It's official: Trumbo's an Oriole - BaltimoreBaseball.com

Dan Connolly

It’s official: Trumbo’s an Oriole

Photo credit: Joy R. Absalon

Mark Trumbo has passed his physical and the Orioles again have one of the most powerful lineups in the American League.

The 31-year-old Trumbo, who led the majors with 47 homers last season, returns on a three-year deal worth $37.5 million.

He’ll join a nucleus that made the playoffs last season, and is basically intact through 2018. Trumbo, first baseman Chris Davis and second baseman Jonathan Schoop are the Orioles’ only starting position players that are currently signed for 2019.

Trumbo likely will play various positions next season. The club would like for him to be the primary DH as well as filling in for Davis at first and also playing some right field, where he was the primary starter last year.

The Orioles were hoping to upgrade their outfield defense for 2017, and haven’t yet accomplished that this offseason.

Bringing back Trumbo was a priority, however, and like re-signing Davis last year, it took time but eventually the Orioles orchestrated a deal.

And it appears to be an excellent financial agreement for a player with prodigious power that just turned 31 this week. Trumbo’s reputation as a limited defender, a market heavy with power hitters and the concept of losing a top draft pick if another team signed him apparently lowered Trumbo’s value as a free agent.

Still, he received a raise from his $9.15 million salary last year and has a sense of security for the next three seasons. The Orioles are his fourth team since 2013, and Trumbo said several times in 2016 that he was hoping to return to Baltimore and be part of the same club for several years.

ADVERTISEMENT

To make room for Trumbo on the 40-man roster, the Orioles designated outfielder Adam Walker for assignment. The club had claimed Walker off waivers from the Milwaukee Brewers in December.

10 Comments

10 Comments

  1. Bancells Moustache

    January 20, 2017 at 5:12 pm

    Ok Dan, at the end of the year I said that Trumbo should take the QO. There were too many questions about his consistency and too many other sluggers on the market. I thought that taking 17 mil for one year and tearing it up in OPACY for one more season would give him the ability to name his price next winter. He now appears to have missed his 80 mil target by a whopping 43 million bucks. Do you still believe he shouldn’t have accepted the QO?

    • Bancells Moustache

      January 20, 2017 at 7:50 pm

      And just to clarify, Im not trying to be some snarky, internet wiseass or any thing. Just think it warrants consideration

      • Boog Robinson Robinson

        January 21, 2017 at 10:34 am

        ‘Stache, I’m not trying to be a wiseass either, but where does the “80 mil target” come from? Did he or his agent throw that out there at some point? Again ,not questioning you, I know you follow things closely … I’m just honestly wondering where that number comes from? I musted have missed a day to two.

      • Boog Robinson Robinson

        January 21, 2017 at 10:34 am

        ‘Stache, I’m not trying to be a wiseass either, but where does the “80 mil target” come from? Did he or his agent throw that out there at some point? Again ,not questioning you, I know you follow things closely … I’m just honestly wondering where that number comes from? I must have missed a day to two.

    • Dan Connolly

      January 21, 2017 at 12:37 pm

      Stache: I know $80m was floated but I never heard it and never reported it. I really don’t think that was ever in play. I guess knowing that the QO will be so different next year, in retrospect he should have taken it. But these guys crave some security and Mark had been w 4 teams in 4 years. So having some stability in a place he likes certainly played in to his decision.

  2. ZantiGM

    January 21, 2017 at 12:58 pm

    Dan, do u think o’s invite walker to ST if he clears waivers? do u think o’s have any interest in franklin gutierrez for RF platoon?

    • Dan Connolly

      January 21, 2017 at 1:32 pm

      I do think walker would be at ST as a non-roster if he clears. Gutierrez is intriguing, but it’s all about cost for him. Injuries have made him a real risk.

  3. Amazing

    January 21, 2017 at 12:58 pm

    I’m not really sure about this so you can tell me if I’m right or wrong. but, wasn’t the deadline for accepting the qualifying offer before they negotiated the new CBA? I don’t think you can make a good decision there off the assumption that the Q O is going to change

    • Dan Connolly

      January 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm

      It was. But I do think most expected it to be changed dramatically. Was one of union’s top issues. But there was some ambiguity. Sure.

  4. bigdaddydk

    January 21, 2017 at 8:29 pm

    I just hope he adjusts to hitting southpaws this year. He was awful against them, as was pretty much the whole lineup, last year. It would be nice to be over .500 against lefties this season, particularly with Boston practically having nothing but lefties.

You must be logged in to post a comment Login or Register Here

Leave a Reply

Copyright © 2016 BaltimoreBaseball.com | BaltimoreBaseball.com is an unofficial site that is not affiliated in any way with Major League Baseball or the Baltimore Orioles. Partner with USA Today Sports Digital Properties.

To Top