Where are they now? Taking a look at the 2016 Orioles who have flown the nest - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Paul Folkemer

Where are they now? Taking a look at the 2016 Orioles who have flown the nest

If you think the 2017 Orioles look a lot like the 2016 squad, that’s not a surprise — they’ve brought back nearly two-thirds of last year’s roster. With the Orioles re-signing outfielder Michael Bourn and outfielder-turned-pitcher Dariel Alvarez to minor league deals last week, 30 of the 47 players who appeared in a game for the Orioles in 2016 are in the organization now — in the majors, minors or on the disabled list.

A handful of last year’s Orioles, however, have moved on to new homes in 2017. Here’s a look (in alphabetical order, except when doubled up with one team) at where they are now and how they’ve fared so far in this young season.

Prev1 of 15

1. bill-s

April 17, 2017 at 7:48 am

Very interesting. Not much success among these guys, except for McFarland and Weiters. I would love to see this report updated a month from now.

April 17, 2017 at 3:40 pm

We expect to update it on occasion. At least at the all star break.

2. Stacey

April 17, 2017 at 8:30 am

Can’t say I miss any of these guys.

3. claudecat

April 17, 2017 at 8:50 am

The only one of these guys I miss is Julio Borbon, who I thought sorta got a raw deal with us, having to play in Bowie and all while having already put up decent MLB numbers. I mean, is Bourn all that much better, if at all?

• Paul Folkemer

April 17, 2017 at 9:01 am

Borbon had a decent rookie year with the Rangers in 2009 but never really reached that level again. Bourn has a much longer track record of success in the majors than Borbon does. Even though Bourn is no longer in his prime, I think I’d take him over Borbon, who seems like more of an organizational player at this point.

• claudecat

April 17, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Can’t really argue with that, but the difference may not be all that significant. Seems a shame that we couldn’t have kept Julio somehow, a guy who, at the very least, was a burner on the bases. Plus he did well in extremely limited action last year. As did Bourn with more AB’s, but I think I’m more confident in Borbon defensively. Hmm… I guess I did argue with that after all! Point taken though. Thanks!

4. Ben1

April 17, 2017 at 11:08 am

so far O’s doing just fine without all these guys

5. John in Cincy

April 17, 2017 at 5:40 pm

Worley “is toiling at Triple-A New Orleans…”.
    ………………………………………..
    Just an observation here on baseball reporter jargon. Usually, when I see that some player is “toiling”, it’s in reference to someone in the minors, which is somehow at once an appropriate, but peculiar usage. After all, we’re talking about someone playing a game, not working in the cotton fields of the antebellum South.

But, if you’re stuck in the minors, but have had a taste of the bigs, the whole step down to bus rides, cheaper hotels, etc., could make it more of a grind.

How might toiling be used regarding major leaguers? I think I’ve seen it for a starting pitcher who’s been struggling for several innings. Maybe it’s also been applied to someone stuck on a bottom feeding team.