Tap-In Question: Who will represent the Orioles at this year's All-Star Game in Miami? - BaltimoreBaseball.com
Connolly's Tap Room

Tap-In Question: Who will represent the Orioles at this year’s All-Star Game in Miami?

Welcome to the Tap Room. I’m pushing the Canadian beer in non-throwable cans today. You may want to partake.

The question I’m pushing is sort of timely. Tonight at 11:59 p.m., Major League Baseball halts its voting for the 2017 All-Star Game. On Sunday at 7 p.m., the rosters for both teams will be announced on ESPN.

For the first time since 2011, the Orioles may land only one player on the American League team. They certainly won’t get a starter. Manny Machado was fifth among AL third baseman in the most recent vote released this week while Welington Castillo was fourth among AL catchers. No other Oriole was in the Top 5 of the positional voting.

The question now is, who will be the Orioles’ All-Star?

About two weeks ago I thought it might be Castillo. He has good numbers, catcher is never a particularly deep position and no other Oriole was soaring above others at their respective positions.

But both second baseman Jonathan Schoop and first baseman/outfielder Trey Mancini have raised their already solid games recently. And so I’ve reconsidered my guess, with apologies to Castillo.

Houston’s Jose Altuve should start at second base – and that’s earned – but Schoop’s numbers are right there in arguably the deepest position in the AL. He’s leading second baseman in homers and has made a case that he deserves a nod over (or at least alongside) such stars as Robinson Cano, Dustin Pedroia and the injured Starlin Castro.

Mancini is arguably having the best campaign of any AL rookie not named Aaron Judge. Plus, he has position flexibility. He can be used at first base or outfield, which may give him an advantage if the final few roster spots come down to position.

Along with Castillo, I guess we need to throw in starter Dylan Bundy and de facto closer Brad Brach for consideration. But I think they are longshots.

It is possible the Orioles get two All-Stars, but given the team’s mediocre play, I’d be somewhat surprised if that happens.

Here’s my guess: I say Schoop, who has been an emerging player for a couple seasons now, will get his due. And everyone in the Orioles’ clubhouse will be thrilled for the likable and hard-working Curacao native.

And then I’m going to say that Mancini will also be recognized for his impressive rookie contribution with a spot in the “Final Vote,” competition, which allows fans to select one more player to make each league’s team.

It also wouldn’t surprise me if Mancini makes the team and Schoop ends up in the “Final Vote.”

Now, it’s time for your prediction.

Tap-In Question: Who do you think will represent the Orioles in the 2017 All-Star Game?

1. TxBirdFan

June 29, 2017 at 9:31 am

Mancini, Schoop and Mancini are the best candidates, but I’d like to see Adam Jones squeeze in. He’s been playing well over the past month after a slow start, he’s a fan favorite, and does a great job representing the Orioles.

June 29, 2017 at 9:40 am

Agreed as to Jones’ contributions to the overall team. But several other players have better numbers. And that’s what will determine this.

June 29, 2017 at 10:26 am

Ubaldo … hic °

Ex’scushe me bartender … muscht be the Canadian beershts. ‘eh? They somestimest cloud my judgeshment. hic °

June 29, 2017 at 10:41 am

Cut off (again). Let’s get you a fake über.

• Osfan73

June 29, 2017 at 2:15 pm

Lol There’s not enough beer in Milwaukee to get a person lit up enough to vote for Ubaldo.

3. Creatively_19

June 29, 2017 at 11:10 am

I think Schoop gets the pick and perhaps Trey Mancini gets put on the fan’s choice ballot but loses to somebody else.

I’ll be absolutely honest, I have been completely uninspired to vote for the All-Star game this go round, so apologies to the O’s not making it. My bad.

June 29, 2017 at 11:21 am

I think it is a tough year to get behind Orioles as All-Stars because their stars have not lived up to the expectations and the team has been so mediocre. That said, they do have several guys who are having All-Star worthy campaigns. Primarily the two main guys I have mentioned.

