Which leftover free agents fit with the Orioles? - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Paul Folkemer

Which leftover free agents fit with the Orioles?

While pitchers and catchers report to spring training next week, there are still dozens of MLB free agents that remain unsigned. That may bode well for the Orioles, who in recent years have signed last-minute additions during or after the break of camp.

Here’s a deeper look at some potential fits:

Prev1 of 8

1. Eldersburg Enigma

February 9, 2017 at 8:09 am

I hadn’t heard Franklin Gutierrez’s name before now. Tough to add another OF when juggling two Rule 5 guys along with Buck wanting a bigger bullpen, but if you can get him on a minor league deal, why not do it?

2. rebusgadfly

February 9, 2017 at 9:19 am

still partial to Michael Bourn as a late inning replacement for Trumbo and DH someone else

3. bowie2bmore

February 9, 2017 at 9:45 am

I was so surprised that it wasn’t LaTroy Hawkins who held the record…and then I looked it up and he’s darn close but only eleven. Twelve is a lot of teams!

4. Wade Warren

February 9, 2017 at 10:02 am

Michael Bourne is a must sign

5. tpg21152

February 9, 2017 at 10:30 am

I like Bourne the most. If you had to lay some money down/give odds, who do you think it will be Paul?

• Paul Folkemer

February 9, 2017 at 11:10 am

Of the outfielders, I think Bourn is the one the O’s are most likely to sign. Pagan’s and Gutierrez’s injury history could scare off the O’s, and they already have familiarity with Bourn. It’s not the direction I’d go — I’d rather have a right-handed bat who can start against lefties — but I think it’s what they’ll do.

6. Stacey

February 9, 2017 at 10:36 am

They really need someone who can back up Jones and give him a rest in 2017. I guess as the roster is constructed now that’s Rickard but if Gutierrez can still play the occasional CF well then he seems like a great option.

• Paul Folkemer

February 9, 2017 at 11:12 am

I’d be happy with Gutierrez for his lefty-mashing skills, but his defense is a real question mark. He hasn’t played CF since 2013, so I think these days he’s restricted to corner OF duty at most.

7. HOF19

February 9, 2017 at 12:46 pm

Like Wood and Bourn.

February 9, 2017 at 1:38 pm

I’d sign Bourn, but I’m really intrigued with rule 5 guy from the Sox organization Tavarez. My gut says they’re going to try and keep him on the roster. Not sure how Bourn would fit if that were the case.

And oh yeah, welcome Mr. Folkemer. Good luck, this is a tough crowd around here. Hah!

9. bigdaddydk

February 9, 2017 at 5:35 pm

I’d sign Pagan and/or Bourn for outfield depth and speed. Plus, Pagan is coming off of a strong season. If he hit 12 bombs playing in that cavern they call a ball park in SF, he’ll do just fine at OPACY. If they could grab a few arms on minor league contracts, all the better. A few more that could be shuttled back and forth to Norfolk.

10. whiterose

February 9, 2017 at 8:58 pm

Strange that Wood would still be available, being lefty with that ERA?

• bigdaddydk

February 10, 2017 at 8:52 am

With all of those starts, is he someone that could start more than just in spots, or is he completely relegated to swingman role? He appears to be on a better trajectory as a reliever than as a starter, statistically speaking. His last year as an exclusive starter he had a 5.00+ ERA, 1.5+ WHIP, and SO/W ratio of less than 2.0. Since then, his WHIP and ERA are down, although his SO/W ratio hasn’t changed much. He can pitch some innings though. He threw 61 last year, but the year before, primarily in the swingman role, he threw 100. He’s thrown as many as 200. I wonder if he could slot in as a starter for 15-20 per year. He pretty much got pushed out of a starting role based on the Cubs’ strength of rotation, a problem which the O’s don’t have.

He allows 1 HR per 9 over his career. Not great, but not too hateful. He’s not great versus righthanded hitters, but he slays lefties. By comparison, Wade Miley makes him look pretty good, especially versus lefties. Plus, Wood appears to be statistically on a better trajectory than Miley, who came into MLB as a pretty solid pitcher and has regressed pretty seriously to where he is now. Both are right around league average for career in ERA+, but Wood has gotten better. Miley has gotten worse.

If Wood can throw starter innings, I’d stick Miley in the pen and hope at some point someone (Seattle, I’m looking at you) is interested in acquiring him before the trade deadline for a decent OF prospect. Probably wishful thinking, but the O’s, aside from the Miley trade to begin with, have taken Seattle to the cleaners a couple of times in trades.

In any case, your comment prompted me to take a closer look at Wood, and I also wonder why he’s still there with his potential. It’s not like he hasn’t attracted interest. ESPN said back in December that there were 10 teams eyeing him. With the dearth of pitching talent in FA this year, I’m surprised he’s still on the market.

11. Eldersburg Enigma

February 10, 2017 at 11:51 am

Ynoa what? Today’s trade baffles me.