25 years at Camden Yards: Quotes from (and photos of) those who opened the park in 1992 - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Dan Connolly

Before Saturday night’s game, the Orioles will celebrate Camden Yards and honor the 1992 team that opened the stadium 25 years ago in April with a 2-0 victory against the Cleveland Indians.

On Friday, many of the key players on that squad, including starting pitcher Rick Sutcliffe (who threw a complete-game shutout), Hall-of-Famer Cal Ripken Jr., and current Orioles’ vice president Brady Anderson participated in a news conference with reporters.

Mike Mussina, one of the greatest pitchers in Orioles history, attended, and so did  first baseman Glenn Davis, one of the franchise’s most infamous players thanks to an injury-riddled tenure here after being dealt for three future All-Stars in the franchise’s worst trade.

Here’s a look – literally, a look. I took some snapshots of most the players during Friday’s interviews so you could see what these guys look like now – at Friday’s conference, with a quote from most of those who participated.

Prev1 of 18

1. maglorio2000

August 19, 2017 at 10:15 am

Dan
    That was great. Before I read I thought it would be boring. You chose great quotes. And, thanks for the photos. It was good to see these guys 25 years later.

August 19, 2017 at 12:44 pm

Mag: You’re welcome. It’s always tricky with these things but I thought it would be a good format for pics and quotes. Glad you liked it.

2. Teejay

August 19, 2017 at 10:29 am

Hey Dan thanks for the photos! I’m down here for the weekend and it was a great atmosphere last night (a grand slam walk-off in the bottom of the ninth helps atmosphere). I’m sure they’ll be more of the same tonight, although I hope Gausmann does better than giving up 7 runs in 4 1/3!!

Thanks again….for all you do for us!!

August 19, 2017 at 12:44 pm

Thanks for checking in and reading Tee

3. karks

August 19, 2017 at 11:06 am

Thanks for sharing this, Dan. I especially appreciate your putting names with the pictures because I had a hard time recognizing a few guys.

I remember all the excitement that year, going to games with my Dad. I loved that group of players, too. I think I have autographs from pretty much everyone mentioned. I also wish Johnny Oates were still here with us. He was a special guy.

August 19, 2017 at 12:45 pm

I figured we all like to see what people from years ago look like. I apologize for the crappy snapshots. Joy, a real photographer, will get more tonight.

• karks

August 19, 2017 at 1:59 pm

No worries, they came out just fine! The O’s put photos up on their Facebook page yesterday and there were no captions. So it was really hard to tell who some guys were.

4. pedro

August 19, 2017 at 12:38 pm

Dan, why was Oates fired? He was a winner here and, later, Texas. Was it Angelos?

August 19, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Oates’ team was struggling. Angelos had just taken over the team and was critical of Oates. As many fans were. Wanted a fresh start.

5. Camden Bird

August 20, 2017 at 4:21 am

“I’ve played 18 years and am so fortunate to be able to do that and play 10 of them here and eight of them in New York. I can’t say one over the other. I’ve got two teams, that’s the way I look at it. I’m not going to choose one of them over the other.”

Ouch.

I mean, I understand Moose’s decision, growing up a Yankees fan and considering how Angelos didn’t want to pay him. But still, it stings to read that. I can’t say I’m not disappointed. I would have hoped that after all these years, he would say something like his heart will always belong in Baltimore or deep down, he will always consider himself an Oriole.

But with that quote, it makes you wonder…if Mussina does get in to Cooperstown one day, will he request to have a blank cap on his plaque like Greg Maddux because he “can’t choose one over the other”. I would really, really hope he has a bird on his cap.

August 20, 2017 at 9:27 pm

That is gonna be an interesting decision. And I do think he will get in one day.

6. TxBirdFan

August 20, 2017 at 9:03 am

Dan – I just got around to reading this and thought it was fantastic. You had some great player pics and quotes. I’m glad so many of them came back – wow, even Glenn Davis! Thanks for all you do here at the bar!

August 20, 2017 at 9:28 pm

You’re welcome Tex. Figured it’d be a good post for many of you.

7. Eddieorsulak

August 25, 2017 at 8:31 pm

Brady, Mike D, and Slak. Has there been a better defensive starting outfield since moving to OPACY?