AL East Positional Rankings: Outfield, DH, bench - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Paul Folkemer

AL East Positional Rankings: Outfield, DH, bench

Welcome back to my AL East position rankings, where I’m comparing the five division teams at every position on the diamond. Previously, I ranked the infields.

Enough small talk. Let’s move right to part two: the outfields, designated hitters and benches. You won’t find an Oriole atop any of these lists.

Prev1 of 6

March 27, 2018 at 10:06 am

Sorry, but I’ll take the elder statesmen as my centerfielder.

March 27, 2018 at 10:24 am

Center field is stacked. So many ways you could rank that one.

March 27, 2018 at 11:17 am

This is the category where the O’s drop off. Still that massive hole in RF(come on Hays we need ya).

March 27, 2018 at 11:42 am

Yeah. It’s there for the taking. Don’t sleep on Santander tho. I really like what I saw this spring. He’s got a chance.

3. Stacey

March 27, 2018 at 1:41 pm

Good story, Paul. But you forgot to mention Kevin Kiermaier’s additional talent of being crazy handsome.

• Paul Folkemer

March 27, 2018 at 1:43 pm

I gave him bonus points for that.

March 27, 2018 at 2:51 pm

When you are as crazy handsome as Paul, you aren’t easily impressed. Bar. Set. High.

4. Booged and Powelled

March 27, 2018 at 3:07 pm

It doesnt take a lot to understand the Orioles will rank low in individual OF positions vs the AL East.

5 might be a bit high for C Rasmus 🙂

March 27, 2018 at 3:23 pm

Partially that’s because there are some really good outfielders in the East. And more are coming.

5. TxBirdFan

March 27, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Thanks Paul! The infielder compares were a bit more fun since the O’s fared better. The outfielders, DH and bench compares helped bring me back to earth. Listing salaries next to names might make this even more jocular! Thanks for providing some enjoyment as the season kicks off.

• Paul Folkemer

March 27, 2018 at 5:07 pm

Thanks, Tx. Although if you think the Orioles ranking low isn’t much fun, you might want to cover your eyes for the starting rotation rankings, coming tomorrow.

6. Strovel

March 27, 2018 at 10:05 pm

O’s have three Rule 5 players; Pedro Alvarez, who can’t play the field; and Craig Gentry, who would be fine to carry if this were 1978 and we carried 16/17 position players. That’s 25 percent of the roster.

7. Dblack2508

March 28, 2018 at 8:21 am

Dan, I have liked what I have seen of Santander, I agree with you mostly on your assessments.

8. Orioles54

March 28, 2018 at 1:04 pm

Probably nailed this category Paul. Although rhetorical answer to your question, I’d put Betts ahead of Judge. Still not a believer, O’s bias I guess, but pitching and defense win championships, not a zillion HR’s , the O’ have proved that. Can Stanton adapt to DH? Seems like a waste, and ridiculous amount of money, but we’ll see.