Revisiting AL East Position Rankings: Outfield - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Paul Folkemer

Revisiting AL East Position Rankings: Outfield

Welcome to part two of my AL East position rankings series. If you’re just joining us, I’m rating how each of the five division teams fared at every position in 2017 — and comparing them to my preseason rankings in April to discover just how wrong I was.

In part one, I covered the infield. Next, I’ll analyze the outfield, designated hitter and bench for each team. Here’s how I ranked them all in April. How close did I get to reality? (Spoiler: not close at all.)

Prev1 of 6

1. OsFanStuckInNY

October 18, 2017 at 8:08 am

I had to skim a lot of this. So depressing to revisit the train wreck of 2017. (Apologies to anyone related to an actual train wreck.)

Dreading your next installment.
    That said, I’m guessing the Astros might come shopping for bullpen help this winter. Do they have starters to spare?

• Bancells Moustache

October 18, 2017 at 10:30 am

This winter? I wouldn’t be surprised if they called Dan Duquette and had an Uber sitting outside of Zach Britton’s house during the eighth inning last night. “Listen Dan, I know its a little late, but you remember that conversation we had in July…”

October 18, 2017 at 9:03 am

This proves there’s a lot more to address than the pitching.

• OsFanStuckInNY

October 18, 2017 at 11:51 am

I think what is most frustrating is the amount of talent on this team that consistently underperforms. I know it is a long season and it must be a challenge to be “up” every moment of the game, but with all the multi-millionaires on the team, I’d hope for more consistency and a “put the ball in play” and “at least pitch it where they *might* swing” approach.

October 18, 2017 at 1:27 pm

More to address than our pitching? I respectfully but totally disagree. Our lineup and bench are solid and deep.

• OsFanStuckInNY

October 18, 2017 at 6:04 pm

The abominable starting pitching was a given. That wasn’t frustrating, that was horrifying — and embarrass.

October 18, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Mr. Folkemer, I have but one bone to chew with you. I believe it was a bit unfair of you to use the term “flame out” when describing what happened with the Hitting Machine this year. “Phased out” would be more appropriate in my opinion, considering Mr. Kim was never really given a fighting chance by our management in 2017. Hyun Soo was never anything but a professional considering his overall treatment by the organization, especially this past season. For whatever reason, I believe Buck screwed the pooch in this case.

• Paul Folkemer

October 18, 2017 at 3:47 pm

I can’t argue too much with that. I was definitely surprised by how little of an opportunity Kim got this year.

Although I will say that when he did get his chances, he didn’t do much with them. I just thought he would have a longer leash after leading the team in OBP in 2016.