Ex-Orioles Report: Revisiting the 2016 O's who are playing elsewhere this season - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Paul Folkemer

Ex-Orioles Report: Revisiting the 2016 O’s who are playing elsewhere this season

Back in April, we checked in on all the members of the 2016 Orioles who have landed with new clubs this season, and how they’ve fared.

With the All-Star break upon us, now’s a good time to take another look at that group. Which of last year’s Orioles have found success since leaving the team, and which are floundering?

I’ve made a few updates to the list. As mentioned last month, Brian Matusz and Nolan Reimold are no longer employed by any baseball organization. Those two, along with fellow unemployed 2016 Oriole Logan Ondrusek, have been removed from the list.

In their place, two players who started this season in the Orioles organization, but have since gone elsewhere, have been added. Coincidentally, they both landed in the same organization, as you’ll see shortly.

Prev1 of 14

July 13, 2017 at 7:42 am

I’m utterly amazed at how Brian Matusz isn’t even playing the game anymore. Once the darling of the O’s farm system, he falls off the face of the baseball earth. Wow. How old is he?

I won’t kick the dog any more by decrying the Matt Wieters decision (waaaaahhhhh) , but I’m still truly baffled as to why the O’s couldn’t hang on to McFarland. Last I remember he was rehabbing a injury of some sort. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I remember him as the 1st of D.D’s sharp rule 5 pickups. When the guy was healthy, he played more than a key role as the long lefty out of the pen. Can anybody explain to me why they gave up on him so quickly?

• bobbymac824

July 13, 2017 at 9:07 am

As I recall, he struggled early and had no options while LH’s Nuno, Hart and Bleier did.

• Osfan73

July 13, 2017 at 9:12 am

I’d take a struggling Mcfarland over Nuno any day and twice on sunday afternoon games.

July 13, 2017 at 9:36 am

Thank you both good sirs!

July 13, 2017 at 4:54 pm

FYI Flaherty was before Mac in Rule 5 pickups.

• Paul Folkemer

July 14, 2017 at 7:47 am

IMO, McFarland struggled with consistency while was here. He did have some quality performances in long relief, but he also had stretches where he couldn’t get guys out. Last year his injuries really torpedoed him.

As Bobby Mac said, I think the fact that McFarland didn’t have options is what sealed his fate (similar to Drake). I don’t think it’s a huge loss, because Richard Bleier has more than filled McFarland’s shoes.

2. Osfan73

July 13, 2017 at 9:10 am

Wieters and Mcfarland are surely missed.
    Wieters may have ended up a little less with the bat than originally thought to be but made up for it in so many other ways-his work with the pitching staff, defense at the plate, keeping steals in check, overall consistency in performance, a popular presence and positive team energy.
    Mcfarland was a dependable lefty for those now troublesome middle innings……that now seem to start around about the 2nd or 3rd inning this year, but I digress.
    As for the rest of the names mentioned here-thanks for the memories but we’ll get along ok without them.
    In mentioning Bridwell the article touches on a subject I hope will be discussed more in depth here in the future….the recurring theme of some of our ex-pitchers finding more success elsewhere, especially of late.

July 13, 2017 at 9:30 am

Ditto your Wieters analysis ’73 … I’ve been saying much the same thing around here since they let him go.

As far as pitchers finding success elsewhere, I’m sure getting out of short fenced Camden yards is a plus for most pitchers. It may be a while until we see another 4 – 20+ wins starting staff again.

• justmestac

July 13, 2017 at 12:01 pm

I absolutely concur with the Wieters assessment. Though, I rightly can be accused of bias.

I am baffled by how Matusz has ended up. Though, I do wish someone could get to the bottom of why we have some great pitching prospects that struggle here and then move on to see much better days.

July 13, 2017 at 4:58 pm

With the exception of Arrieta, I just don’t see pitchers leaving the Orioles and having much better days. Both Davies and Miranda have been OK. And Miranda is in a much better home pitcher’s park. I’m fighting upstream here, but I don’t see that as a trend.

July 14, 2017 at 7:15 am