in runs (which being 8th in strikeouts and 29th in walks has much to do with).

March 28, 2018 at 8:59 pm

Part of it tho is that’s the kind of hitters they are. Davis was in Texas, Trumbo in Anaheim etc.

March 28, 2018 at 1:17 pm

Don’t kid yourself, Cora and Boone represent the future of baseball management, which is make sure everyone makes it to the bus on time and do whatever the spreadsheet from the front-office says. Mr. Showalter is of a dying breed. The age of the celebrity manager, stretching from Walter Robinson and John McGraw up to Earl Weaver/Billy Martin et al. has come to an end. Micro-management from upstairs is all the rage now.

March 28, 2018 at 8:59 pm

I always love your perspective Stache. This is a good one.