Revisiting AL East Position Rankings: Infield - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Paul Folkemer

Revisiting AL East Position Rankings: Infield

At the start of the 2017 season, I attempted to compare the Orioles to their AL East opponents by ranking each team in the division at every position on the field.

Making predictions is a fool’s errand, as we all know. And making predictions about how five teams will rank at every position over the course of a season is even more foolish. You’re just going to look ridiculously wrong at the end of the year. If I were smart, I would never bring up those rankings again, and spare myself the embarrassment of being so wildly off-base.

But nobody ever accused me of being smart. So, without further ado, I’m going to revisit my April rankings and see just how much I missed the mark based on how the 2017 season turned out. I’ll also offer my final end-of-season rankings for each.

We’ll start today with the infield rankings (my April rankings can be found here).

Prev1 of 6

1. OsFanStuckInNY

October 17, 2017 at 7:59 am

How would you rate them according to fielding? Any comments on the number of errors the Os’ infield amassed this year? Number of potential errors Davis saved?

• OsFanStuckInNY

October 17, 2017 at 8:03 am

Machado had, by far, his worst defensive year: https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/machama01-field.shtml

• Paul Folkemer

October 17, 2017 at 9:44 am

I tried to take fielding into account as part of the overall rankings. It’s a little tricky to analyze the defense of the non-Orioles, though, since we only see them in a handful of games each year. Error totals don’t really tell us much, either, and advanced defensive stats (no matter how much stock you put into them) can be a little shaky in a one-year sample.

Overall I’d say the Orioles might have had the best defensive infield in the division as a group. The outfield is a different story.

October 17, 2017 at 9:13 am

Well Paul, let me be the 1st to accuse you of being smart. Anybody that truly understands some of the metrics that you pushed on us this year … well that person just HAS to be smart.

Now Davis as the top pick at 1st base … that’s another story.

What were you thinkin’? If there were one guy I could have axed from this team this offseason … it’s Crush. And I know, I know … he ain’t going anywhere anytime soon. Sigh….

• Paul Folkemer

October 17, 2017 at 9:31 am

Thanks, Boog. I’ll take the compliment!

And yeah, the Davis pick looks bad now. But on paper, the crop of AL East first basemen entering the season just wasn’t impressive. Moreland, Smoak and Morrison had been career-long mediocrities, and the Yankees were trying a platoon between a flawed Carter and a rookie Bird. Davis had the best track record of any of those guys, so I ranked him first. I also thought there was a chance he’d have one of his odd-year breakouts like he did in 2013 and 2015.

October 17, 2017 at 10:25 am

And to be fair it’s not Davis I’d like axed so much as it is his contract.

3. Stacey

October 17, 2017 at 9:31 am

Should have extended Schoop before this season, I think…

October 18, 2017 at 6:47 am

I’ll second Stacey on this one.

4. TxBirdFan

October 17, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Paul – where would you put Sano in your closing ratings? He looks to be an up and coming 3rd baseman who the Twins missed in the playoffs.

• Jbiglen49

October 18, 2017 at 1:13 am

Certainly not as qualified as Paul. But, Sano is a strong hitter who should only get better but he’s built like a tractor trailer. More of a hitter who needed a position. They stuck him in the outfield for awhile last season but that didn’t work out. Needs to cut down on the K’s too, he’s at a Crush like level. As long as he does that he ought to be a very good player. Strong arm but, being 6’4 240, he’s never going to have great range at 3rd.

• Jbiglen49

October 18, 2017 at 1:19 am

*260. Sano’s not pushing 240 on his best days.

• Paul Folkemer

October 18, 2017 at 9:18 am

As a 3B only, Sano wouldn’t rank very high for 2017. He only started 79 games at 3B this year. And as Jbiglen mentioned, he’s not a very good fielder. I’d probably rank him behind Machado, Donaldson, and Longoria overall for the season.

But again, that’s just for this year. Going forward, I’d love to have Sano on my team. If he can play adequate defense at 3B, his bat will more than make up the difference. The Twins are lucky to have him.

• TxBirdFan

October 18, 2017 at 10:14 am

Thanks all. You confirmed my thoughts as well.