Revisiting AL East Position Rankings: Pitching - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Paul Folkemer

Revisiting AL East Position Rankings: Pitching

Welcome to the final part of my 2017 end-of-season AL East position rankings.

As a reminder, the main purpose of this series is to basically make a fool of myself. I’m looking back at my AL East position rankings from April and determining what I got right and — as is usually the case — what I got wrong.

I wrote about the AL East infields in Part One and the outfields, DHs and benches in Part Two. To wrap things up, I’ll rank the pitching staffs and managers of the 2017 AL East teams. My April rankings can be found here for comparison.

Prev1 of 4

1. GSISDANNO

October 19, 2017 at 9:18 am

I would have been tempted to rank the Orioles starting pitching ninth in a five-team division.

October 19, 2017 at 12:34 pm

As high as ninth?

October 19, 2017 at 10:33 am

No fools being made here Paul, its ultimately guesswork, and it’s not like you said Gausman would be a Cy Young finalist or anything… (sad trombone)

I feel redeemed about something today. There were several incidences this season where Showalter would come out and argue the dread “non-reviewable” call and come up empty handed. In every one of these instances, there was an enormous video screen installed somewhere in the outfield that everyone in the stadium, including the umpires, could see in high definition. And never once did Buck simply point to the replay being shown in living color 50 feet high and say “Look!”. Last night, the well spectacled and stubbled Joe Maddon did exactly this, proving that , while his reputation for being the smartest guy in the room may be overblown, he at least has more common sense than your typical baseball manager.

October 20, 2017 at 9:03 am

I’m definitely a fan of Maddon and how he runs a team. But there are some within the game that get rankled by that mad genius persona.

3. willmiranda

October 20, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Just like to say I enjoyed this littles series. Nice mix of fact, feeling, and fun about a topic we can all relate to but don’t take the time to think out for ourselves. The before and after was a good context and the reasoning gave good points for agreement or disagreement.

October 21, 2017 at 12:01 am

Appreciate you reading, WM. Paul does a nice job with these. And all he does for us.