2017 AL East Positional Rankings: Outfielders, designated hitters and benches - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Paul Folkemer

2017 AL East Positional Rankings: Outfielders, designated hitters and benches

Welcome to Part Two of my AL East position comparisons. If you’re just checking in, the premise is simple: I’m ranking the five teams in the division at every position.

I started with the infield in Part One. Today, let’s move on to the outfielders, designated hitters, and bench players.

Spoiler alert: After taking one top spot on the infielders’ list, the Orioles get shut out of first in this one.

Prev1 of 6

April 1, 2017 at 9:44 am

I don’t know Paul, while I can agree the O’s bench isn’t top notch, calling it completely worthless is a bit over the top. Mancini is a wild card, and any team that had to stick a former All-Star down on the farm just to give him a paycheck can’t be that desperate.

• Paul Folkemer

April 1, 2017 at 10:52 am

It’s not completely worthless, and in fact the bench could play a much more important role this year with platoons in both LF and RF. But in recent years it’s seemed as if the Orioles’ regulars get very few days off because Buck isn’t comfortable with his backup options, particularly in the infield.

It’s true that the addition of Mancini gives the Orioles a pinch-hitting option — he hadn’t been announced to the roster when I wrote that, so that changes things a bit. But even still, I’m not sure how long he’ll be around. He could be squeezed off the roster once the team needs a fifth starter on April 15.

2. Stacey

April 1, 2017 at 10:23 am

I wish Kevin Kiermaier was an Oriole. That would be swell.

April 2, 2017 at 11:20 am

Well, the Rays just locked him up for a while. So that will have to wait.

3. Eldersburg Enigma

April 2, 2017 at 10:10 am

Didn’t realize just how poor overall the corner outfield spots are in this division (outside of Beantown). Yikes!

April 2, 2017 at 11:21 am

Yeah. And Boston might have the best overall outfield in baseball cuz those guys are all young.

Copyright © 2016 BaltimoreBaseball.com | BaltimoreBaseball.com is an unofficial site that is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Baltimore Orioles. Partner with USA Today Sports Digital Properties.