4. Liamandcarolinesdad

June 29, 2017 at 12:11 pm

In all honesty, I wouldn’t be surprised if in typical all star game fashion, if Britton is rewarded for past accomplishments and given a nod. Not sure how that would all play out as far as Buck “letting” him go, but it’s just a thought.

Schoop is definitely deserving, and I could absolutely see Dan’s final prediction for Mancini playing out. I can’t say how he’ll fare in that scenario until we see the competition though. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Brach get an invitation.

June 29, 2017 at 1:46 pm

I just don’t think the Britton thing would happen. Just hasn’t pitched much and the competition for spots — especially to get a rep from every team — is too tough.

5. Raymo

June 29, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Year upon year I hope that none of our guys go to the ASG. I want those guys home resting and healing while the others wear themselves out. Now how about another Labatts please bartender.

June 29, 2017 at 1:47 pm

The way it stands now, every team has to have a representative. And Labatts on its way.

6. Oriole Dan

June 29, 2017 at 12:56 pm

Do you remember, back in spring training, when I predicted Manny, Adam, CD and Britton wouldn’t make the all-star and I said “Trey Mancini or Schoop would be our representatives on the team”??? — I ended up placing a $5 wager on that in Vegas. The odds were big. I’ll be moving into my new mansion in August. — Ok fine, none of that ever happened. 🙂

June 29, 2017 at 1:47 pm

We all can dream and fantasize. I mean, I run a fake bar.

7. Winger

June 29, 2017 at 1:50 pm

Send Ubaldo. A proper rep of our starters

June 29, 2017 at 4:17 pm

That’s not nice. Funny. Not nice.

• Mau

June 30, 2017 at 6:54 am

I said almost 2 weeks ago that Ubaldo was the only O’s starter who could throw a no hitter one night and give up 10 runs in the first inning his next start. Before last nights start he gave up 8 runs in 1 2/3 innings I think and last night carried a 2-hitter through 8. He’s getting there.

8. Osfan73

June 29, 2017 at 2:21 pm

I say Schoop and Mancini SHOULD go. They’ve played the best this first half and consistently too. I personally like to see new names in the All Star game each year and these guys fit the bill there as well.

9. Osfan73

June 29, 2017 at 2:30 pm

You mentioned Brach and Bundy…..any other year they could be considered for an alternate or sub, and either way i’d love to see them make the All Star team/game , but the problem is that this staff through no fault of Bundy/Brach has been historically bad this season so far and i’m afraid guilt by association would keep ANY Os pitcher out.

June 29, 2017 at 4:19 pm

I think it is more based numbers and fit in filling out the rest of an AS roster. If they are the best fit, they’d make it, regardless of the staff I think.

10. Ben1

June 29, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Scboop.

June 29, 2017 at 3:43 pm

Schoop is the most deserving, but no way he makes the team in the same league with Pedroia, Altuve and other brand names. Mancini probably should as well, but as an outfielder because, again, you are dealing with guys with the name recognition to get them in.

My pick? Whoever they got in the Oriole Bird costume this season. The guy is bringing it. I don’t know if they hired somebody new or what, but the last few games I’ve been to have been the first time I’ve really been pumped up by the Bird since about 1987 or so.

June 29, 2017 at 4:20 pm

I think that’s the Mascot Olympics. Not the AS Game. Easily confused.

• Bancells Moustache

June 29, 2017 at 5:40 pm

I don’t know Dan, the way things are going he might end up in the rotation soon.

12. Glstem

June 29, 2017 at 6:10 pm

castillo

June 30, 2017 at 12:15 pm

I don’t see that now. Especially w another injury.

13. ComeBack2Camden

June 29, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Schoop is the only really viable candidate. Manny might get it, but that would be a career and name recognition issue only.

June 30, 2017 at 12:10 pm

I don’t know. Manny is the best player but I cant imagine a scenario where he’s viewed as the Most worthy All Star.